Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Chrysler 2 door 392 Hemi what to do with it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doright, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doright

Doright

Whats the true diffrence in a 300C and a New yorker? the grill and the extra 4 barrel and a solid cam valve train.
    (Sort of like) Whats the diffrence in a Road runner and a Satellite?

2. It just took me a YEAR to get a car registered in Texas that was missing its VIN plate. THAT is your first task; make it legally yours with a newly assigned NV VIN on the pillar and a title in hand. You do have a frame number stamped on the right frame rail basically. That number many be on the side of the rail or may require a mirror to see it on top between floor pan and frame. If it matches the engine in the car then you have a matching number motor. Or the motor may have been changed in 50 years. The engine number DID NOT match the car VIN in this year. Only frame and engine match.

Chrysler Historical can document the car for you (including the dual quad option if original) for $45 if you provide the VIN (I assume you have a title).

There was, in 1957, the factory option of getting dual quads on the New Yorker 392. But when so-ordered, that is all it was, and did not include the adjustables and then-required humped valve covers of the 300C.

NICE package in black with the red and charcoal interior. LOVE IT.

3. Besides what you mention: the 300C also had air cooling intakes below the headlights, heavy duty torsion bars and heavy duty rear springs. Also full leather seating.

Attached Files:

4. Squablow

Squablow

If you're worried about resale (which you did mention) then either restore it stock or just make it functional and don't do anything to it. Pro-Street has been dead for 15 years and the many reasons a gasser would be a bad idea have already been covered.

Make it roadworthy, give it a paint job and just detail out the rest of the car as good as it's going to get. No one would fault you there and you can always do something different with it later but it's tough to fix one once it's been cut up.

5. 41plym

41plym

I have a set of replacement rockers for it if you're interested. I bought them for a 59 chrysler I no longer own. They were made in the 60's and said to fit 57 thru 59 chrysler 2 doors. Pm me if you want.
    41plym

6. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!kustom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. robleticia

robleticia

8. Doright

Doright

The Vin Tag is present its the only tag I do have
    I have heard that chrysler Historical before I havnt done that yet I should do that before any thing.

9. Doright

Doright

Yes I would love to have them!
    PM sent

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

Glad you have dropped the gasser idea! Whew!
    As said, clean it up and get it running and driving nice.
    IF you still want to sell, avoid any major changes.
    The only thing that would help value to most (not the OE resto crowd) would be better brakes and lowering.
    The car could be changed with wheel/tire swaps (salt flats discs, wires, 'caps or early mags) to change styles.

11. froghawk

froghawk

Interiors are significantly different, with 300s in ivory leather throughout. New Yorker's usually cloth and leather (or vinyl; not sure about that though) or all cloth, depending on the body style.

Attached Files:

12. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

13. fbama73

fbama73

Mmm...pro street. I can just see it now- robin egg blue (including the bumpers), gray tweed interior, digital dashboard, billet valve covers.... tasty.

14. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since you are out West, my vote is for Gentleman's Hot Rod. Build it to go fast, over long distances, in comfort and style. Use the aforementioned Bonneville car for ideas.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with those who present this theory. Clean it up and fix the rust, paint it back jet freaking black, shiny as hell and lower the crap out of it. Then drive the wheels off of it.

That car was built to burn up the highway miles and not be a slug wanabe gasser. In the early 60's it would have been the car that a guy towed his gasser to the strip with.

And the fact that I have always wanted a Black big fin Mopar hardtop from the late 50's might just have a bit to do with my opinion.

16. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

I wouldnt do much to it, to me it is perfect in a near stock state. Why not do a mild resto, and give it a 60's street racer look?

17. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

This guy gets it!

18. Weasel

Weasel

Stilloutthere really knows these cars.

Okay - it's time to post some BIG pictures of the definitive 1957/58 Chrysler custom - this is the Cliff Inman car built by Joe Wilhelm. The windshield (and tail lights) says it's a 1958 with '57 bits - my red one I posted earlier is also a '58 with similar bits. Unless you have defective taste genes, I really don't think you can argue with this one....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. just make it a driver. i seriously considered making my 58 Olds into a gasser and realized that even if i put every penny i had into hopping up the drivetrain (supercharge, hilborns, cam, bore and stroke, glass front end etc) it would still be lucky to reach 13s. very lucky. then it would be near impossible to run on the street and it wouldnt be comfortable to drive, and i drive alot. just my 2 cents

20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

There weren't a lot of 4000-lb 126" wheelbase "gassers" built back in the day or any day for that matter.

Get the data plate info from Chrysler Historical. It costs $45 and will tell you everything "they" know about it. Here's an example of what they will send:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/46Tbird/NewYorker/ChryslerIBM.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/46Tbird/NewYorker/ChryslerDecode.jpg

If that car truly was a dual-quad New Yorker, I would consider restoring it or selling it to someone that will. That is incredibly rare, I've never seen one come up for sale. More than likely though, it came with the 4bbl carb that is on there now.

As for what to do with it... mild custom all the way. This is what I'm doing to mine.

[​IMG]

21. Weasel

Weasel

I was wondering when Gotgas was going to chime in - odd looking front bumper you have there Danny;)

22. Besty34

Besty34

Kustom

Attached Files:

23. Doright

Doright

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

25. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-----------------
    [ You wrote - "That car was built to burn
    up the highway miles and not be a slug
    wanabe gasser. In the early 60's it would
    have been the car that a guy towed his
    gasser to the strip with.
    "]

Yep, exactly. But ...a tow car for a
    gasser...now you're talking!!!:)

Mart3406
    ===========================

26. Gasser NO............Restored stocker YES.
    Ya gotta put the twin carbs on that engine then drive it like you stole it!

27. Doright

Doright

Im all for that!

28. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I think you should paint it, lower it a bit, and keep ALL the trim on it, dont touch the interior (except for that package tray underneath the rear window) and drive the hell out of it.

This car is too cool and complete to cut up in any way!

29. csimonds

csimonds

You call that rust issues LOL.... That car is BAD ASS, get it running, driving, and stopping. Clean her up and drive the wheels off of her!
    Chuck

30. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

That's a great-looking car. it looks "mean".
    I'd lower it and paint it black...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.