Register now to get rid of these ads!

61 chevy c10 frame swap help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61chevyapache, Jul 21, 2011.

1. 61chevyapache

61chevyapache
    from tucson

Im restoring a 61 chevy c10 and the frame is toast. It looks like im going to have to swap the frame. I have an 89 chevey 3/4 ton frame short wheelbase and I was wondering if that would work.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. Kinky6

Kinky6

Good question. I have a '57 Chevy truck that came w/ a frame that has been modified ( not by a pro :rolleyes:). So I've been looking for a good answer for a newer frame swap also.

Since you already have access to the '89 frame, I would compare the wheel base length and then the wheel mount to wheel mount surface measurement on both the front and rear axles. Come back and post your findings on here.

I'm going to guess that you'll find the '89 to be a bit wider than the '61. I've read that the '73 through '87 Chevy 1/2 tons are very close to the axle width on my '57, but I haven't checked to see how close. Since your truck uses the same bed as mine, they're probably close in width. Chevy re-designed the frames in '88, and I think they're too wide for what I need.

Hope this helps out, Kinky6 :cool:

3. CHIVO

CHIVO
    from REEDLEY,CA

Ive never heard of a 3/4 ton short wheel base

4. F&J

F&J

If you look at the 73 to 87 frames, there is a kick down where the cab goes, to get the floor lower.

I did just looked at one this spring; a 58 with the 4x4 version. It looks like shit from under the front or side. Just not working for me.

If you insist on a frame swap from GM pickups, maybe look at a 71/72 that will be stock with discs, or 67-70 if you can do drums. At least these frames don't have that butt ugly kick down.

5. An '84 will work with a little fenegeling but I don't know about an '89.

The absolute easiest is anything '60s up to about '72 but I have done an 84 chsissis under one before.

6. 61chevyapache

61chevyapache
    from tucson

Hey porknbeaner how did it look from the bottom side.thanks

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011