Register now to get rid of these ads!

Color Chrome?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Devoted, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Devoted

Devoted
    from DFW Texas

Does anyone know how this is done? i would like to see more pics of this car or similar wheels using the same technique...

Attached Files:

2. That could be candy powder coat over chrome, the new spray on chrome with candy over that then clear coat.

3. 56oldssuper88

56oldssuper88

I think you might be right. Ive also seen some nice powder coat that was almost that shiny, almost. well not quite. Could it maybe be a high quality chrome paint?

4. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

it looks great, i was doing some research on powder coating not long ago and that was a option, candy powder over chrome

5. Cantstop

Cantstop

Thought this was a post about a Paul Simon song........those rims look killer, I agree they look like candy powder over chrome

6. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

Nope its paint over chrome or Candy green powder coat over chrome, but most shops will not powdercoat over chrome because of the heat. Alsacorp.com makes a clear for chrome that you can tint with their candy concentrate any color you want.

Check out
    www.alsacorp.com clear for chrome

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  7. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Devoted,The paint hasn't come off my wheels yet. My brakes must not be working. N.N.

8. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

9. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

my first thought was- oh, hell no... but i kinda dig it...

10. boss245

boss245

There are a couple of places to do/get this. One is the Alsa chrome paint with tinted clear over it-check out Alsa corp "Killer Chrome" there is "Spectra-Chrome" paint that can be sprayed, there was a red mustang at sema that was painted with it.
    Hope that helps.

11. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I know there are at least two different processes for doing colored chrome. Unfortunately I can't offer any details about them.

Putting paint or powder coat over chrome looks cool, but it is a show type finish. Because the coating is being applied over an extremely smooth surface it isn't very durable in real world use.

12. Ricerocket

Ricerocket
    from Florida

Check out spectra chrome

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Really...??? Seriously...???

I've used lacquer, enamel, acrylic enamel and urethane on the different wheels on my different cars for over forty years...and NEVER had any peel, discolor or generally fall off.

The color chrome on those wheels is probably Cosmic Chrome...which can be tinted with color to get that look. The pic that Al Consoli put up happens to be Cosmic Chrome on the wheels...Jake Moomey's Dad owns that car and I talked to him about it in Salina last year.

And Cantstop...that song title was "Kodachrome"...

R-

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Color Chrome" was a George Barris patented name, came in spray cans, available at all the 'discount' stores. (American Auto, Grand Auto, etc.) 1957-1962, popular downtown.

The "Wheelin' Saints" car club in Santa Clara considered it a "Custom Feature"!
    "Uh, I got porta-walls, Color-Chrome, Spider hubs, dual pipes, and shaved trunk..."
    A new prospective member actually said this at a club meeting. I was a 'guest visitor', my roadster was parked out front, amidst a group of '53, '54, and '55 Chevies, a '53 Pontiac, and some '54-'56 Buicks.
    Roadster wasn't registered yet, so I was sweatin' sneaking home...No chance of hiding amongst all those stockers with 'color chrome, porta-walls, and spiders'!
    I wasn't joining the club. Just visiting! LOL

15. Devoted

Devoted
    from DFW Texas

That Cosmic Chrome looks very Nice!!... 40StudeDude & N.N. yall got me.. i agree it works if its done correct, i tell you mann.. i've seen to many Hondas around here with paint and clear coat peeling off the wheels.

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Metal Cast by DupliColor. Sold at major auto parts suppliers such as PepBoys, Autozone, O'Reillys, etc...........etc.............

17. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Man... I've been wanting to make a DIY PermaStar Chrome http://www.goodrichtechnology.com/ alternative for while now, but I just dont have the budget or the time, basicaly is a Spray on chrome system based on the Durability of Powder coat coatings... but early results have not been too good...

man I wish I had the time and the money...

I bought the HF $69(2 years ago) Powder Coating kit, Clear Powder Coat and Silvering chemicals, the Silver came out looking like a mirror(in a metal spoon) over the powder coat clear coat, then I clear it with the same clear, it looked good for about 5 minutes but then unknown chemicals in the clear messed the Silver layer... :( I have a few ideas on how to overcome this but I just dont have the time or the money as of yet... maybe one of you are interested in taking a hack at this method in that case just let me know and I'll help you out ...

18. brad chevy

brad chevy

Cheap way to do it. Krylon X -metal paint. Had a small trailer for sale with chrome wheels on it. Used the stuff on the wheels,got more comments on the wheels than the trailer. Wheels sold the thing. Easy to use and comes in blue,green, red, burgundy and copper and purple.Costs $5 a can.Took a little practice pieces but looks good done right.:cool:

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      118.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      118.7 KB
      Views:
  19. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

well that's a Cheap way if you already have chrome rims..;)

20. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

that car was in a ton of mags awile back...he also owns that gold coupe that Al posted a pic up of. It's tinted spectra chrome...a chrome-like spray on material that looks pretty good actually....I've seen some stuff done with this first hand

21. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Awesome...! :cool:

22. Devoted

Devoted
    from DFW Texas

Found some info on the custom 54 on 0:25 he talks about the wheels
    <iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g0RHin1kYVI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

23. Devoted

Devoted
    from DFW Texas

Nice!:D

24. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

All the "chrome" on the car.....bumpers..headlight and tailight housings..etc were all sprayed with the stuff too

25. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

actualy is Silver wich is more expencive than Chromium...;)

26. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

I have to say if paint won't stay on your wheels,you have malfunctioning brakes. I don't think it matters much at all if it's over 100 degrees outside.

27. bm

bm

Base coat clear coat can take anything if it is preped right ... maybe not if you set it on fire (smile)

28. chubbie

chubbie

I've been powdercoating over chrome for many years, works great! but i like chrome better:eek:

29. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

can you tell the difference? I mean between Plain old chrome vs Clear(no pigments) Powdered chrome? I would have guess you could not...:confused:

30. mcflyart

mcflyart

it is spectra chrome it is just taped off and painted green chrome. over regular spray on chrome the web site is spectrachrome.com