Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods lowering a 1950 shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tiffany, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Tiffany

Tiffany
    from seabrook

i have checked around and was wondering if the 1990 aerostar(ford) springs will work for lowering my shoebox 3 inches.. and if there was anything else that i would have to change by doing that.. shocks i know but anything else??

2. Big Nick

Big Nick

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Yes they work... and you can buy them cheap from Amazon.com! Seriously!

4. Tiffany

Tiffany
    from seabrook

ok so cut 2 coils out .... now she rides on the rubber bumpers.. used the same shocks.... rides alittle worse but doable...the tires now are way tilted.. does anyone know if they can be adjusted to compensate enough????

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, you cut the stock springs? you know that as you cut a spring you cause the spring to be firmer, giving a rougher ride. you need to locate shorter shocks and cut rubber bumpers. post pics of your ride. yes, you will need to go to a good alignment shop.

6. RG49MERC

RG49MERC
    BANNED

I suggest buying the aerostar spring..will ride alot nicer than the cut springs..Jamco sells a upper A-arm mounts kit when usings drop coils to get the front end aligned

7. Tiffany

Tiffany
    from seabrook

yes i cut them and it still rides ok def dif but works...ok shorter shocks im ok with that.. these ones dont slam...cut the bumpers??? how much and why???[​IMG]

8. Tiffany

Tiffany
    from seabrook

9. Tiffany

Tiffany
    from seabrook

the only problem with the aerostar springs is ill be 1 inch higher than i am now with the cut springs..... the jamco A-arm kit might be good for me if the alignment guy cant get it right.. thank you for that..

10. You will be much happier with the Aerostar coils than cut down stock ones. I got mine off Amazon.com for $55. plus free shipping. I also cut 1/2 of a coil off the new spring that gave me close to a 3" drop. Then cut the rubber snubber in half and installed 3" shorter shocks from Jamco. You will also need the brackets from Jamco to straiten up your camber. With all that my car rides like a new car it does not bounce or bottom out.

Attached Files:

11. With out the bracket there is no way your alignment guy will get the camber within spec. After cutting the 1/2 a coil off the new spring it dropped it another 1 1/4".

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

also, search here for: Hamb Shoebox Club and online for shoeboxford.com and Jamco
    Suspension. tudorfritz sounds like he has things figured out pretty good. Your Ford is very cool. in pic, is that with cut coils? you have to cut the rubber bumper/snubber to give a little suspension travel clearance. don't want to ride on them.

13. Tiffany

Tiffany
    from seabrook

ok so ill cut the bumpers 1/2 way... the canber thing sux i thought i might be able to get away without buying new stuff.

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

Do it once, and do it right!!

15. 49 Custom

49 Custom

Aerostar springs. Initially drops 2 1/2 inches, settles to almost 3. Keep your original shocks and gain progressive suspension. Chad is correct, do it right the first time.

Oh, and introduce yourself.

16. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

17. Tiffany

Tiffany
    from seabrook

ok thank you very much....

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Yes those are the correct springs Chopshop13. And yes I cut them on the end that the coils are further apart. I got my shocks from Jamco, they are the 3" shorter ones. Also don't forget to get the bracket for your upper control arm so you can adjust your camber.

20. Tiffany,
    Good discussion - I plan on lowering my '49 this winter. I think the Aerostar coils in front and maybe step the bottom A arm spring pocket too. Picked up a set of 3" blocks for the rear. Had the car for two years but done nothing to it yet - had other projects. Check out our "Shoebox Barn Find in Oklahoma" on here for a few pics....

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011