Register now to get rid of these ads!

who is not driving their cars as much because of gas prices?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevnut55, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Gas prices are what they are! We have all been taking it on the chin for a long time now. Seems my biggest restraints are family related responsabilities. Excluding some get togethers it seems once a week and sometimes to the bank and back is how I roll.;)

2. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Amen!
    Fill up, drive, grin, repeat.
    What's a daily?
    Paul

Just worked it out, $8.17 for a US gallon over here in England at the moment.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm the proverbial turnip. It has cut my style for sure. I have to weigh my options... are there new cars, scenery etc. to see or will it be the same cars parked in the same old places for my 100 to 150 dollars? Some shows are no brainers but others just plain ain't worth the costs... to me. There is probably a show every week within reasonable driving distance for me. I have to pick and choose.

4. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I like the way you think Outlaw !

5. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

How about this, I was in line behind a guy at the place where I buy gas for my street rod ( gas $3.63/gallon ) . He was complaining a bit to the cashier about the price of gas , as he paid $1.00 for a bottle of water. By my calculations, for the 16.9 fl. oz. bottle of water that he paid $1.05 for ( 5 cents for the state of Maine ) he was paying $ 7.95 per gallon for water.

6. roll_low

roll_low
    from Rigby, Id

Not me! I drive the wheels off!! Cant wait to finish the wifes Ranch Wagon so we can road trip it! It always kills me that people will drive all across town to find a gas station that has gas for 2 cents cheaper than the rest. Wow, you just saved a whole 40 cents on that fill up!! :D

I guess if it ever got to the point that I just flat out couldnt afford to put gas in my hot rods I would have to find a new hobby................but then again I would probably just sell something else to get gas money! It is truly a part of my life!!

7. scrubba

scrubba

Add me to the list . I was in the hospital over a cousin of M R S A from last Christmas to jus recently . Since i'm on S S I and I have no insurance , I simply can not afford to even go to a cruise thats just a few miles from me . scrubba

8. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Not me,drive my truck every chance I get. The 5-spd helps a lil,pulls about 24-25mpg on the hiway.

9. chevy3755

chevy3755

i didnt build mine to just look at.............i built mine to drive

10. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 6 banger. I'm planning a V-8 swap.... :)

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Gas in Denver is now $3.30 a gallon...I learned a long, long time ago that a "built" motor is more problems than they are worth...gas mileage, something always breaking, hard to cool, not very practical out on the highway, etc., etc. A "stock" engine is the only way to go IF you intend to put on miles and show it off.

I now have a "stock" 500" Cadillac engine in my '55 Caddy (I put headers on it)...and I complain about 15 mpg, but if I want to go show it off, I'll pay the price.

Yes, I have cut down my out of state trips, but it's OK since there are so many local rod runs I've missed out over the years I used to go out of town, so much so that all those local rod runs are "new" to me.

It'll take some time to get used to spending over 3 bucks a gallon, but I will and long for $1.59 a gallon (or 19 cents a gallon when I first started driving some 50 years ago), unfortunately, those days are long gone, never coming back.

R-

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I have a receipt from December, 2008 for gas for my pickup. $1.399 a gallon. That was only 2 1/2 years ago. It can go down. Drill here, drill now. What kills me is people who idle for ten minutes in a drive-through lane at a fast food joint. Apparently they can afford $3.50 a gallon gas a lot more than I can.

13. I bought my rides to enjoy them, not park them because of what gas cost.

14. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

LOL, our Lark has a 170 six in it and we swapped in a v8 rear end with a highway gear. 27-28 mpg kicks major behind! and in truth its not any slower around town than it was before.

15. havi

havi

At least yer driving yours. My OT gets 15mpg at 100 miles commute everyday. That's a lot of build money being thrown in the tank. Merely a fact of life.

16. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Not me. Pontiac Straight 8 as a daily driver!

17. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

Well let's calculate this. You want to work an extra 20 hours to afford $75 for gas. That comes out to $3.75 an hour.
    I would suggest a job change not a motor change.

18. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I rode a motorcycle around Italy about 3 weeks ago. It was around the equivalent of 9 dollars a gallon.

19. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Smoke is deterring me here in south Ga....my lazy rear gears don't hurt me on gas at any price.

20. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I've actually skipped on food money to put gas in the tank. Nothing sounds worse than "well it's at home". Besides, my car growls louder than my stomach does...

21. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

Gas prices here are $9,50 a gallon so here I drive as far as my wallet takes me. First trip I took with the DeSoto cost me $1400. That was a 2000 mile drive in three days.

Drive 'em now when you have the opportunity. Oil won't last long!

22. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Lol we been getting Texas style weather up here last couple weeks dont know how you guys do it down south..have to admit been thinking ahh maybe trade a few more miles to the gallon for some air con..now if i can just cool this bugger down..sad to say the other day we hit 100 f i took my daily chev crapolier with air con out to the cafe shop instead of the wagon took a little ribbing but man that air con was nice

Attached Files:

23. amen.

my biggest problem is trying to figure out which car i want to drive.

they all love to eat dinosaurs.:cool:

24. I WISH i could drive my Comet more. It gets better mileage than my truck. Needs a bit of work though.

25. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The only time I worry about the cost of gas is when I go inside the gas station to pay for it. This time might cost a couple bucks more or less then it did last time. My truck gets 8-10 mpg or so and my wife's supposed "high gas mileage" car gets 20 mpg on a good day. These hot days make driving the truck a bit more uncomfortable to drive then her car, so it gets used a bit more then the truck does right now. The new coupe (48 Plymouth) will get better mileage then the truck, and probably better then her car gets, I'm hoping it will be on the road next summer.

What amazes me it how people think changing engines to smaller ones, or swapping to od transmissions (or inset your other gas mileage boosting method here) is going to save them so much money by getting better mileage then the last combination got, do the not think about how much the change over will cost? Even if a person doubled the gas mileage (which is doubtful if your currently in the 12-15 mpg range now), your going to have to drive a lot of miles for the difference in fuel costs to pay for the cost of the swap. Unless a change is necessary or planned anyway, any change simply for the sake of improving fuel mileage is a lame reason to change something. In my case, I was building a different car anyway, so it makes sense for the new ride to reflect future trends and build accordingly. The new car will be a driver, not a racer. It will be powered with a V6 instead of a V8. If I want to go faster then the V6 will go, I can always jump into the truck. If the new car was going to be a race car, the whole issue is pretty stupid. Gene

26. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

Well... A lot of people here are changing their cars to LPG-powered because LPG is very cheap (around $4,40 per gallon), so that saves you $5,10 every gallon. The LPG install costs about $3000. Because American cars are real gas guzzlers you break even after only 10.000 miles or so.

I'm one of those suckers who still drive gasoline only though :p

27. Hell I wish I just had something running other than the everyday car, so I could bitch about gas for it.

28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

That additional 4th gear (OD) comes in handy. Likewise like NZ, gas is getting expensive down-under. You guys are lucky compared to us, Europe and England. My daily driver, (Ford Explorer SUV), is fitted with LPG (Propane). Cost $4K to install and no noticeable lapse in performance. Paid for itself already, 1/2 the price of gas to fill.