Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is one flare nut on pre-fab brake lines longer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, May 11, 2011.

1. early jeep 4x4

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm convinced it's just to piss me off, because it does. I spent 25 years in a brake shop and never saw a need for one. I always buy some short nuts and replace the long ones before I make any bends. I've probably got a dozen or so long ones around here someplace. I'm too tight to throw them away.:D

3. Great, never paid any attention before, now it's gonna bug me. Now I'll have to redo them. lol

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I figure it was for some application that i have never run across. If i dont need to cut the line for length, I just leave it, really who's looking that hard? especially when i drive by at 50

5. bad, I'll give you some perspective here hopefully. yes the 1/8 inch can be significant, heres how. If you are talking about a fitting 1/2 inch long, that's the same as 4/8 of an inch. 1/8 of an inch is 1/4 of that that, so you have actually increased the fitting size by 25 percent. Its not supporting the long run any better, but the area around the fitting junction, or connection where it is prone to leakage. Just think about increasing your engines torque by 25 %. I am just trying to shed some light, thanks for listening, TR

6. I second that! I also put the longer end at the junction

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

x2, I've never run into one that's bottomed out, but sometimes it's difficult to get a wrench on the flats because the bleeder screw/anchor is in the way.

8. backroads

backroads

yea this is nice to know but i've never ran into the issue

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone is sitting in there office somewhere saying,
    'See, I knew this would fuck them over and cause no end of debating!'

Doc.

10. It's because of the angle of the dangle. But I'm just guessing.

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Guilty! lol

12. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Hmmm....prhaps one of lifes truly deep and ancient secret mystories like why are there ten wieners in a package but always twelve buns to a package?

13. Add me to the I dunno colum. I have read some of the responses and they all make sense but I have never known either and have had lots of people ask me over the years. Now I know something to say other than, "because they ran out of the shorter ones?"

14. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

One's left, one's right....or is it top and bottom...or front and back...

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this post reminds me of what my Dad always told me: "Stop asking so many stupid questions" :D

16. The Ol' Man had a cresent wrench he used to say that with. Now I have it but i can't figur out how to throw it through my tube without trashing it. :D:D

Actually questions from the skinny kid was how we used to peel him off the ceiling when he was all wound up. He always had time to answer me for some reason.

reminds me of a story. Well maybe another thread for that.

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm pretty sure it's to make up for the other short ones. :D Lippy

18. Sho nuf on a 50 de soto

19. According to the Fedhill brake line technical section, the longer nut is used in high vibration applications.