Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 speed shifter used on 4 speed trans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by emaleta, Jul 27, 2011.

1. emaleta

emaleta

ever heard of someone making a 3 speed shifter work on a 4 speed trans? I was talking to this guy that says it is possible and works good, is he blowing smoke up my tailpipe?

2. Got one on my 56 T Bird. Its the original 3 speed mechanism.

I use the cable designated for the "Overdrive" feature to engage reverse.

Cant even tell its a 4 speed tranny.Looks like an original Ford 3 speed setup-but it ain"t!

Oldmics

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

An "H" is an "H"; use a HD throttle cable for Reverse, your 3-speed , now 4-speed shifter is in neutral.

4. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

Ok you guys are talking automatic 4 speed. I was thinking 3 pedal 4 speed, it made my brain cramp. So carry on

5. Well I am referring to a 3 pedal (as in clutch pedal) ,4 speed manual transmission.

Oldmics

6. emaleta

emaleta

Sorry I should have said manual trans.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Four position 'H' pattern to select ranges on an automatic transmission?

H-D throttle cable to engage reverse from 'neutral'?

If you could shift an automatic with this, it'd make MY brain cramp!

Reading comprehension not an option where mere linkage is concerned...

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

As Oldmics said, all you need is some sort of lever with rod or cable to get reverse to work.

9. lickitysplit

lickitysplit

I have a friend that uses a Jeep tower on his Ford toploader 4 speed without a cable for reverse. I've believe that the Jeep tower has to also be a 4 speed. I've seen the tower he uses and remember that it was aluminum. Hope this helps, Mike.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've thought about this off and on. Lends itself well to the sleeper theme...somethin' from the '40s maybe. At first I was thinking a small simple floor-shifter for reverse. But a good double-action electric solenoid would do the trick.

11. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Back in the 70's when Hurst made competition plus 3 speed shifters, I ran one, and ran a rod fom the reverse lever up to the front of the shifter, with a small ball on it. I welded a loop on the front side of the shifter to support the rod, the only thing you had to make sure you weren't in reverse, and one of the 4 forward speeds at the same time, worked great as a reverse lockout
    I just realized you must be talking column shift, I almost tried it on my 38 truck that I am building, but decided to go with a 3 speed on the yblock just for effect. I don't see why it couldn't be done with a little ingenuity

j-jock likes this.
  12. 73RR

73RR

As an added bonus, hide the reverse lever, then when you park the car and engage a forward gear and reverse it will make stealing the car alot harder if they can't find how to get it out of reverse...

13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Did it back in the 70's. Used a second lever to work reverse.

14. Yeah, I've done it several times....both times it was because of necessity...didn't have a 4 speed shifter for my 4 speed but had a killer Hurst Synchro-loc 3 speed shifter...same quality as the competition-plus 4 speed shifter, complete with shifter stops but only 3 shift levers...worked great both times.
    First time I did it with a Muncie 4 speed..fab'd up shifter levers from a stash of old used ones and put a T handle on the main lever.
    Used a 1/4 inch rod going to the reverse lever and you'd pull straight up or push down for reverse with the big lever in neutral.
    Next time I bougth a complete shift-kit from Hurst for a saginaw 4 speed in a camaro came with the shifter mount too... used all 3 levers but only the 2 shift rods...welded another Hurst handle directly onto the reverse lever so both handles were identical...
    Pop the main shifter in Neutral and push the other one up into reverse.
    Got a steep hill to park on but no park brake? Lock the tranny into reverse and 3rd...it ain't movin. Sometimes it's a little hard to get back out of gear when you're ready to go..small price to pay.

15. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Are you referring to a top-loader transmission ? If you are, I have a couple of solutions for you....

16. G. Anderson

G. Anderson
    from MN.usa

Yes, a lot of people (drag racers, street racers) did it back in the '60's and '70's

I had one on a T-10 4 spd. Hurst 3 speed shifter , reworked arms, with a seperate lever for reverse.

Worked great, '55 chevy 2dr post, built small block, street racer special!

Your Pal, Gary

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    j-jock likes this.
  17. jrlemke

jrlemke

Had one in my 68 Chev van. used the col. shift for forward and the e-brake with a cable for reverse. used a spring to pull it out of reverse. Worked for 5 years.

18. thesupersized

thesupersized

i've heard of people putting 4 speed stick shifts on a 3 speed column shifter and have a reverse lever located elsewhere.

19. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

It can be done, you just need a separate lever for reverse.
    Hurst used to make a "super shifter 3" for a 4 speed trans.
    [​IMG]

Mr Gasket used to make the "vertigate" shifter (which alot of original pro stock racers used to use).
    [​IMG]

20. If you plan to use a second lever or cable or? for reverse, it would be very easy to do. I suspect with a little (maybe alot) of work, a person could "add" onto the shift mechanism on the column to allow for another gate, which would then allow for reverse to remain on the column and even allow for a 5 spd. (although I don't know of any 5 spds that use external linkage)