Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did you abuse your parents cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 15, 2008.

1. BobK49

BobK49

I didn't crash it, but I abused the shit out of it. The ol man (step-dad, he's 90 now!) had a India Ivory over Sierra Gold 57 Bel Air, powerpack. Also had a damned 'glide tranny! Remember the shift pattern for a glide? PNDLR. Yep, reverse on the bottom. I wonder how many times during a rolling start race did I pull that bitch all the way down into reverse? The rear tires would spin backasswards and squeal like a screaming piglet pushed away from the trough! Later, the old man sold the car to some guy. Less than a week the guy contacted the old man, asked him if he'd ever had any tranny trouble with it. He told him no. That evening he asked me if I'd ever noticed any tranny trouble. "Nope, it's always worked good!" He said, "well, that asshole had to have the transmission rebuilt. He must have been abusing it!"
    I agreed!

2. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Your damn right, and I drive the piss out of mine every day
    I believe in getting your moneys worth, I only own vehicles for entertainment purposes

3. How many incidences have been caused by a fight with a girl friend? Was probably 1957 my Dad had a '53 Chrysler New Yorker. I had been to the girl friends house about 5 miles out of town and we had had a big pissin' duel and I got in the car and hauled ass back to town just as fast as it would go. I went down and up a hill around a curve down another hill and was just topping it when I ran up behind Leslie Wilson in his Model T going about 2 mph. I slammed on the brakes, locked it up and was about to slam right in the ass of Leslie. Instead I turned left and across a ditch, through a fence and hit a tree head on. Pushed the tree over and ran up on it. I wound up in the middle of the car hanging onto both doors. When it all came to a stop and I was stil in one peice. I was thankful to say the least. I've hated Model T's and anybody named Leslie, or Wilson ever since. I told my Dad a dog ran out in front of me. I didn't tell him I damned near killed old Leslie Wilson. After about a month in the garage the old New Yorker was back on the road. They didn't total them back in those days for a caved in grille, a bent bumper, hood and tore up radiator. Oh yeah, me and the girl friend made up and we were an item until the end of school.

4. draginsteel

draginsteel

Not only did I abuse my parents cars I abused my own!
    It was fun till things go so damn expensive.

5. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Yes I was really hard on dads stuff, and most of the time he was somewhat understanding, meaning i am still alive to tell it. But it did help me when my own sons came home with a car torn up, Yeah they are still alive to talk about their ignorant moves too. Just part of growing up, but it was so much fun. Thanks DAD......

6. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Ohhh the memories! There was a big hill over at the middle school in Plainview where I grew up. There was a soccer field on top so it was flat. We would take our parents cars, or, if you dumb enough to leave your keys around, anybody else's car and run it up that hill, getting some big air at the top. Unfortunately one time we did it with a car full of girls and in the midst of all the laughing and cheering, a muffled sound came from the back seat. "Owww my nose!" She hit the back of the front seat so hard that she broke her nose! Whoops.
    I also used to take great pleasure in stomping the gas pedal of Dad's 70 Cutlass and just when it downshifted I would shut the ignition off and quickly turn it back on. Ka-BOOM! It was fun until I blew the muffler apart. Lol

7. kustombypook

kustombypook

In 1984 I was given my dads old truck that had been sitting for about 2 years. I was told if I could get it running, it was mine. It was my first vehicle, and the first time I had ever worked on a car

But I did abuse the hell out of my own truck.

8. Nope. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

9. captain_crud

captain_crud

In 1974, my parents bought a "demo" '73 Chevy Caprice Estate wagon with a 454 and almost every option. Of course, I raced the shit out of it, put real duals put on, flipped the air cleaner lid, and installed some big block chrome valve covers that I found in some guy's trash can (!) We would stage "burnout contests" at the local Der Wienerschnitzel where my friend worked or we would take it to Whittier Blvd or Van Nuys, taking it to redline every other minute, just looking for anyone to race.

