Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is your Hot Rod legit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 27, 2011.

1. plhildy

plhildy
    from Clovis, Ca

I have a good friend that is a CHP officer, he is more interested in the "rice rocket" type as there is a greater likelyhood of stolden parts. Also, it is very true that revenue is a VERY important part of the job. Remember California is flat broke! My fenderless '29 RPU in not on the road yet, so I had better watch out. Paper work is good.

2. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Thats a sweet corvette.Met you at pleasanton or turlock few years back. when you had this car inside......Have always like this car.

3. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

Its pretty obvious you've never run into a southern cop before. They have a whole different set of rules in the southeast US than everywhere else in the country.

4. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

I was thinking the same thing the other day about my car. I have passed many a highway patrol and local law enforcement officer without any problems. The pipes are loud even though I let off when I pass Johnny Law. Like the original post, I think they respect our vehicles and their owners as long as we are not creating any hazards to ourselves or others on the road. It is called enforcing the spirit of the law, not the letter of the law.

5. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Ya mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ8d4VN1MlE

6. Ive been fixin mine up over the last months but I will still sweat if sheriff Roy appears in his big Plymouth my rear view mirror!.......

7. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

i generally try to stay legit, but I've found thatas long as I'm behaving myself I can get away with lights being out, open headers, slicks, etc without a problem. Do 50 in a 25 and I seem to have aticket in my hand.

devin

8. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

Wow...another "I hate to police thread." Seems like there is as many of these as the "Whats it's worth thread." I'm heading to one of my fellow officer's funeral tomorrow...The third shot on duty in as many months. I'll let them know how some of you guys think of the job they do....And BTW. I make sure my cars are legal before I drive them...so shouldn't everyone else. Just a thought

9. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

I'm 100% legal. Never been pulled over. Most times I get a head nod from a passing officer of the law. Even though I only have one wiper, no horn, no bumpers, no signals, no window stickers, and one YOM tag (rear), I'm still 100% legal according to the state's laws regarding antique vehicles. I drive mine every day and haven't had an issue. I'm sure one day I'll have to school a rookie on the laws they are supposed to inforce, but that day hasn't come as of yet.

10. Rustyproject

Rustyproject
    from Clinton,Ms

Hot Rod isn't legit BUT Lack of revenue is making local cops write more tickets for everything. Huge hasssel if you drive alot for work. Dad is retired LEO and has been pulled over 5 times in last year. He used to think we hot rodders were exagerating how many times we got pulled over. Here is the kicker he is 89. Alot of it depends who pulls you over. I got hasseled bad a couple of years ago. He was baiting me to say something. Kept my mouth SHUT. Over end of spectrum got pulled over in a podunk town in Alabama doing 90 in a 30. I was a little worried I might go to jail. I was asking off before he hardly got to window. He called his buddy and was laughing about me asking off. I had to do some apologizing but he actually let me go with no ticket. As a kid I found out SS Chevys are a magnet for cops. I found out alot of towns will look the other way on stuff. I was riding at LSRU in pretty much an old racecar and we were never pulled over and it was really LOUD.

11. el shad

el shad

Its pretty obvious that you didn't read the whole thread. It is ignorant to assume ALL cops are poor/jealous and that's why they harass us. Pay attention.

The funny thing is when you guys neighbor defaults on their mortgage, loses their house, and some squatters move in or it turns into a meth house....... Wait.. All the sudden you are not cop haters anymore. In-fact you will call them ever so politely and ask for help with the problem.

Just food for thought.

To classify ALL of anything the same is extremely ignorant.

All women are tramps! Wait what about our wives, daughters, and mothers?

12. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Not all NC is that way......in Fayetteville they'll try and find something....whether or not it will get dismissed in court.

13. as Milner would say, "file that under C.S."

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  14. the-rodster

the-rodster

You just need to educate him on vehicle codes....

KRS/189-00/125.6

A person shall not operate a motor vehicle manufactured after 1981 on the public roadways of this state unless the driver and all passengers are wearing a properly adjusted and fastened seat belt.

15. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Quite honestly there usually isn't a ticket book thick enough for many of our cars, if the officer has the notion that is... I believe it is all about how you are spotted driving. I have illegal blue dot taillights, no windshield wipers, and an exhaust system which is darn near open header. However if I think the fuzz is around I'll drive like a grandmother on her way to teach Sunday school. Most cops like old hot rods and shit, believe me after looking at gang bangers all day they know who their true enemies are. Not to say there are not butt holes out there who will ruin your day... Just play it cool, and 90% of time you will be ok.

16. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

Actually your quote was to "the police" which you turned into "ALL police" and "under paid" became "poor", and then there's mostly jealous....

point it, it may surprise you that the majority of people have poor experiences with law enforcement, so wouldn't it be ignorant to think cops are cool when the majority of them aren't, on the contrary it would be educated to think that cops are not cool because 99% of the time you get pulled over they aren't...

if your driving a hot rod chances are in some way your not legit, same with choppers, their job is to catch you, your job is to not get caught

as far as people not liking cops but then calling them, your right, sadly people who don't like cops and won't ever call them are about as rare as getting pulled over by a cool cop these days...

now to stay on topic i'll give my cool cop story, Buddy and I were heading to the parts store in my work truck, 2007 chevy, signs all over it for construction company and we get lit up a block from my house. I'm in a hurry and annoyed and both of us are fairly shady looking and dirty. He asked for my paperwork and as I hand it to him he asks me what I'm working on, just as "none of your fucking business" is about to slip out I notice the 1930 YOM plates sitting in my center console and say "a model A", he says is it nice and I say I like to think so. So here's where it gets weird, he says hold on I'm going to give you a warning and walks to his car.

I stick my head out the window and yell over to him "did you just say you were giving me a warning?" he says "yes, do you want the ticket", I said "no, that's cool I've just never gotten a warning before..."

now I could write a book about all the times in the last 25+ years that I have had lame run ins with the cops, but this will support your arguement that not ALL cops are lame....

17. el shad

el shad

As I said I have be "Pulled over Mexican" and harassed for no reason other than my looks. I get it completely. I just dont dig generalizing anything as a whole.

I do however keep my rides legal (isnt hard to do at all in Yuma County) just to keep the negative attention away.

18. June 2010, driving the coupe to California, I'm in Virgina doing 82 (I wasnt paying attention) at 0430 in the morning, and a trooper got me.
    Good morning Sir, where are you going?
    California.
    In this thing? OK, let me run the registration.
    Umm, Officer? I need to tell you about the second violation. This tag is not registered to this car. The correct tag is in my trunk and I can get it for you. I run a 54 Maryland black with yellow letters coz it looks cool.
    He takes the tag back to his car and ran the registration.
    Sir, I knocked the speed down to 78 so I didnt have to write you up for wreckless driving. You would have to come back to Virginia and take a safe driving course. And, I aint worried about that tag. Thats what you people do, right?
    Yes Officer, thats what we do. Thank you. You know, I've owned this car for 16 years and have never been pulled over.
    Well Sir, I've been a trooper for twenty years and I have never pulled over one of these things.
    He was great, and he even told me what exit had the best coffee.

19. I think that we have strayed a bit from the is your car legit theme to cop hating.

Having come from a time when rodders really were hoodlums at least in the eyes of society and having a sordid past I have gained a certain dislike for people that pull me over for whatever reason. Doesn't matter how legit your car is, if you get pulled over for whatever reason and it turns out that you are pulled over just because they can, and then they try and find a reason after the fact you are not going to be very appreciative.

Jive Bomber is in Calif and as much as I hate to admit it, I am probably part of the reason that he got himself pulled over on a pretty tame moto-guzzi. Me and my cohorts, my father an his cohorts before me were not necessarily socially acceptable. I am afraid that the same applies to our life in a car as well.

I can recall the Ol' man doing things in or with a car that probably were not in the best interest of the "Leave it to Beaver" middle class types. Suffice to say that the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree.

I have stated that I do keep my vehicles pretty close to being safe, as in my brakes are up to par, I have wipers etc. Never the less anyone who knows me knows that I really don't do the rules well. I could give a flip if I have crossed all my T-s and dotted all my I-s. If it goes fast stops, fast and the lights work I'm good.

Is my car legit, well all of that is a pretty mute point when profiling comes into play. You don't have to have black hair or brown skin to be profiled, all you have to be is young and in a rod or on a bike. It helps to be a gray beard but it doesn't make you immune.

Around here they have pretty much lightened up on "classic" cars. that is a good thing for fellas like us. Tuners are the big deal now, ghetto cruisers are next on the list. As long as your car looks realitivley sound you are not as likely to get hastled.

