Register now to get rid of these ads!

Too Far Gone - '28 Ford Sport Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oltruckag, Jul 23, 2011.

1. oltruckag

oltruckag

I've found a '28 Sport Coupe near the house that is in pretty rough shape. Bottoms of the doors are mostly gone, the lowest 6" of the body is in rough shape, and the top of the doors are rough. The gas tank has holes in the top of it, the running boards are too far gone and the rumble seat lid is intact but quite rough.

I think it's repairable, but is it really too far gone to waste the time on? The guy is asking $1000 and is including a second frame with a 4 cyl, all suspension and a 30-31 cowl that looks to be in better shape. These have been sitting in the GA woods for the last 30 years. Time has not been kind.

Looking around it seems I can get a much better body for not too much more. This one is calling to me, but its the first one I've found so close to the house.

I was thinking about building a T-bucket, but a model A is really what I want. Looking this one and considering it as I am really has driven that point home.

What say ye?

Attached Files:

2. old_iron

old_iron
    from California

She looks beautiful to me.

3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

seriously?

looks like a good fixer upper to me, but I'm a perv when it comes to those kinds of things.

4. Good score, but i guess it depends on skill level and how much cash you can throw at it. Sports coupes are cool, and a little more rare than your average A.

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

The question is , how much would you like to be challenged? She looks like she will not be an easy prize to pick, some would choose her for that reason.

For me this would be almost ideal for my next one, it has a lot of components I would be able to modify.

Anything can be brought back. It's just a matter of who wants to do it.

6. 29ToyA

29ToyA

I would take it!

7. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Your metal working skills are going to come to play working on this one. I don't think it is too far gone, take your time and do it right, and have fun while you are learning some new skills.

8. How funny....I just went and looked at a sport coupe turned 5 window yesterday that I honestly thought was way too far gone to have been built, but it was revived. I told the buyer as he was loading the pieces up that it wouldnt make a good garden planter. He paid 700.00 for it and was content. You dont see many sport coupes. This guy im refering to bought the car in January....its done except interior, shiny paint even. We spent the rest of our lunch hour feeling like complete jackasses for the way we laughed at the guy when he drove off with that trailer full of creek bed scrap. You can build this car, it isnt too far gone, its just a matter of you wanting it bad enough.

9. oltruckag

oltruckag

This will be the oldest project I've tackled - I've been working with 50's & 60's steel up till now. I can form/weld basic patch panels, fix anything mechanical, paint, etc...

I'm 99% confident I can cut out and repair the rust, and I know model A's aren't just sitting in every barn anymore, but I just wanted a sanity check on this one. I've already left a message with the seller telling him I'll take it.

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Worst case scenario you learn a lot.

11. oltruckag

oltruckag

Clarks 29 Sport Coupe is pretty inspiring - I love the stance and the look.

I guess I'm going to need to build me a molasses box.

BTW - there was supposed to be a question mark in my subject.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  12. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

It's a 28 for sure ( red steering wheel) and a rumble seat still in tact. Glass in the doors,standing on 4 wheels.
    Are the landau irons there.
    There were 79,833 made, slightly more than the standard coupes.
    Lots of replacement parts made for them.
    I'd go to the seller with $850 in cash.
    Just my 2cents

13. oltruckag

oltruckag

I think so - there are quite a bit of parts left in the car. It'll be interesting once I start digging through it.

I may try, but he's selling his FILs collection - everything he's selling is 1k. Including the '27 T that is in similar condition.

From what I've been searching on here in the classifieds and other places on the net it looks like it'd be a few $k more for a solid body. I'd hate to loose on a deal over $150 - small change in a project like this.

14. flatford39

flatford39

$1,000.00 is a little steep in my mind. I am thinking that's a $500.00 to $700.00 tops car. You better look at the cost of wood kits for these as they are pretty pricey.

15. Look at it 1 square foot at a time (in a manner of speaking)....

16. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Hell she's worth a grand for a conversation piece, but too be honest I would not be able to build her ....she'd scare me to death to start with....I'd still give thought to having her though! Great find!:D

17. I suppose anything is possible.

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Do a search on here and see how cool 'sport coupes' can be and you'll go racing to him to buy it....

19. oltruckag

oltruckag

Not too much wood in this one - Mac's wants $315, Ford wood $319, etc... I think most of it could be replaced w/steel anyway. This one is too far gone for a restoration, so it gives me some liberty on support and assembly.

Also, another thing for me to think about is location. I may find a pristine body half way across the country for only $500 or $1000 more, but then I have to ship it. And hope it is as advertised and makes it without damage. I've touched and smelled this one - I know exactly how much the body moves when I gently nudge it...

20. oltruckag

oltruckag

Yep - the car HomemadeHardtop57 started with looks like it was in similar condition (a bit better maybe) but it is looking sweet now.

21. flatford39

flatford39

Sounds like you made your mind up with some research to boot. The wood kit prices you are taliking about may be for the top only.. I may be wrong but aren't the sub rails wood on these as well??

Good luck with it none the less. It's a great project worth saving.

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you were to haul that into a good swap meet around here with $1000.00 on it you wouldn't even get to your space. you would sell it while waiting in line.

if it looks too rough for you then it is. pretty simple.

23. Never2low

Never2low

If you're getting the banger, an extra frame, and a '30 cowl, you could make half your money back right there. Let alone just flipping the '28 to someone who can take it on. I see no down side to this.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've always liked the looks of Model A Sport Coupes, and hope to have one some day. If that car was in the garage across the street I'd pass on it for a grand, sorry for the reality check. Look at as a collection of parts, usable vs. junk plus the extras you would sell off to defray the original cost, the total won't equal the thousand dollar asking price. This will be a money pit no matter how good your skills are.

25. tobyjuarez

tobyjuarez

I was about to post a quick,, "I've started with worse" comment,,, when I looked at the pics as thumbnails.

I opened them up, and have to say,,, No, I haven't started with worse.

That's pretty rough.
    I'm sure it is salvageable, but ouch.

26. lorodz

lorodz

here is mine after looking just like that and a year later.
    [​IMG]
    its a sport coupester i used roadster winsheild stanstions and top good luck

27. oltruckag

oltruckag

Whats left of the subrails are steel. I'm pretty sure it isn't wood on this one. I may be wrong, but I can replace them with steel even if it was wood at one time.

As a few others have said, worst case it'll be a learning experience.

The last major project I tackled was a '62 F100. It was in better shape, but still rough.

I put new floor pans in (before you could buy repops) repaired both lower doors, straightened and patched all four fenders, and did basically everything to it except shoot the base/clear.

When I bought it, the guy was keeping hay in the cab "because it was dry". The engine would run for a minute if you poured gas down the carb. So, it was a complete tear down restoration, but the rot wasn't nearly as severe.

If anyone's got a better model A project within about 300 miles of Atlanta for a similar price let me know. I'll pass on this one and buy yours.

Tyson

Attached Files:

28. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Looks like every 70's car I patched here in pa.Id go for it .Painting and patching and bodywork all costs the same so it pays to pick the car of choice first......Lots of patch panels are available ,If you can shape and form thats a plus...........Good luck with it and keep us posted

29. 55chevr

55chevr

You can fab just about anything up from sheet metal if you have a pattern to follow. The quarters are especially challenging to make and they look repairable on that 28. I would go for it. Should be cheap and if you have the time it will come together.

30. billthx138

billthx138

Certainly not for the faint of heart....If you got the skills go for it. Myself, I would use it as yard art.