One day, I took it to redline on the way to my friend's house and for some strange reason, the harmonic balancer and pulley let loose and went into the fan. That's odd......the car was only a few years old.:confused:

10. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

Only a little bit

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SA1uk5vazBY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SA1uk5vazBY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I was already making installments on a $500 car when I was 15. Worked on my Grandpa's farm on the weekends, shoveled snow and mowed lawns during the week. By the time I got my license on my 16th birthday the car was paid for and still money in the bank. I remember my dad riding in MY car with me down to get my license. When I passed the test, I drove him home, he got out of the car and said, "see ya, have fun!" That was the best and weirdest feeling ever. Driving by myself for the first time!!!

We grew up poor, but my parents taught me early in life that if I wanted something, I had to pay for it. Probably the best thing they ever did for me. I do miss the car... 1967 Mercury Caliente 2 dr. hardtop. Those were the days....

12. smittystoys

smittystoys

barrowed my mom and dads brand new 454 black monte carlo ..... was only 16.... a lady ran a red light and t..boned it in the right front took 6 months to get it fixed to top it off it was april fools day my mom thought someone was playing a joke on her when the cops called to tell her about the wreck she wasnt very amused.......:eek:

13. Brewton

Brewton

Did I ever abuse my parents car.... Hell yes! Unfortunately, I started driving in the early eighties and my parents cars were less than high performance. But, I drove 'em like I stole them anyway! What the cars lacked in straight line performance I made up for in sliding them around gravel roads. I even jumped my Dad's Olds Toronado over a hilly street in town. When he took it in to get the oil changed the attendant brought him back in the shop and showed him the frame rails scraped clean of paint. Needless to say I was grounded and on foot for a while. Dad didn't get too mad... he was a hell raiser growing up, so he expected it.

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Yes, the old man always had a Hot Rod. They went on vacation without me one year, and I found where he stashed the key to his restored 79 Camaro Z28 - It was a hopped up five speed. I went out on the town Saturday night to all the local cruise spots. Ended up blowing half the clutch material off doing wholeshots. Limped it home with the drivetrain vibrating like crazy. He drove it to work a couple days and thought that the clutch may have come apart, I of course volunteered to help him. The clutch had half the friction material exploded off. It never did cross his mind that I may have driven it. That was a close one, and it was probably a good thing I blew the clutch out before i wrecked it.:eek:

15. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

my legal training says NEVER ADMITT ANYTHING....dad and mom gone 16 years.....

1969, 396 TH400.......what do you think!!!!

16. RE: Did you abuse your parent's cars?

Oh, jeeezuz. My dad might be on here snoopin'...

17. 1969.... I was 14
    Pushed my step-dad's '59 Fairlane out into the street then proceeded to go cruise 'main st' after popping off the hubcaps. Everything was going fine until the Highway Patrol red lighted me at 1AM on the way home. It was a fast car and I knew I could outrun them. I was getting away then made the last turn to home and blew a rear tire. The cop cars caught up and the commotion could be seen from my house. My Mom got out of bed to see what was going on but didn't know it was me until a couple hours later.

18. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

I had similar experience. Grew up in ND, so we got our licenses at 14. Had my mom's Topaz at school one day, when I was a freshman. Loaded the buddies up at noon for lunch. Hauled ass down a gravel road and hit hand emergency brake. All 5-6 of us late for Algebra class b/c we had to change tire. Dad took tire to get fixed. I thought where's the harm in that? Found out, from dad, that we had popped bead. He asked if I knew how fast you had to go to pop a bead. I said I had a pretty good idea. Considering the number of cars he wrecked in his day, I didn't get too much flak either.

19. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

No, I did not abuse dad's car or truck. I don't know nothing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Thanks, Dad for not beating my butt..........

20. shadams

shadams

One time I rear ended someone in my Mom's new Silverado, the guy tried to get me to give him a hundred bucks but I was a broke ass highschooler, he split and I just told my mom about it a yr or so ago, She always wondered how the rf corner of the bumper got pushed back. BTW, anytime I drove it I would flip the air filter lid over for the sound.

