Register now to get rid of these ads!

air compressor taking along time to recover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 460 willy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

I have a husky brand compressor and it has been very good to me but recently I have noticed alot of heat around the compressor head and it takes forever to get back up to pressure. Everything is in good working order but I think the head is just bad. Where do you think would be a good place to look for a new head and what info do I need before I jump in and purchase one?

2. ems customer service

ems customer service

when the head is hot in the summer you are compressing hot air as the hot air cools it loses pressure, head is ok result of summer heat, otherwise the compresser is just to small to do the work now

3. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

My garage is air conditioned so the hot air is not the issue. I noticed it first this winter but it was never a problem but recently started doing body work and some sandblasting and the compressor just will not hold up where is used to very easily. Also it has a hot plastic smell to it after the 2-3 time is turns on.

4. Ice man

Ice man

Pull the head and check the valves. Reed valves. Iceman

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Also check where the blow off is , under the switch cover ,I melted a switch that was plastic there.

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Have you cleaned or replaced the air filter lately?
    If the compressor can't get air it will be slow building up to full pressure and run hot.

7. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Yeah this. There may be these cheezy flap valves that are held in place by the pressure of the cylinder head and cylinder itself. These can move over time/use, and eventually have to be re-aligned. We had this POS compressor that had this problem continually, about every hour or so of solid use the head had to be pulled and the valves put back where they should be. The flex from the hot-cold temp swings & high pressures can aid this effect too. Check those out, and inspect their condition. Failing that, it may be a blocking issue in the intake or even just the piston itself. Most likely it wont be anything to do with the piston though.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  8. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

Thanks fore the input guys I am rained out of work today so I will do some poking around and see if I find anything wrong

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

How big is the tank and what is the CFM rating of the compressor. Sandblasting and bodywork tools (DA etc.) take a lot of CFM to operate and chances are they are emptying the tank really fast.

10. el shad

el shad

Funny thing. I just got the parts I ordered for my Husky yesterday. I had to completely rebuild mine. New cylinder, piston, plastic fan, reeds, and exhaust tube. Got it all from BH Power (they own Husky now). It is easiest to call them @ 18005436400. All my parts and shipping came to just over $80. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

11. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Make sure the tank isnt full of water. It has to work a whole lot harder to compress water to get it to full and shut off!

12. spot

spot
    from usa

x2 on the water. I had a guy give me a low hours compressor he said would not work. He just went out and bought a new one. I checked it out. Installed a new belt and drained about 2 gallons or water out of it. It runs fine now. I alway drain my compressors everynight.
    Also most big box store compressors will not keep up with the demands of body tools or sand blasters. Finding one that can deliver 15 plus SCFM for under a grand is hard to do.

13. SASROD

SASROD

OT but what is this "rain stuff" your talking about?

14. Griznant

Griznant

Is it an "oil free" compressor?

I've got a Devilbiss 6hp one and when that started happening I had to pull it apart and put new pistons/seals in it. They were toast. I also noticed it got a LOT louder too.

15. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2 especially if blasting sand scores the cylinder liner / piston seal

16. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

Thanks guys I checked it out today and cleaned the air filter and also drained a little water out of it and it seems better. I also ordered a new filter so hopefully that will help out even more

17. 61 chevy

61 chevy

belt maybe slipping

18. flamed34

flamed34

My father's had one of the reed valves break in the middle of a paint job after hours. Since it was spring steel, we took a similar thickness putty knife and cut it down. We expected it to be VERY temporary. It's still running like that about 6 years later.

19. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Hey there is probaly a one way valve in the line going into the tank check it if its not sealing it wil cause the pump to work to hard on restart and let air slip out even if the pump is fine. Hope this helps

20. uc4me

uc4me

If you are going to be doing that type of work on a regular basis, you might want to keep an eye out for an older recip compressor on a BIG tank.

It can be done cheaply, I have a brunner V4 compressor on an 80 gallon tank with a 5hp 220v motor. I pieced it together about 5 years ago for less than 450 bucks. It works awesome and you can hold a conversation without yelling when it kicks on

21. rusty addiction

rusty addiction

If everything appears to be working then the body tools are too
    demanding(pigs on air). I find a house fan aimed at the head really
    helps the heat problem when I over work mine. Hope it helps.

22. Paul

Paul
    Editor

my Husky Pro 175 has been taking a long time to recover too,

in my case the culprit is the copper tube that runs between the two cylinders has cracked

trying to find a replacement on line has been a total waste of time.

I see the Husky brand (or at least my compressor) is made by Campbell Hausfeld but knowing that hasn't helped one iota

I'll try that phone number tomorrow