Register now to get rid of these ads!

Meet my 1949 buick roadmaster "Charlotte"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonnyonedrip, Oct 20, 2010.

1. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

Bought this car earlier this spring got it running the first week home. brakes all the way around were next. now starting on the body work

Attached Files:

2. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

NICE!!! That will make a sweet custom or Bomb cruizer.

3. Reijer

Reijer

Cool. I'll be following this project.

What are your plans?

4. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

resto mod i think, its a complete unmolested car came with almost all the parts from another car. the car is fairly solid but does have some rust issues in the rocker areas floors are solid same with the trunk floor even the seats are mostly there just turning to dust from time

more pics coming

Attached Files:

5. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

pulled the fenders off this weekend starting to work on them first its funny how this car rusted it must have been parked on grass for awhile

Attached Files:

6. Sauli

Sauli

Wow! That´s a helluva beautiful and classy car!

7. Lucky man - I love these cars.

8. sololobo

sololobo

Charlotte, you lookin fine momma. Love these cars, one of the hippest body styles to exsist. Good luck with the progress bro. ~Sololobo~

9. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Beautiful car man.

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

one of my all-time favorites. I hope you keep us posted. Good luck with the build

11. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

thanks everyone its seems the only pieces that i'm missing are the side trim on the fenders front and rear i have the door pieces does anyone know where i can get a washer fluid bottle all i have left of mine is some pieces of the top rim

Paul

12. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Charlotte has one heck of a smile there. Looks like she's glad you found her.

13. StuntmanJames

StuntmanJames
    from Denton Tx

Haha.. my Lincolns name is also "Charlotte"!

14. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

most of my cars are named after the place they came from this one came from Charlotte MI looks like this is the furthest away from home its been in its lifetime seeing as it was made in Flint MI one of 18000 made

15. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

ok here are the latest pics was working on my friends porsche at the same time had to weld in a roof pannel then was working on the front fender for charlotte

Attached Files:

16. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

more pics have to make sure you have the metal workers staple diet of doritos and coke lol

Attached Files:

17. ratt7

ratt7

Great start!

18. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Love the style of you car! can't wait to see your progress...

19. Sauli

Sauli

Just curious, would those pieces be shared with any other Buicks not particular to You model/body style? I guess 4dr Roadmaster fr fender -spear would work for You, since at least the front fenders are the same length, how about the rear qtr -spears? Are they divided different on said 4-dr Roadmasters, and/or are they the matching style on 2dr Supers? Just trying to broaden Your prospects on finding the missing pieces. Like I said, that´s a beautiful style of car well deserving of a proper renovation!

20. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

Well friends... It seems as work has reared it ugly head for me again, I'm currently working crazy hours out of town so no further work has happened on the buick I drove it around the yard this spring when we moved cars around in the garage and tucked her into bed way at the back. I have aquired(GF found and bought them for me for Xmas lol) some used front springs out of a 56 that look like they will work in the front and I have a set of 92 roadmaster wagon springs for the back to replace the torched ones... thats it for now, work looks like it will write off this year for me but should provide me with the funds to keep this project moving, good luck with everyones projects I hope to be wrenching soon...

Cheers
    Paul

21. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

Well friends... Work has finally let me out of its evil hands after almost 2 years....I have been off for a couple months now and getting through the have to do list first.
    I have now had the time to return to working on Charlotte. Before I even pulled her out of her special parking spot she was in a perfect position for me to replace the front springs. After pulling out the original tortured springs I found that the springs from the 56 would not work, the original springs have a small end at the top the 56 are straight over the whole length. After talking to my parts supplier he found me a close match from the rear of a 67 chev. Special thanks to Ralph at CWS Automotive in London Ont. now bought out by APC, good luck at your new possition there. After cutting off two rungs they fit in very well but are still a little tall I will know better when the front metal has been put back on, I can always cut off more later. After finally pulling her out from her long slumber I pulled the rear springs too. My parts supplier matched me a set of springs for the rear but they ended up to weak for the job I finally used the old spings from my 92 buick roadmaster they seemed to fit perfect, also no cutting.
    After my good luck with the springs I started to look at the bulging blisters at the top of the A pillers. I ended up cutting them open with the zip cut, lots of rust and debrise inside pretty much no metal left on the outside so its looking like the windshields are going to have to come out for repairs to be done.
    Other than charging the battery and starting right up after almost two years asleep and a short drive around the yard for a parking spot change thats about all I have to update about for now. I will try to get some new pics to post as soon as I get some more time.

Thanks for following my thread will try to post again soon.
    Paul

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  22. ausbuick

ausbuick

love those sedanette's dude.
    what condition are your rear fenders at the front bottom?
    cheers darren

23. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

They are pretty rough but I have a set of NOS skirts to get the right shape and size. I will try to take some picks of them too.. They are going to take alot more work than the front ones. I'm almost ready to re hang the fronts.

24. jr9162

jr9162

What's the story on the MGB?

25. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

The MGB well now that is a story.... Its prolly the lowest milage car in North America I have owned it for more than 25 years and never drove it on the road. In all that time is has only ever left the property twice once for paint and once I trailered it to a cruise night.
    It has 2300 kilometers on it original, now that sounds all cool and everything untill I tell you that in those 2300 kms the car has been in 3 major accidents. one a fire that pretty much finished the car except that it was brand new in 1978 at the time.. Another that was a hard front hit T bone that needed the replacement from the doors forward and a third a hard hit in the left rear quarter and its resulting replacement of the full quarter and wheel well.
    I call it the demon/devil car I am afraid to drive it... it hasen't killed anyone yet.... But it always drew blood everytime I worked on it. Maybe one of these years I will get brave and finally put plates on it and drive it.
    Its one of those hidden barn cars that you hear about but rarely get to see..
    I might be willing to part with it if someone was willing to chance their life with it.....
    The car was originally baby shit brown with slime brown interior it still has the original brown seats under the seat covers not sure if I will re dye the seats yet the rest of the interior has been changed to black. I still have the original rims but I prefer the slot mags. As of right now all it needs is some tires the ones on it are old and cracked the wipers sorted out and prolly a new top and toneau cover the ones with it are original and are prolly waY to shrunk now to fit.

Thanks for asking
    Paul

26. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

Ok its time to update some pics... Sorry its taken so long been working like crazy. Had some time off this fall so went to work on the front end. I finished the front fenders, repaired the inner fenders and started to repair the top of the A pillars....

Attached Files:

27. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

more pics...

Attached Files:

28. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

I love Buicks, cool score!

29. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

You already have the right color, just a litle wax and you will be set!

Attached Files:

30. ausbuick

ausbuick

good work man!!!