Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1933 - 1936 Willys, picture thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WillysRule, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Weasel

Weasel

Following on my earlier comments on the "alternate style" rear cab and window, here is another example of the rounded corners, which was posted earlier in this thread by 35willyspickup and now becomes relevant to post again. This appears to be a Canadian truck - built in Canada? It has the correct factory bed and I suspect it is part of Abe Suderman's Willys collection....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. Weasel

Weasel

Specially for G-Willys;) another South African Model 77 - this time a 1935 sedan....

[​IMG]

3. Weasel

Weasel

Another one for G-Willys - this time a 1936. The Tru-Spokes are an interesting choice and I really like the way they look. I have been planning to use Buick Skylark wires on my next Model 77 and this gives me the visual I needed....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  4. Weasel

Weasel

Here's another shot without the hood sides....

[​IMG]

5. Weasel

Weasel

One more of the same car....

[​IMG]

6. Weasel

Weasel

1933 standard sedan with 1934/35 wire wheels....

[​IMG]

7. Great pictures Weasel...where do you get these, have you taken some or all yourself? That is Abe Suderman's place...I was there in the late '90's. That pickup had a modern 4 cyl motor. I built my white '39 after seeing his blue '39 in the rod magazines a few years before. The light green sedan delivery came from a town in Sasketchewan where I played hockey as a kid...(with 36 front end) it was a delivery truck for a local TV repair shop...saw it several times (1959). I believe the green 33 is his also...you mention '33 standard...what made it a standard versus deluxe on the early models? (I know about the 37-41 standard/deluxe models) A couple of other things I notice, and would love to get your perspective. Looks like a one piece bumper on the one black car, but has the same bumper braces as mine.
    Also how does the hood stay down without the side panels on it...must have modified the latches? Those wire wheels almost make it look like a luxury car, which Willys of those years never was. I like the original wire spokes, and the artillery style with the 77 cap. I'd like to find a way to make the '77 hub cap fit a modern wheel, as I have several decent (not mint) ones. My current project has smoothies with baby moon caps...was thinking about having '77' air brushed on the cap center. Last questions for this reply...when did they start with the full spare tire panel on the sedans, and discontinue with the wrap around reveal ? Are those wider rear fenders on the black sedan the glass ones? Thanks again for the pictures and your knowledge of the early cars...it has helped me more than double from where I started. g-willys

oops...one more Question...can you tell me what the correct bumper guards look like, the ones on the 33 don't look like the ones I have (I am missing one !)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  8. Weasel

Weasel

Here are a few answers to questions I can answer. If somebody has modified something then I only guessing as to what they have done:

Model 77 standard had one wiper, painted hood doors in 1933 and black painted windshield with one tail light. Of course all this can be changed. De Luxe had two tail lights, two wipers, chrome windshield frame and chrome hood doors for 1933.

I am not sure about the front bumper on the black car - but I believe this was a running change made during 1936 and I have seen this bumper on other late 1936 Willys. The bumper guards on the green sedan are correct.

I have not seen the black sedan in person so cannot comment on what has been done to keep the hood on. Maybe a spring loaded locking rod mechanism has been added?

Model 77 hubcaps are too small diameter to fit any aftermarket wheels although there may be a way of using adapter rings on a smoothie wheel. I have 1940 Willys truck caps with the block 'WILLYS' script adapted to a set of new 16" diameter smoothies from Jason at Early Wheel in Morro Bay CA on my 1933 sedan. Jason adapted the hubcaps to adapter rings and did a beautiful job. I would have to do some measuring on the Model 77 caps.

I am not sure when the full spare tire panel became available but 1936 would be my guess as that is when the spare wheel recess became full diameter with a raised bead around it and 1935 was the last year for the sedan wrap around reveal. Before 1936 open center spare wheel covers were optional.

My sedan has 3" wider glass rear fenders with correspondingly flared 'glass running board splash apron combo. My coupe has the same thing only the steel originals were modified and the running boards pie cut, so your guess is as good as mine on the black '36 sedan. I hope this answers most of the questions

9. Thanks Weasel...I appreciate your time to answer my questions. Take a look at picture on post #236 ...those are the type of bumper guards I have (only have 3, need a 4th if I am going to use them.) Let know of any future thoughts that come to mind on the mounting of the 77 caps!
    g-willys

10. bates

bates

Now thats funny, log on here out of interest and find myself in a picture 30 years ago:)
    This was used for parts for the sports coupe, Dad ended up selling all the early willys stuff, a roadster and the sports coupe not long after this picture. went over to South Australia and never seen again.

