Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *oldsboy*_T-sedan build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldsboy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

lookin good! cant wait to hear that flattie gurggling down the road :)

2. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

these are the kinds of builds that make me think "i could do that" and really make me want to! this is just to awesome. keep it up!

3. alchemy

alchemy

Are you the Lincoln guy I met at the HAMB Drags a few years ago, hanging out with Jess? You work at Speedway?

4. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I think a milder chop would look better. Something like this? Cool car though, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Attached Files:

5. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

sick work man. you're well on your way to having a nasty hotrod! I'll be looking to see this one finished.

6. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

You said you liked the look of the heavily chopped lakes or Bonneville style. But there is a BIG difference in craming yourself into a heavy chop for the few minutes of a speed run and being wadded up for two hours on the road. I have a 5 1/5" chopped T coupe [it was already chopped when I got it] and I'm concerned about fudging somehow to get back a bit more head room.
    Put a piece of plywood or cardboard in at your proposed chop, figure out your seating, and see if you can live with it. It's easier to cut off more than put it back if you go too far.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Wow! Those pedals look killer. It was nice of Richard to give you the hot weather discount.

You're doing a killer job.

(and you seem to have scared the locals with your proposed chop...)

8. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

That was me. I still fantasize about your '32 from time to time-do you still have it?

(Sorry for the mini-hijack Ryan.)

9. oldsboy

oldsboy

Yeah I was surprised, but I think I'll do the same and pass on the savings to you if you want the 40's they're yours.

You make a good point OH. I'm going to be postponing any type of thought regarding the chop until the very end as I have some body mods to get to which will impact the proportions and in the end effect the amount of chop.

I like the idea of building a temporary roof to figure out the head clearance.

10. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

More Nice work Man!

Nick.

11. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Isn't build chassis the badest fucken thing in the world!!!!!

I've been wating for some input from you Homie.

Nice work. Yeah, take the chop slow, Im 6'0" & my "T" is stock except for the seat pushed back a little, & its pretty tight.

12. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Oh yeah, lower it more. with that front end, you could slam it!!

13. Great job! I love the engineering that goes into your build.
    It'll all pay off on that first drive!

14. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

15. oldsboy

oldsboy

16. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome!

ps -- chop it all you want, hot rods arn't suppose to be comfortable!

17. oldsboy

oldsboy

Well, the last few weeks have been productive on a few levels. Might have found a job as well as a potentially running flathead (thanks to Timm and his new '46). All of which has been motivated me enough to get some body work done on the T.

Started out by sectioning the header panel. I did take some photos as I haven't seen anyone do this, but I think thats because its a pretty simple procedure, regardless they're here.

The header lead to raising the cowl and straightening out some patch panels that were installed a few years ago on the lower portion of the cowl. I wanted to raise the cowl to achieve a proportion the T's (to me) are some what lacking, however all credit for the idea goes to the "bad news" T from the choppers.

Also I wanted to try and run a stock '32 grill shell with the potential of a hood on the car without having to section it because I love the proportions of a stock deuce shell.

Regardless take a look, let me know, I did more photoshop play earlier tonight for kicks.....

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  18. oldsboy

oldsboy

Header Panel.

1. mark it.
    [​IMG]

2. cut it.
    [​IMG]

3. align it.
    [​IMG]

4. weld it.
    [​IMG]

and finally
    5. paint it.
    [​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  19. oldsboy

oldsboy

Cowl.

The whole process turned out not too bad once one figures out how Henry put the darn thing together so you can get it apart.

Ended up making the pieces to add in...
    [​IMG]

Who needs a break...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I'll have to do a little more finishing work when the time comes but its as clean as it needs to be for now...

Everything installed...
    [​IMG]

Proportions....its all about proportions.
    [​IMG]

Oh and I came up with some fun parts ... thought I'd share.

Navarro Intake and the "Made In Canada" 59a Aluminum Heads! I actually ended up scoring the heads from the same fellow I've acquired about 70% of all of my parts from including the body.

Parts just keep showing up....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    Shadow Creek and brEad like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

as easy as 1,2,3... urm, 5~ haha. stoked for you to get this motor! one step closer to you rolling around flathead style :)

21. NealinCA

NealinCA

I just found this build thread. You got me interested on the first page with the home made door hinges...nice work. The build is coming along nicely. I like the X-member install as well.

Keep the progress pics coming.

Neal

22. chaddilac

chaddilac

Cool!! Looks great.... might I suggest a 1" header.... cause when you put the windshield in you'll have 2" there. I wish I had gone with a 1" header.

23. Great build! I've been contemplating a similar x member for my car. It great to see it in pictures.

24. oldsboy

oldsboy

I considered that, but got nervous when I cut it all apart, I just wanted something to weld back toget5her. The actual overall height of it is around 1.5", so we're getting there.

Thanks for the interest and words everyone, helps to assure me I'm on the right path....

brEad and 40Mike like this.
  25. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks Hitchhiker, I was in the same boat for awhile before doing the crossmember. It just seemed like a good idea as opposed to making one, if you have access to an existing frame. Seeing how everything is all there if your running a trad. drive line. Good luck on the build!

26. 510madmav

510madmav

Wow! Awesome fabrication. I really like how you fitted the x member.

27. BTW it looks like that flathead you were originally posting about is a relieved block. Kinda desirable.

28. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's cool... I thought my 2" header looked good, till I installed the windshield frame then I wished i had gone with a 1" header... the 1" of the frame fills it back in.

29. oldsboy

oldsboy

I have to admit this is my first experience in dealing with flatheads, how does one find out if a block is relieved?? would it be more beneficial to run this block if its good that is...?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  30. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

that intake is cool. also love where the rear tires ended up in the fenderwells. looks really really good.