Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

nice going....that car was gorgeous...now, if I'm not mistaken, aren't you John's nephew/son????
    If so, are you doing the recreation or involved with it?

Do keep us updated....:)

2. rick finch

rick finch

3. rick finch

rick finch

.....more Richard.

[​IMG]

4. rick finch

rick finch

Are you kidding me, you have a remarkable memory! Your input on this thread sheds light on alot of unidentified images that get posted.:)

5. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

28247;
    408..., I saw the article somewhere on the internet about Leongs car turning up overseas a year or so ago, but can not find it now.
    At any rate, my memory notwithstanding, I believe you are correct because the car I'm thinking of did have an early model Chrysler in it.
    I stand corrected.
    Good luck in your search for the later car, and wish I could help.
    I'd give anything to be involved in one of these 'Indiana Jones' detective hunts for old artifact like on the BeBee & Sixt recreation found elsewhere here at HAMB.
    I am simply stunned by some of what I've read and pics I've seen since coming here.
    I'm posting some junk found thrown back in my cellar I discovered recently of my ill spent youth. This is as close as I can get to some of what I see represented here.
    Again, wish I could be of help.
    Tom S. in Tn.

Attached Files:

6. rick finch

rick finch

Tom that's some treasure right there.....what is the history?

7. rick finch

rick finch

8. rick finch

rick finch

Kenz & Leslie.....

[​IMG]

9. rick finch

rick finch

10. rick finch

rick finch

11. rick finch

rick finch

12. rick finch

rick finch

....a much simpler time.

[​IMG]

13. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

This has got to be one of the best threads ever. American history at its finest. Thank you to everyone who has posted.

14. brobertson2

brobertson2

What a treat to see this pic. This car gave me my first Chemistry lesson. I remember watching them at Lions coming down from a push start with the engine running and a rag was left in the injector scoop. I asked my brother why the engine was running if it wasn't getting any air and from him I learned that Nitro has it's own oxygen molecule and doesn't need outside air to burn. Cool....

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

a much better time....everything today in drag racing is just a lousy attempt at what was......

16. chevy3755

chevy3755

mazooma.........you hit the nail on the head................

17. 296ardun

296ardun

We could (and should) reminisce about how different drag racing used to be when it was fun...think about building a top fuel dragster for a few thousand (yes, we made much less then, but still the cost was much less in the early '60s)...think about going into the pits and getting next to some of the most famous cars of the time, and being able to ask questions...(autographs, are you kidding me?? never!)...think about over 100 top fuel dragsters (then called AA/FD) at Bakersfield in '64 trying to qualify for 64 spots on the ladder, one after another running down the course, think about the variety of cars (modified roadsters, gas altereds, fuel altereds, modified sports cars, etc, etc...homebuild and reflecting the builders ideas instead of NHRA rules).....

You could see it gradually get more expensive (mag blower cases, aluminum blocks, professional chassis builders, and sponsorship by some big company instead of the corner gas station, etc.)...and I guess those of us who raced then were a part of making it more expensive...(demanded payment for each run instead of just for winning, willing to buy the more expensive stuff even if we couldn't afford it...)

But we still have our memories, old trophies, and this site to keep us smiling....

18. storm king

storm king

mazooma, 296ardun, nothing else to be said...

19. I don't know if this has been posted before but I liked it. lol

[​IMG]

20. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

There was a very interesting post awhile back called "What REALLY happened to Drag Racing in 1964".I think every HAMB member should check out the posting.It really tells it like it is.

21. Ya have a link to it?:rolleyes:

22. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

23. rick finch

rick finch

Ray Hadford.....T/Gas from Seattle. (he later drove Jim Green's Green Elephant F/C.)

[​IMG]

24. rick finch

rick finch

No clue.....(but he has his hands full.)

[​IMG]

25. rick finch

rick finch

26. rick finch

rick finch

Walt Stevens in the "Odd Couple".....

[​IMG]

27. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Killer pic. Almost looks like a young lady's flip hairdo at lower right.

28. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

#28302;

Question for some of the current dragster guru's: Is this a locked rear (spool) car, or is it open with spider gears ??

I agree his hands are full, but it's still upright, so he's doing an excellent job at this point. Continued success of this run depends upon how quick his right foot reacts with the throttle, which looks closed when this photo was snapped.
    Tom S. in Tn.

29. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Here is an excellent photo from Mr. Kiwi Kev from way back around page 8 somewhere I discovered that reinforces the above question.
    I hope Mr. Kev does not mind me referencing it.

What direction would one of these cars spin out if the differentials were locked with a spool? (hint: this is northern hemisphere, which way does a commode swirl or would it be totally unpredictable)
    Tom S. in Tn.

[​IMG]

30. I'm thinking the direction would have more to do with crankshaft rotation.
    Just my 2c.