Will see if I can dig out some more pictures of these and a couple of tourers from over the years, currently has a sedan in the workshop that is being made into a tudor which is why I looked in this thread.. Small world:)

11. bates

bates

Hey Weasel
    I just remembered somewhere I have a collection of Peter Eames's old willys photos he gave away to me a while back when he had no interest in the cars, plenty of early willys in them, will see if I can find them

12. bates

bates

[​IMG]
    Dad is doing this one for a customer so bought the one below for bits
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now getting rid of extra crap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Weasel

Weasel

Welcome to the Willys model 77 thread bates - can't wait to see photos from your collection.

Here's a green 1936 roadster ute from Perth Western Australia....
    [​IMG]

rfraze likes this.
  14. Weasel

Weasel

1934 Tourer....

<center> [​IMG] </center>

15. Weasel

Weasel

Another '36 sedan for g-willys....

[​IMG]

16. I think that it is great that you are letting people know that Willys had more front sheet metal than just the '33 and '41 designs!!!
    g-willys

17. Weasel

Weasel

Here's an all steel coupe currently for sale....

[​IMG]

rfraze likes this.
  18. Weasel

Weasel

Another steel coupe for sale....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Weasel

Weasel

And the Souza Bros Willys is up for sale too....

[​IMG]

20. Angliagasser

Angliagasser

I never really cared much for those type of fiberglass front fender. The headlights just look funny that way.

21. 35willyspickup

35willyspickup
    from Hawaii

'35 before and after eather way you can't get better than this..

35 before and after.jpg

22. BADGAS

BADGAS
    from AUSTRALIA

23. bobs36hotrod

bobs36hotrod

Hi, look for Willy and me at the Goodguys Pleasanton Ca. Street Rod Nats. 8/26-28.
    bobs36hotrod
    BOB

rfraze likes this.
  24. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

I haven't posted anything for a while, because I just haven't found much on the 33-36's for quite some time. I recently scanned a couple pics of Mel Bryson's old 33 from an older "Gasser Wars Magazine". Sorry for the low res pics, but these little printed images don't scan too well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. chomama1

chomama1
    from wv

I have looked at this car till my eyes almost fell out and I just don't like it and I couldn't figure out why. It's the front end. Not dissing the car, it's a hell of a nice car, it just isn't me. That's the problem with hot rods, they're too personal.

26. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Yeah, the Bryson & Gibson car had kind of a unique front end treatment. The front fenders have been moved up somewhere between 2 and 4 inches. Mike Mitchell and Steve McGee both ran 33's with about 4" cut of the bottom of the whole car, kinda like the last SWC Swindler A car. They moved the front fenders up, and bobbed them off along with the grille. This in theory, gave them a smaller profile in the front, and allowed a little more rake to the car, giving it somewhat of a wedge shape. However, I think any aero advantage they gained in the smaller front end profile was given up by not chopping the top.

The Bryson car on the other hand, appears to never have been cut off through the doors and quarters, but somehow still raised the front fenders and bobbed the grille. What's odd, is there's not a real obvious difference in where the back of the fender meets the cowl. You can see a little bit of step there, but not much. They may have even rotated the front fenders up slightly. It's sort of a look that has to grow on you.

After Chris Lytle bought the car (run as Blown Hell), I'm pretty sure he put a conventional front clip back on, with the fenders in the traditional location.

27. BADGAS

BADGAS
    from AUSTRALIA

28. 35willyspickup

35willyspickup
    from Hawaii

29. 35willyspickup

35willyspickup
    from Hawaii

The Aussie E-Bay car

111.jpg

11.jpg

1111.jpg

11111.jpg

111111.jpg

1111111.jpg

30. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

HI;I got that cut up front end when I bought that car ,I did'nt like that look,I gave that front end back to Mike Svoboda,who had the car before me,knowing mike im sure he still has it. I got a new 4 piece front end I think from Tom Wilford. did'nt like the back molded fenders so I cut them off and got a set of Finders fenders fron Jack Coonrod. when I sand blasted that car,some places had 2 inches of bondo in them!! Mel said they found that body half burried in a creek, It took a lot of work to fix that body. Chris Lytle

rfraze likes this.