Register now to get rid of these ads!

is it totally stupid for me to cheap out and use this compressor for paint???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by madmatt, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Old&Low

Old&Low

Good choice all in all, with your discount you should be able to get your use out of it, and your money back. I usually use Harbor Freight for tools that don't have too many 'moving parts,' but replaced my big Speedair (which I relegated to sandblasting use only) with a 7.5hp 80gal Harbor Freight for shop use, spent more money on 'plumbing' and quality air control! No complaints with the Harbor Freight unit so far.

2. madmatt

madmatt
    from NH

yup, im going to go do it in the next couple of days. i will post results and my setup.

thanks everyone!!!

3. madmatt

madmatt
    from NH

turns out the fine print on that %20 off thing after printed says no compressor, welders, and so on.
    one popped up on CL, new with tags for $500, im going to go look at it. same compressor

4. madmatt

madmatt
    from NH

well that listing was a total bust, it was actually the smaller one he was trying to sell as the larger one, so he was asking $50 than it cost new lol.
    what a waste of time. sat in traffic for that mess.

the folks at harbor freight were pretty sure that comp does not really go on sale.

gotta keep looking i guess

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

Don"t waste your money at Harbor Freight.Check out the Grainger website,for that kind of money you can pickup a descent upright compressor .

6. madmatt

madmatt
    from NH

well i was not going to do it unless i could get that sale price.
    seems the cheapest one grainger has is this one
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SPEEDAIRE-Single-Stage-Compressor-4ME97
    i cannot spend that much, as i am going to have too offload the thing in a couple months.
    so, its used ones off cl,

if i were going to keep it, that comp i posted would be fine.

7. jamesdfo

jamesdfo

If this (for time being) is a one shot deal, rather than buying some undersized POS wang chung compressor, have you checked around to see if anyone local rents out their spray booth? That way you get access to an adequate DRY air supply, and hopefully a fairly clean paint job.
    Then later, after the move if you decide you want to buy one sized for the job, you can wait, save, and keep an eye on the classifieds untill what you really need comes along.......buying offshore and/or undersized often ends up leaving a bad taste in your mouth, so don't compromise on size ACTUALLY required or quality now, you will soon regret it........

James

8. madmatt

madmatt
    from NH

yea, im sure you are right about the quality bit, maybe i should just buy to own and move with the damn thing.
    im not so sure renting a booth is economical. as i need to paint engine bays, and suspension parts with the cars torn apart. and so ill have to work on getting them transported to there somehow. and on top of that, when we moved from PA, i did not look for a job down here because i watch my 9 month old son. that said, i watch him a lot, and so i need to do the job close to where he can be, so its unlikely i can go rent the thing and go in and get it all done in one straight shot.

wish i was still in kansas, i have a friend there who has a booth and everything.
    wish i could spend 1k right now, or i would just go ahead and do it. maybe we will eat beans for the next month so i can just buy a good compressor.
    my wife deserves an award for the automotive absurdity she has put up with me as it is. then again, the 77 is to be her driver, and is getting painted her choice of porsche signal orange:D
    i guess beans it may be. luckily i have a quite a bit of beef frozen from one of my grandparents cows. can probably stretch that out for about 3 weeks without buying anything. good thing i like chili i guess.

actually, ANYONE WANT TO BUY A 56 chevy? im serious. its got an edelbrock performer 350 crate in it, and a 700r4. thats about the only thing of worth i have left that i could sell. well, that i could part with.

9. madmatt

madmatt
    from NH

no real update, every CL posting i have gone to has been a bust in one way or another, oh well. a lot of wasted time going out to look at them.

10. ranchflyer

ranchflyer
    from east texas

You may try looking for a campbell hausfeld VT compressor. CH gets a bad rap because they do build some real stinkers. However, any of their machines that start with a VT run a cast iron pump that has been around for ever. It is going to be marginal at best to run your DA, but it is the best cheap machine out there. Also if you can spare a little cfm on any machine, change the drive sheiv. A slow pump, is a cool pump, and a cool pump lives a long time. Just don't go below the minimum RPM of the pump or it won't oil properly. This is coming from someone with 4 years with ingersoll-rand and 4 more selling Gardner Denver/Champion.

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You just doing one car? Go get a big bottle of nitrogen and put a regulator on it and shoot it. :D

12. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

i have a 60 gallon and it works well but I don't think anything less would work for painting or sanding. My 60 pretty much runs constantly when Im doing these

13. madmatt

madmatt
    from NH

thanks
    i was avoiding the campbell hausfeld due to my experience with their stuff.
    lol, in short any item of theirs i, or anyone else i know has had, is crap.

i will check those out, but i really want something to run the da decently enough, it will save a lot of time.

