Register now to get rid of these ads!

'30-'31 axles & wishbones

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastbrad, Jul 26, 2011.

1. fastbrad

fastbrad

Ok, newbie questions here--and yes, I have used the advanced search... I brought my first project home Sunday, a '31 SW Fordor that was burned up in a barn fire, an extra '30 pick up rolling chassis, cowl, cowl tank, and a bunch of odds and ends.

I'm planning on building a traditional late '40s rod. I've got 2 motors, both just cores at this point, an early flathead V8, and a '41 Lincoln V12. I'll be boxing the frame, front to back, building my own cross member once I get a trans picked out and doing a traditional "z" in the back. The front will be set up suicide, exact layout of components remains to be determined.

I know the A rear axle will need to go and I'll need to find a mind-late '30s rear--but are the dimensions roughly the same? Can I use this for mocking up the chassis while I try to find a replacement?

Regarding the front axle and wishbones--are they just junk? Someone told me to toss them and get a '32 or later axle. I've seen plenty of photos of cars that appear to be built with A front axles, but just wondering if it is worth my time folling with these.

Thanks, Brad

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. Nothing wrong with using an "A" axle and bones if done right. The "someone" who told you they were junk and to toss them, might not be the right guy to look to for advice.

3. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Are you gonna "z" the front as well to bring the ride height down with the back? Dont toss the axle or bones by any means.....the bones are 2.25" at the axle boss which will work with most modern drop axles. Chassis Engineering makes a '32 heavy duty style that is popular among many on here.

Rear axle......the dimensions are different. The first question you should be asking is....what setup am I gonna run in the rear? Do I use a "A" rear crossmember and spring to show off the banjo? Do I use a '40 style rear spring for a spring behind? Or a '39 spring in front of axle?......since your running a "Z'd" rear, you could move the crossmember back 7.5", use a Model "A" rear crossmsmber, and spring, and then a '41 (or up) rear axle ....food for thought.

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Tardel and Bishop have a book on how to build a V8 A, goes into a lot of detail, would be worth buying. I've built two V8 A's using ideas out of the book. Goes over installing a flathead driveline.

5. fastbrad

fastbrad

Thanks for the input guys. I have the book by Tardel and Bishop, been reading through it for reference. I wasn't planning on doing a "Z" up front--I don't really like the way it looks. I was planning on straightening the horns and moving the front cross member forward, or setting up a perch--either way, going with a lower spring with reverse eyes.

In the back I'm thinking of putting the spring in front of the axle to move it back a couple of inches, and was looking to find a late 30s banjo--if I go with the V12 I'm going to have to move the rad up a little and the body back a little, the thing is freaking long.

Thanks again, Brad

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011