One thing I have noticed that seems odd to me, you can run straight pipes on an oldy, or you can run zoomies and no one cares, but don't run open headers. Seems odd to me but I guess it is all about perception, open headers means you are looking for, or have been racing. At least that's what one of the local police officers told me.

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I stopped a guy for speeding and right away, he starts ranting about how cops have better things to do. I just smile and let him rant. Once it's over, he apologizes for the rant and I tell him I don't mind, all with a smile. He asks why I don't mind. I reach into the cruiser, pull out my cite book and say, "Cuz I always win in the end". To this day, when he sees me on the side of the roadway, he always stops to shoot the breeze. I never caught him speeding again.

21. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I have all of the safety garbage on mine. So much safety garbage, so little time.

22. historynw

historynw

Funny you mentioned red dots.....when I was out working or paper hanging I'd tell guys if I can barely see your tail lights on a clear night imagine some other person. They give me some dumb excuse that they were KQQL, well KQQL can get you hurt. I found glass red dots and put them on one of my cars....then I got questions where did you find them. I still have them even after trying out LEDs, I won't use halagon bulb too hot. I have found some new fangled 1157's I going to try. As for seat belts if they were on the car they are required here in NY. I've been finding most people put them in their cars now especially if they have kids or grand kids...it seems thats the norm. Mostly I've rarely stopped older cars but rice rockets well that a hole nother kettle of fish.

23. OK a little off topic but what the hell is a red dot and how will it make my already red tail light any better. its a jeweled thing like a real blue dot only red?

24. el shad

el shad

You dont even know what a red dot is.... Phhhhhhsh...

25. yellowdartdave

yellowdartdave
    from Jax, Fl

California 1973
    Got pulled into a random roadside inspection while on vacation.

Got a ticket (not a warning or fix-it deal) for 1 of my 2 license plate lamps being burned out.

Then they asked me to open the hood. Oopps. The only vacuum line was from the intake to the dizzy. Car was changed back to Euro specs with dual carbs and all.
    Got a 7 day fix-it and get it inspected ticket.

7 days later I was 2200 miles away and never paid the light ticket.

2002 I was at the Mopar Nationals in Columbus, Ohio. Myself and 4 other Mopars were culled out of a line of stopped traffic and written up.
    "Failure To Display A Front License Plate"

We were all from Florida which issues only 1 plate and requests that it be displayed on the rear. Cop said you are in Ohio and you have to a have a plate on both ends.

After a short discussion with his Lt. at the local police station, he had a very hard time explaining his actions.

And have been pulled over in Georgia for no apparent reason.
    Cop wanted to have a good look at my bike on the trailer.

His dad had one in 72..just like me.

[​IMG]

26. Nope don't have a clue never heard of one before this post.

I do know what a paper hanger is and if the fella in question is out kiting checks he needs to be stopped, and introduced to his new 6'4" finace named Bubba.

27. el shad

el shad

I haven't a clue either. Just like taking a poke a the caged bear every now and again.

I thought paper hanging was writing a ticket, at least that's my best bet.

28. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

I have driven my cars open headers / slicks on the city streets without a problem!

Wife and I was riding our horses in the park and copped a 125. ticket for riding on the "foot path" Yet its Ok for joggers, mothers with baby carts to be on our bridle trails!!!

HORSE-PUCKEY

29. Paper hanging is an older term (not that old) for writting bad checks. They were still using it in the '90s around here, the cops even used it that way.

I spelled fiance wrong in my post so her is my update a 6'4" fiance named Bubba.

Yea yea. I can't smoke in a non designated area but its OK for people to not smoke in a designated smoking area. :rolleyes:

30. LongT

LongT

I think that mine is 100% legit. I even keep the wiper on it.

I remember a friend when I was living in FL, late '60s. He received multiple tickets, all were equipment type stuff, from 1 cop at a park in Coconut Grove, part of Miami.

He went to court the judge asked how he plead. My friend said he was the victim of accelerated police activity in Coconut Grove on a Sunday afternoon, then told his story. Judge agreed and let him off all the tickets.

Shortly after on the same he got tickets from another cop. Court date was a different day. Same judge who remembered my friend. Let him off again.

I believe both of these were heavily influenced by the fact that my long haired, bearded friend was in a suit all cleaned up and showed respect to the judge.