14. madmatt

madmatt
    from NH

thanks, i appreciate it.

at this point i am looking at 60 and up, i am about to give up on cl
    i have a little more time, since my autox car is still taking up space in the garage when i should have had it done already.
    i am learning, megasquirt and i really suck at computers. i would have thrown dual side draft webers at that car long ago if it were not a 92.

anyway, one of you guys had mentioned the bel Aire comps, i am looking at those too now.

i found this, it seems decent, and its got free shipping. seems like a deal.
    still more money than i wanted to spend, but at least i would know i am not going to have to monkey with a CL compressor to get it to work when i should be monkeying with the cars

what do you guys think of this

seems to fit the bill to me

http://store.dejavujewelry.com/tlw-imc216v.html

IMC-Belaire 216V Air Compressor Specifications:

HP - 5.0
    PUMP - T29S
    MOTOR VOLT/PHASE - 208-230/1
    TANK (GAL.) - 60V
    CFM DISPL. - 18.59
    ACFM @ 100 PSI - 15.33 / 175 PSI - 13.75
    MAX. PSI - 165
    REC. DRYER - HT20

thanks guys!

15. madmatt

madmatt
    from NH

lol

16. ecna

ecna

I recommended the Belaire 216V. I just got mine last week. I love it. That's a great price, but it seems odd to come from a jewelry place. CARQUEST (where I work) has it on sale for $1,040 right now (I got it a bit cheaper). Maybe I'm a fool, but I didn't realize it wouldn't have a cord and plug on it. Luckily my father-in-law is an electrician and took care of it for me. Good luck with it.

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The above 5hp compressor is about the best bang for the buck, as per above...If you have a store [HF} that you can access they are on sale and probably selling like hot cakes..

18. madmatt

madmatt
    from NH

so, i finally got a comp, and gasp, i used craigslist.

the guy really knew nothing about the compressor, he had got it from his dad ( so he said)

older kellogg american tank. 80-100 gal? could be painted lol, but its not horrid

pump is a two stage low rpm MSV 20 SA. from a while back, but the pump does not look like it saw many hours.

the closest existing pump is the msv 20 max from schulz, which seems identical other than the crank case on mine has a access plat through the front.

http://schulzamerica.com/viewpdf/viewpdfMSV-20MAX.pdf

motor is a 5 horse baldor L1410T
    http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...ase-Motors-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F

he said the motor was 2 years old, and i would believe it, it looks new.

anyhow, the thing outpumped my hutchins DA at full tilt at 110 psi, the da is rated at 90.

that was when i tried the thing out before i decided to buy it. when i got it home i pulled the air filter to find it TOTALLY caked with overspray and dust. it will breath lot better with a new filter.

came with a sharpe water trap, regulators, fittings, all the pipes, wiring, switch, and chord, allthough at least the last two things i listed are most likely rigged, and i need to look at them.

i got it for $600 which i dont consider a steal, but it kept up with my DA, so if figured it met my needs. pump seemed awesome, the thing was quiet, motor was new, so i went for it rather than to continue digging about. i will post pics up in case anyone on here ever needs to reference anything similar.

however, that was the good.

here is the bad

the guy i got the thing from was running a paint shop out of his garage until his land lord found out. he evidently had to get rid of all his paint stuff and fix all the things he wrecked to be able to stay there. the compressor was in a rotten shanty the guy had poorly added to the house without without permission.

by the look of everything, the landlord would have been better of with mice in the house.

the place was so filthy i have no clue how he prepped anything in there. there was a maze of 64 impala parts everywhere, with assorted trash and random whatnot thrown in for good measure.

the comp was located past a hole in the back of the garage where he added on the shed.

anyway the rotten plywood floor the comp was sitting on gave way, almost crushing my dad who had come to help me move it.
    when the floor fell in, it took shelves with it, sending about an amazing collection of paint cans raining down on us. those ranged from empty to full.

so, we then had to get a 400-500 lb comp out of a hole.

while i feel that my father and i have a decent grasp on physics, the owner did not. to top that off he also was bad at listening, communicating, and following directions, which did non help to get the 400-500 lb thing out of said hole, through the impala, and out the door to my trailer.

so, with that i can assume the comp was not maintained well under his watch, and that everything needs to be inspected before i should trust it.

but still, i think it was a decent price for something that should totally get the job done.

lol, i will post pics. i know it sounds iffy

thanks guys