Also, she had a 91 Civic two door hatch. We had a road that had a serious hump in it and in my POS 87 CRX I could get the wheels about 2 inches off the ground. Well, the Civic was quite a bit faster and my wife (then girlfriend of about a month) was in the pass seat screaming as we jetted down the road, hitting about 80 when we got to the hump. My buddy was in the back seat and hit the roof and damn near flipped into the front seat when we, without exaggeration, got about 4 ft of air and about 50 yrds distance before coming down nose first.

It was a Dukes of Hazzard scene for sure. The tow hooks on the front of the frame saved my ass as the only damage was the torn off splash shields and air dam. Recently we went to the old road and the gouges were still there after 15yrs!!

21. belyea_david

belyea_david
    from Regina, SK

Yup - My dad had a '60 Chev half ton with a healthy 350. I went bag driving through the hills near our town. I didn't know until later that the truck was short 2 quarts of oil. It starved the front main and two rods of oil. It started to knock a week later. The truck sat until early the next winter.

Dad decided to fix a bunch of rust on the truck and rebuild the engine. We pulled the engine and all the front sheet metal. We rebuilt the engine and put a new roof on it. I then started to clean out the cab. I found some rust at the passenger kick panel. i got out the chipping hammer and tried to see how big the rust spot was.

The spot was so bad we had to abandon the whole truck. We sold the motor, tranny and bed and junked the rest. The crusher came and got it a few years later.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  22. SuddenDeath

SuddenDeath
    from Florida

Oh yeah...learned a lot after talking my Mom into letting me work on her Impala. Learned that bondo requires hardner, you can straighten a pushrod back out on a concrete block and check it for straightness on a piece of glass, that you need to rebuild a used carb before bolting it on and seeing gas go everywhere! Learned that you have to make sure you know which way the distributor was pointing before taking it out! She had a lot of patience and we had a good neighbor who didn't mind coming over to get me pointed back in the right direction.

Hotwired my Dad's truck once, took it and my buddy for a joy ride while parents were out on a boat...wrecked it...drove it home and took off! Needless to say, eventually I had to go back home...they were not happy.

23. At 15 I jumped my grandpas work truck.... Only a little bit haha at 16 I pushed mom's 740iL BMW to 132, got scared and slowed down (stupid....I know)

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

24. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I still do.. get me behind the wheel of one of my dad's hotrods and I will lay the throttle down.. especially those with bigger HP

25. rallisracing

rallisracing

I was fortunate enough to have the 65 2+2 my dad drag raced as a K stocker for my school car.( the blue car in my pic..still have it) ,less the 4.56 gears and slicks..I out ran the cops one night about 2am, they called the house and asked my dad where I was...he said he didn't know and asked why...The cop said that I had just outran them again ,and what should they do..My dad told them to "get faster cars", and hung up the phone..I got my ass beat, and grounded for 6 weeks..walked everywhere I went. We laugh about it now, but there wasn't a whole lot of laughing when I got home that morning...

26. Of course I did, and still do.
    When I was 14 I "borrowed" the Blazer and went cruising.
    Just last year my mom was getting rid of her 2009 Dodge truck with a hemi in it. We brought it to my house to remove the canopy to sell separately. After I removed it I took the truck to a local dragstrip and had it. When I returned the truck to my mom I told her that the tank was full and handed her 5 time slips. She was busting a rib and said she was proud of me.

27. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Dad's big block Chevelle 396 4 speed. Of course I did ! I just let my boy take my 09 Challenger srt8 to prom and I found burnt rubber chunks in the wheelwells. That's what I get. It comes full circle.

28. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

If you call drag racing Wednesday nights at Fremont Raceway abusing........

29. yblock292

yblock292

I turned 16 in 1967, my mom had a 64 chevelle SS convertible, 283 4 speed car. The night before i punched holes in the muffler, popped the ss caps off put baby moons on it and fried the back tires, damn that was fun, dad kicked my ass!

30. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

Used my mom's car as a test vehicle for everything I heard from my friends at school. 72 Chrylser wagon with a 440. Did some neutral drops in the car and it was the first time I went 110mph on a long straight country road. Never told her & she never found out (as far as I know).