Register now to get rid of these ads!

Al in San Diego

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Blacklisted, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Blacklisted

Blacklisted

Hello everyone, I have been looking around for a while and figured I'll start posting. I have a 1949 Ford Tudor that has been in the family since it was new. My great grandfather bought it off the lot, it was a demo car, and it's been passed down ever since. I inherited the car for my high school graduation present from my mother. The last time the car was driven was around 85' and it wasn't in the greatest shape then, so it needs alot of love. I just recently got the car out to California from where it was stored, North Dakota at my parents house. I joined the Navy right out of high school so with going on deployments and not knowing where I would end up next I decided to leave the car there.

Now that I have the car I am trying to get it road worthy and then start slowly customizing it as the time and money allows.

Here is a pic of what I'm starting with.

Thanks for reading, Al

[​IMG]

2. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

Looks like a great start! Looks like you could be driving it with very little work. Go slow, get the mechanicals and safety stuff done first. Don't tear it apart. If you go slow and can see you are making headway, you will finish what you started. One thing at a time won't overwhelm you. Good luck and have fun!

3. Blacklisted

Blacklisted

That's exactly my game plan. Thanks.

4. Al,
    Solid looking ride. Thanks for your service and good luck on the build.

5. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

X'S 2 from buford,ga.

6. Blacklisted

Blacklisted

Thanks guys. All in all it is a solid car. Just the normal rust out places and probably some floor repair will be needed.

7. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Hey from Tennessee, formerly SK1(SS) and Santee, welcome

8. Welcome from north Idaho

9. Blacklisted

Blacklisted

Thanks guys. 26roadster, depending on how long you've been in Tennessee, you probably would hardly recognize Santee these days. Lots of new stuff been built/old tore down in the last 5yrs.

10. Blacklisted

Blacklisted

Thanks.

11. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

nice ride,,,gloss black,red rims and full trim id be in heaven

12. Welcome from N. San Diego county

13. Ricky B

Ricky B

Welcome from Nor~Cal !

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  14. Blacklisted

Blacklisted

Thanks, and do you make knobs for the 3 on the tree? You can PM me.

Thanks.

Thanks, not sure what the color combination will end up being just yet.

I plan on starting a build thread sometime. Just at this point not alot of progress yet. It will be a slow build as time and money determine.

15. jorge55

jorge55

I like hearing stories about cars being past down the family tree. My grandpa "r.i.p" had an old 56 f100 that he took to mexico and used it as a farm work truck, before he passed he gave it to my dad. My dad kept it in mexico and is currently restoring it. Each time i go visit my dad we spend a lot of time on it but the best part is listening to the stories he shared with his dad. Maybe in the far future that truck will get passed down to me and i can share my stories with my kids. Its amazing how for some familys a car can keep the memories of the passed alive. Good luck on your build, like other people have said, take your time dont rush anything. Theres ton of help here you've come to right place!!!!!

16. Nice looking ride. Go slow and make it roadworthy before dress up.
    USN ret
    Fuzzy

17. Welcome from spring valley. Hope to see your car at some shows in the future!

18. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Whats up Al, Welcome from Beaumont

19. Just Gadget

Just Gadget

Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

20. Blacklisted

Blacklisted

Thanks guys, I plan on taking it to the El Cajon cruise as soon as I get it on the road. I'm sure there are alot of cruises around SD area. I would like to meet up with some of the local people on here and see what they have for projects also. And possibly learn some new things from them. I am new to the whole customizing thing, I did take auto body and mechanics in high school so I have a little grasp on body work. It's been along time since I've used the skills but I think I can do most of the work myself. As far as mechanics go, I am always tinkering on something. I have been riding dirtbikes/quads and fixing them since junior high. I have a decent grasp on welding and some fabricating (haven't done alot of sheet metal work). I guess I'm a jack of most trades and a master at none kinda guy.

The game plan is to eventually pass it down to our kid when we have one. Hopefully this car will be in our family for decades to come.

Thanks guys.

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy, Love that Ford.

22. Blacklisted

Blacklisted

Thanks tommyd