Register now to get rid of these ads!

MO-KS Title issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by esmith2039, Jul 24, 2011.

1. esmith2039

esmith2039

I know title questions come here alot but I want to make sure I have everything straight before I drag the truck clear up to KCK for inspection. I got the 58 F100 from someone in MO and I can get the TR12 (Kansas Bill of Sale) filled out and signed by that person as I reside in KS. As it's a antique I should be able to title it with just a bill of sale and inspection BUT at the bottom of the bill of sale this is what it says:

"If a non-Kansas resident owns the antique vehicle and the vehicle is not maintained/garaged in Kansas, the ownership of the vehicle must be
    transferred according to the laws of the seller’s home state of residence."

What do guys think would I have any trouble getting a title. MO laws are quite a bit different. I think I have relatives in KS but that's not exactly legal guess you could say. Idea's? Technically the truck was abandoned on his property and the prior owners don't want anything to do with it and they didn't have a title either.. a little history.

2. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

You have some fun ahead of you! First thing first. Check the laws in the state of your residence! Call the BMV and find out from them what you need to do. In Ohio we have a separate title office who I called when I bought my 65 Chevy truck from Oregon (the owner had a California title and TWO bills of sale)! Ohio does not play that game. In my case, I had to file a "friendly lawsuit" in the county I live in. $200 & 30 days later I was able to get an Ohio title. Do your homework and follow the rules & you should be OK.

3. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

+

In Missouri, if the vehicle is 25 yrs or older all that has to be done is the Mo owner gets a Historic Vehicle application from the Mo Dept of Revenue motor vehicles division fills it out, has it notorized and sends it along with $25.50 to the Mo Dept of Revenue. Then a title is sent to the Mo owner. He can then sign it over to any one from any state, as would a regular title. NO Vehicle inspection required. I have obtained three separate Historical titles and license long before any of my cars were drivable.
    In fct none had engines or drive lines.

4. sk8ncruz

sk8ncruz
    from pratt, ks

in our county in kansas I guess maybe we are just lucky, I have has 2 different cars with out of state titles. one was a project with a missouri title and the other a finished car from nebraska. I had to contact the local police department and they came out and checked the vin. on the project and I went to the office with the drivable car. they checked the vin. number on it. they then ran the numbers to make sure they were not stolen, filled out some paper work and off to the tag department to finish up. my buddy lives in the county not in the city like I do so he had to have the highway patrol come out and inspect his. no troubles at all the employee's in our tag office have always been great. good luck I know you here horror stories from other states, hope it goes good for you!!

5. esmith2039

esmith2039

Hmm I guess technically I could have my parents do this. They reside in MO.. have alot of relatives in MO actually that would.

6. esmith2039

esmith2039

Never had any problem with actual titles. Transferred 5 or 6 from MO without any issues.

7. HotRod33

HotRod33

Are you saying that you are getting a title by filling out the historic plate info and they send you a title.....?

8. esmith2039

esmith2039

Yeah I didn't see anything dealing with the actual title.. unless there's another form out there.

9. esmith2039

esmith2039

I've figured out how to handle this thanks guys! Well unless the guy crooks in surgery next week but I'll figure out something. I'm starting to understand why people avoid no titles!

10. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

I'd like to hear more about this too.
    I haven't been able to find any easy way to do this in Mo.
    Maybe I have missed something.

11. esmith2039

esmith2039

12. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i think he means in MO you don't have to have a inspection and out of state titles are no problem, but you have to have a title. you can't get a title by this process that i know of. i have changed over several out of state titles and had several historic lis vehicles but all had to have a title in MO. kansas is another story i think you can get a inspection after a title search and get a title.

13. bab59

bab59

If I was you I would act like you had bill of sale only. Call the local county seat and get the highway patrol to come inspect the VIN numbers on the vehicle. He will issue you some papers and take one copy back to the county seat and register it.
    Atleast thats how it works in Marhsall County... Fairly simple

14. jeep-joint

jeep-joint

I purchased a project without a title in Mo. and was told if possible try to get the title in Kansas.

Today I called the KS HP and was told to get a title I would need bill of sale for the frame, engine and body. When the vehicle passes inspection and the bill of sales are valid, a VIN number will be assigned to the vehicle by the HP. The car will be titled as the year it passed inspection and the model will be what ever it closely resembles.

If I finish the project this year, it will be a 2013 model 1932 Ford.

Hope this helps.