Register now to get rid of these ads!

How hard would it be to build a model T coupe door.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, May 6, 2005.

1. tankwilson

tankwilson

I have quickly realized that finding a model T door is hard to get and expensive. Hey body guys how hard would it be to build a door if a guy had the body to go off of. I'm no body guy by any means but i am willing to take on a challenge. Would probably be in over my head but i am just dumb enough to try. Any got any plans on how or drawings

Thanks

2. The hard part is the beltline up.

3. tankwilson

tankwilson

Well think about it. Make a steel frame out of square tubing, buy or make the skin and the inside. I think with a lot of effort and time a guy could make one. Once you had one made i would think you could make several. How many on here would buy one or a pair if i started making them. What would they be worth??

Thanks

4. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

If you have to ask how hard it is, you cant do it.

On the other hand, if you "think" you can do it, I have a set of doors that have had the skins taken off a very long time ago and with a little thought, could be made into doors again.

5. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Do you have an Ewheel? Do you have a bead roller, a henrob or good gas welding set, or tig? do you have a sheet metal brake to form the straight parts. If you answered yes to all these, then you my fellow hamber should have at it!!!!! Oh yeah, don't forget a few body hammers and dollies.
    At least you will be working with fresh metal! Post your progress.

6. I bought FlatTops T door collection[8] [all from 4 dr] T....making them from these may work but they ARE different in several ways ...so the short answer is ;) not easy....

7. Squablow

Squablow

If you had the back half of a T two door sedan, you could cut the skin and window frame off of that and use it to make your door. You'd have a matching window frame and body lines on it and you'd just have to make an inner structure. Just an idea.

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

Look at the website where the guy made his own rear doors for a Divco, buy the lower half-door skins from Howells sheetmetal, You CAN do it! It would help a lot if you had an original if you want to make your door good enough to fool the purists and why settle for less?

9. Rand Man

Rand Man

I know where I can get four-door sedan model T doors. I have considered trying to widen them into coupe doors. How do the coupe and four-door doors differ (besides width)?

10. RANDMAN-the 4 door doors-[fronts]-/ are different in these ways[that I noticed:D ]
    the bottom from the beltmoulding down is shorter in height by about 1-1/2"
    the upper window frame portion is also not as tall.
    the posts are slightly wider at the point where they meet the door at beltline.....

11. tankwilson

tankwilson

Ok guys who has some doors that are close that i can make work? Jason..... wanna sell those door frames? Anybody else?

Thanks
    matt

12. tankwilson

tankwilson

Can someone post a good pic of a coupe door so that i know what a good one looks like. Also how tall and wide are they?

Thanks

13. "Smokey" built the doors on this car. In fact, he built about everything except the cowl top. I was at his shop to see the RPU doors in progress. He didn't have much for tools either....

15. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i look at fabrication this way. . .

if you figure you can do it cheaper and do a decent job of it, and you are happy with the finished product, be it a door, a windshield frame, or a patch panel... go for it.

seems every time i ask this kinda question, i usualy get the "sheesh ya cant do that" or "its gonna take all kinds of tools and time". . . i NEVER bother to actually try to do it.

however, if i just go ahead and try and build something most would say "not worth the effort" it usually comes out pretty decent. worst case is you end up wasting $20 worth of steel and a few hours of time.

i am going to be building doors (attempting to build) for my '29 dodge 5w coupe in the not to distant future here, and i hope you try and build some for yourself and post the results, good, bad or otherwise.
    if you learn something from an unsuccesfull try at fabrication, you learned something new, and others can also learn from it. not every "tech" post need be a crowning achievement. :D

16. Amen....

I am building doors for, not one, but TWO different T projects going on here, Nothing I have found in the way of real steel seems to have any doors attatched.

it may not be an exact duplicate of a gennie item, but so what? This isn't the 100 point concours show forum, this is about HOT RODS and KUSTOMS...if it aint modified, it's stock, and stock is boring. Usually....

someone (or several someone's, for variety's sake) should do a how-to on this very subject...hrm...may have to do that myself

17. Building a door from scratch, simple. This is for my 38 Chevy, but the princible should be simular; and hey I don't have any of the fancy tools either, would love them but... Nothing is quite corect yet got my angles wrong, but no big deal, it's metal, it will bend.

http://xfrias.tripod.com/38_Chevy/38_Chevy_5.html

There is also a version of this at the NudeAutoMall Garage without popups or doubleclick ads. But hey I'm an adult webmaster, that couldn't posibly be without spam could it.