Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hilborn conversion to EFI?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gunrack, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Gunrack

Gunrack

Could someone give me some idea's on my SBC Hilborn mechanical to EFI conversion? The intake has the bungs (GM) and fuel rails installed. I'm old and lost on EFI, but willing to learn. Can you build your own harness? What would be best?
    Thanks

2. ardyboy

ardyboy

I saw one on a 63 Chevy II at a car show once. The owner told me he just takes a harness out of a wrecked car along with the computer and changes it over. i never got into any details with him...wish I had.

3. Gunrack

Gunrack

I'm thinking your idea has to be a possibility. I'm aware there's aftermarket kits for throttle body mods, and they're not cheap. I have a bunch invested already, I just want to do it the best way, not necessarily the most or least expensive.
    Thanks!

4. Deuces

Deuces

Might want to go with one from a 5.0L Ferd.... :eek:

5. Elmer

Elmer

The new Holley kit comes with a harness and all the sensors.

6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Megasquirt?

I dislike EFI, though. My aspiration is rather to the ultimate microchip-free performance.

7. Nerner

Nerner
    from New Jersey

Holly and Fast have self tuning versions, no laptop needed.

8. novas4life

novas4life
    from vnc,wa

Check and see if you have any performance tuner shops in the area.Find a shop that isnt just imports.See if they set up systems from scratch.
    I have a guys that is going to help me set up my Hilborn 4 port with a Megasquirt system.He's also a dealer.
    They may be willing to give you info if your willing to buy parts from them.
    Brandon

9. You need a donor harness, computer and injectors from a "speed density" type injection system. If the donor has a mass air flow meter, you won't be able to make it work with your stack manifold.

There is a LOT of info on this out on the net, it's a very common conversion. Kinsler sells the entire setup for WAY too much money. Accel/DFI is (was) a common kit used with the Hilborn manifolds. If you don't know much about EFI/electronics, stay away from Megasquirt...

10. Gunrack

Gunrack

Thanks guys, sure appreciate the input. This has been the best source for me on a bunch of stuff. Most of the time some has already asked, and had my question answered! I just had to enter a search. It's been a lot of fun!