Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. [​IMG]

I don't think that photo is Winchester. Steep banking at the start finish line? Looks more like Anderson Speedway to me.
    HG :cool:

2. easter

easter

I was thinking the same thing about it not being Winchester. I don't remember any grass like that at Winchester on the front straight. It's damn sure Benny Rapp, though.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. easter

easter

Is it just me, or does anyone else think they ought to change the name of that damn bicycle race to something other than "Little 500"?

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

JMO. They have both been using the name for so long it's kinda become innate to both. I dont think those interested in either are confused by the other and those not interested in either well... don't really much care. :)

5. easter

easter

If you go to youtube and type in "Little 500", 99% of what you get back is about the bike race. To me, that's a slap in the face. I know, I'm getting old and bitter. I remember one year after they started using roll cages, the green came out and somebody in the middle of the mass went up on top of another car's cage, did a 360 and came back down on the track and kept rolling. I kept waiting for the end overs to start and see cars heading for the catch fence, but it never happened. A couple cars pitted right then, so I'll bet they were changing their skivies. The start of the Little 500 (cars that is) is the wildest thing in racing.

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Another analogy would be the word "nationals". Go to youtube and type in 'sprint car nationals' and you will get several different "nationals" from several venues. Yet most all sprint car fans recognize the Knoxville Nationals as the nationals.
    '

7. Hawkeyeed

Hawkeyeed

Sun Valley Speedway - Little 500 - Rapp won the pole position that day...That's National Speedways, Inc.'s Gene Van Winkle holding the checkered flag...

Just finished a story about the IMCA's involvement with the Little 500 from '62 to '71. Just need to post it someday..

Kyle Ealy
    Midwest Racing Archives
    www.midwestracingarchives.com

8. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I've felt that way for years even though I'm originally from Indiana and my wife went to Indiana University.

9. It's less than 30 days until the 2011 edition of the Winchester Old Timers. 2 days of track time and new this year is NO pacecar and Saturday night bench racing session at the Randolph Grill in Winchester, Indiana.
    This is your chance to drive on the World Famous 1/2 mile high banks.
    August 20th and 21st. Info at:
    www.winchesterot.com or PM me here on the HAMB.

Come join us as we make history at Winchester Speedway....

10. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Glad you are making those changes to the format HG.
    Also hope you line up a responsible person to do a professional write up this year.
    Thanks to you and all who make these events happen.

#15 will be there this year, Tom McGriff and Randall Cook of Indianapolis will be running it for me. I left it in their care following Millers at Milwaukee.

Right now it's being readied for the trip to Michigan Speedway for the Friday Salute to Indy ON-Track Day as part of the Concours of America; Aug 6th to Salem for the Joe James/Pat O'connor Memorial. After Winchester I'll be back in the drivers seat at Darlington SC then back to the West Coast for the Oct Santa Barbara Salute to Indy Concours and finally the WRA,WCVR SWC 3 day Vintage Event at Havasu City Speedway in AZ.
    Carl Schulz
    Indio, CA
    Keep an eye out for this guy in my car, will ya?
    [​IMG]

11. KK500

KK500

Thanks Smithy. Especially for the handball that started it. Right place at the right time. Message from the right bloke. Paul Farrell has been helpful with a couple of other cars to Australia too.
    The Benny Rapp car will stay here indefinitey.
    Has new 327 fitted but need to do fuel system, brakes and rear tires. Driveline has a nasty clunk. Hope to have it running for Calistoga.
    Got work to do on other cars for Monterey Historics which is mid-Aug so time is scarce.
    Green is a no-no, a good thing that you've been dedicated to it's eradication. Good luck with the completion.
    Howdy to the guys.
    Jim

12. easter

easter

KK500 - Some drivers lean to the side in the turns while some sit straight up looking very proper and proud. I remember Benny Rapp being a "forward leaner". When the green dropped, you could see him stretching the shoulder harnesses trying to help push the car forward.

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Couple of old IMCA shots. Gene Bell in the Safety Racing nailhead powered #55. Not sure who is in the #1, Moughan maybe?

Attached Files:

14. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

What about this shot from Sydney Australia back in the day. The driver is using all the "body english" he can muster to get the car around the track.

[​IMG]

15. edwfitzgerald

edwfitzgerald

The Edmunds 54 did indeed make it to KC. It was bought by Jr Waters and driven by Doc waters for at least one year before being sold to Gary Scott and numbered the Wee 3. Waters had Edmunds add understruts to the front half of the frame for added strength. Edwfitzgerald

16. easter

easter

17. easter

easter

[​IMG]

Dean Mast. Dean's got his "lean" on. Look at the left front - perfect. On the cushion and on the gas.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  18. easter

easter

[​IMG]

IMCA at Allentown. I recognize Jerry Richert, Ray Tilley, Gus Linder, Daryl Harrison, Ted Wise, amongst others. Check out Benny Rapp in the #14 in the center - he's got his "forward lean" working. Jerry Richert always leaned forward, too, but he arched his lower back which made him look very proper. I remember him peaking over that high side panel.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  19. easter

easter

[​IMG]

Jerry Richert with the Wagner Chevy "High Side Panel". I got this from speedblitz.net

20. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Nice clear day in Tampa

21. easter

easter

Weren't they all? Look at all of the people in the grandstand. And, that's not the main grandstand - as you know PK - the covered grandstand would always fill up first. To me, this was Disneyland.

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I was told last week Dave spun the SanDiego Steel products roadster a few years back too...

I'm proud of em all. To hell with "parade" laps, these are race cars... LEAN ON EM!

J Shaw

23. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Remember to bring this up at the drivers meeting
    in an hour
    :>)

24. jmh

jmh

Any more Gus Linder or Ted Wise pics?? Thanks.. John

25. easter

easter

Here's the only other one I have with Ted Wise:

Winchester. 7/16/67 #54-Luke Easter, #2 Curley Boyd, #21 Ted Wise, #91 Darl Harrison, #14 Benny Rapp, #77 Chick Hale, #95 Karl Busson, #3 Dave Weir
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

26. easter

easter

Several years ago I was talking with Dale Blaney at Wayne County Speedway in Ohio and I showed him the photo above of my dad leading the heat race at Winchester. His response? "Hey look, Ted Wise!" I guess they were neighbors.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  27. racer5c

racer5c

Naa Carl, what really goes over good at a vintage meet is when you ask them if your allowed to work on the car during a red flag

28. I'll remember that Roy...lol

29. KK500

KK500

Pics of the "lean"...................

P.S....easter, Benny's mechanic Frank is still with us also.

Attached Files:

30. easter

easter

The first photo sure looks like Benny is spinning out! He must have went in a little strong. If you enlarge the photo to its fullest, you can also see hes giving a kind of a WTF wave with his left hand. Also, those headers look like (2) part: cylinders 2 and 4 going together and 6 and 8 going together. Are they still that way?