Register now to get rid of these ads!

layin' out the 56' chev pick up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uneeksparke, Jul 25, 2011.

1. uneeksparke

uneeksparke

Hello everyone

i currently have a 56' chevy pick up truck that i am in the middle of lowering, i have just finished installing the mustang II, and about to go get the rims and tires i want and see how everything fits, my issue right now is that my lower control arm is hitting the bottom of the frame and i have a few options in how i could solve this little problem, as of now it seems to me(and the tape measure) that i wont be able to lay as low as i would like with the IFS, so i was thinking of making a notch in the frame for the control arm, or Z'in the frame or cutting out the IFS section and raising it how ever much hight i need to to allow the body of the truck to almost touch the ground, i wanted to lay frame but seeing as the cab is already "channeled" i am going to almost lay body when the bags are all the way deflated. the few pros i see here are if i notch the frame i dont have to mess with motor mounts, steering linkage and how the motor will fit in the engine bay, weather it is hitting the fire wall or not. i just was wondering if anyone has laid a 56' chevy pick up out before, or that era of frame, and what they found was the best solution. thank you and any advice is welcomed and wanted!

oh yeah so as i was fabbing up the top Hats on the IFS, i noticed that i have to have it at 3 degrees up and 1 degree out, anyways i was just curious what the point of having the 1 degree out is. i understand the anti dive, just was curious of why they need to be set in that manner.

Here are some pics of the build i have going so far. With work i barley have time to touch the truck, and the truck isn't at my house it is on the other side of town at my parents house, they have a garage and my house doesn't which is a super bummer, but some day i will build one or get a new house with one :)

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

2. uneeksparke

uneeksparke

Is this the wonng place to ask? Do I have to go to a different "room" or forum or whatever they are called?

3. frankbmg

frankbmg

Try Tri-Five chevy. They have a truck section.

FB

4. retromotors

retromotors

Idealistically, yes .... you're on the wrong forum. The HAMB is supposed to be about traditional rods & customs.

Realistically, i guess you're not, since all that "layin' frame", "layin' rocker" bullshit has infected the HAMB.

5. rdrunner1974

rdrunner1974
    from Vermont

6. Having the lower arm be angled up too much may run into balljoint interference. You can make it lower by just about any way you want, clearance the lower frame rail, Z the frame, etc. Do you already have drop spindles? They will give you 2 more inches lower.

BTW, your pictures make it hard to see. Better pictures would help.

7. uneeksparke

uneeksparke

yeah, sorry about the pics, i took them with my scratched up phone, sounds like i need to take my business else where. anyways take it easy.

8. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

9. retromotors

retromotors

Nah .... don't run off .... stick around.
    I'll admit to being an old curmudgeon with wildly unpopular opinions.
    I wasn't picking on you specifically, just gettin' my digs in on the whole laying frame concept.
    But hey .... all the cool kids are doing it now!
    So you'll find lots of support and info here on the HAMB.

Besides, you seem to have a functional grip on the language and understand the concepts of punctuation, sentences and paragraphs. You can even spell pretty damn good!
    That in itself puts you head and shoulders above a lot of the mouth breathers that have shown up lately.
    Maybe there is hope for our educational system!