Register now to get rid of these ads!

250 ci Over heating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Devoted, May 28, 2011.

1. Devoted

Devoted
    from DFW Texas

My Temp gauge is not working so i cant tell how hot the engine is getting. I checked water flow coming from the top hose seems find but when i removed the hose i dont see a thermostat. Was this removed or does it need it? I forgot to mention the radiator has been replaced seems not to long ago.

2. belair

belair

You need a thermostat.

3. X2 on the stat, remember devoted if your running an auto trans and its plumbed into the rad, if the engine is getting hot so is the tranny. Thermostat, and then try and diagnose your temp gauge problem. If its electrical, it can be the sender, gauge or wiring. Mechanical gauge, the gauge or the capilary line could be bad.

4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

You shouldn't need it in moderate weather at low engine speeds. It can slow down the flow if water is going through the radiator too fast to cool. Did you just get this car? If so, the previous owner might have had an overheating problem and removed the stat to try to cure it.

To cool, you need good water and air flow through the radiator. I'd get some type of temperature gauge or thermometer to see how hot it gets.

5. bgaro

bgaro

your car ain't gonna overheat cuz there is no thermostat.

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

How hot is the weather? No thermostat, a new radiator and a temp gauge that doesn't work says unsolved cooling problem to me. You might want to find someone that has the chemical test for compression gases in the coolant.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Get a gauge or an infrared temp gun to tell you what temp you have. Is it boiling over? Without something to accurately tell hot it is you are just guessing. You can't fix a problem by just guessing.

If you were not getting steam from the opening then it is probably NOT overheating.

8. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Without a temp gauge you don't know what the temp is. Unless it is boiling over. Old engine, the vanes could be rusted off the water pump. Maybe water jacket full of rust??

9. Devoted

Devoted
    from DFW Texas

I got to fix that temp gauge problem the weather today is 97°F. I dont have any info if previous owner might have had an overheating problem. I guess it wont hurt to add a thermostat.

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Putting a thermostat in won't hurt anything.

A non contact infra-red thermometer is very useful and are under $75. Then you can check temperatures at different places on the system and also check exhaust temperatures, bearing temps, etc.

11. Devoted

Devoted
    from DFW Texas

It did boil over earlier today.. i will borrow my dads thermometer and make sure whats the temp

12. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

If it boiled over it hit 212. That is too hot for that car. Check the cooling system for poor circulation. I ran many of those engines without a thermostat and no pressure in the system. They shouldnt boil even in 97 degree weather.

13. Devoted

Devoted
    from DFW Texas

**Update** i went ahead changed the fan i had a clutch fan laying around so went ahead and changed it Wow!! what a deference i checked the temp with a Temp gauge and for the most part it stays around 180.. i'll probably add a flex fan later either way it seemed the original fan was to small for the radiator. I also added a thermostat this inline is doing good.. Thanks!

14. sdluck

sdluck

If you are using coolant and no recovery bottle,the full level is just above the core,not to the top of the rad.If filling to top when the coolant heats up and expands it will go out the overflow and you will think it is overheating.