Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1937 to 1942 Willys Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Baddest of the bad, SWC team!

Attached Files:

2. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Great Pictures of K.S. Pittman. There was never a better man or racer than ol' KS. And top all that he was born in Texas!

1940 Willys Coupe

3. Weasel

Weasel

1939 Overland Coupe in all it's stock Art Deco glory....

[​IMG]

4. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is sweet:D

5. 40ford57chev

40ford57chev

1940 Willys Coupe Pro / Super Gas "Antique Jugs II" owned and raced by Ray Anderson of Ballinger, Texas in the 70s.

AKA as A/G Gran-Ma in the 1950s owned and raced then by Phil Parker of Parker Bros of Odessa Texas

[​IMG]
    Antique Jugs II pictured above at Wall Drag Strip, San Angelo Texas. Best ET at Wall was a 9.81 on NOS with 427 Big Block Chevy.

[​IMG]
    Jugs had 2 front ends a steel one, pictured above, and a fiberglass one pictured in the top photo. I finally optied for the flip up glass one for ease to work on the engines.

[​IMG]
    As Phil Parker's Gran-Ma, pictured above, the car appeared in the movie,
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"Ingenuity in Action Part 1 (1959) Hot Rod Race"
    about the NHRA nationals at Detroit in 1959.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]VIDEO BY[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] HOT ROD MAGAZINE[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
    YouTube video is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqCm7YO2GOI&feature=fvw
    [/FONT]

Today the car is owned by Mike Tucker of Oklahoma City, OK and is a Pro Street car. She still lives on!!!!!! See photo of her today below.

[​IMG]
    Three great lives... So far...

More information about this car at:
    http://webdesignsadsd.com/40-57/willys.html

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
    elgringo71 likes this.
  6. xracer40

xracer40

Some screen shots of "Gran Ma" from the movie Ingenuity In Action.

Attached Files:

7. 40ford57chev

40ford57chev

Gran-Ma actually had a body update after the film was made. The car hauler in your photo did not belong to the Parker Bros. They were running 3 cars. The Willys, Gran-ma, a 57 Chevy Post in C/Gas and a 32 Ford. The Parker bros father hired the car hauler and driver to takes the cars to Oklahoma City and then Detroit for the NHRA 59 Nationals. As you will notice in the photos the Willys was on top of the car hauler. Which made it set very high up. On the way back to Texas there was a low brige or overpass that the hauler driver was suppose to route around. But the driver failed to do so and when he went under the low crossing he crushed in the top of the Willys Gran-Ma.

Drag Masters in California Org built Gran Ma. So Phil Parker had to haul Gran Ma back out to California to Drag Masters. Drag Masters re-bodied Gran Ma with a 41 body instead of a 40 body. So that is why the movie has a 40 body and in later years the Willys had a 41 body. A fact I didn't even know until this last year when I finally made contact with Phil Parker.

The movie was about 'Drag Masters' who built the featured Dragster and the Willys. They also built a dragster that Phil Parker raced, after retiring Gran-Ma, until the early 60s. Phil put the Willys in his barn with it just like it was when he was racing it and it set there for years before he finally sold it in the 70s. He parked the dragster in the barn when he quit racing it in the early 60s. It set just like it was when he raced it for years. About 10 years ago the dragster was placed in the NHRA Musuem in California. Dragister was named - "old Bear" a record setter.

Ray Anderson :)

Thanks for posting the photos.

8. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Man!...Ive got to get a willys...LOL

9. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Great story on Gran-Ma, the current photo in red shows it to be a 1940 and Gran-Ma was rebodied as a 41. The roof wipers are 1940 and I would love to see the dash and a few other key parts to see if the red 40 was infact the old Gran-Ma. It's great to hear the storys about what happened to these old race cars, seems most are pro street cars today.....:( Thanks for sharing!

10. Weasel

Weasel

Did Willys make a rumble seat coupe? Well Holden's did in Australia....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Weasel

Weasel

1940 Willys sedan by Holden's is a genuine Staff Car from WW II. Note coupe style rear window and rear quarter light a la US 1941 Willys sedan. Holdens built six light Willys sedans a few years before Willys US introduced the feature for 1941 sedan models....

[​IMG]

12. Weasel

Weasel

Note the 1939 Overland tail lights at belt line height....

[​IMG]

13. Weasel

Weasel

14. Weasel

Weasel

1937 coupe....

[​IMG]

15. 40ford57chev

40ford57chev

If you will look at (Blue) Antique Jugs the wipers are below the windshield.
    I don't think those are even willys wipers, and they didn't work and were not hooked to any wiper motor. The person I bought Jugs from tried to put some wipers below the windshield and make it a street rod.
    After Mike Tucker got the car he put the wiper above the windshield.

The first time Mike Tucker contacted me he pointed out that the body was wrong. I never knew any difference while I was racing it. He said he "fixed all of that". Just what all he changed I dont know because I am not a Willys purist. I never knew the difference in a 40 and 41, I was just drag racing the car and that was all I cared about.

Re-bodied Willys are not that uncommon I understand. Many were y hurt in drag racing crashes. Jugs was never crashed but was rebodied because of the low crossing accident.

By the time Jugs was retired from drag racing she had allot of metal fatigue. The body was in great shape but she had some hard runs on her. Mike repaired the missing floors and metal fatigue. I had her dipped when I bought her and I don't remember any rust or rot at all in her body or body parts. She still had Gran-ma's paint job on her when I bought her but she had been taken all apart and I purchased her as a basket case and hauled her back home in the back of my pickup. The body was just setting on the frame on the trailer. Nothing was bolted to the body or frame including no suspension or wheels.

16. Weasel

Weasel

This coupe with stock running gear was for sale in Argentina for US $35000. Front bumper looks like 1939 Ford....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Weasel

Weasel

This Overland Sedan also in Argentina was a little cheaper....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Weasel

Weasel

Here's a 1938 Pickup from South Africa - obviously has had cooling problems!

[​IMG]

19. Weasel

Weasel

Here's a rear view shot of the stock 1939 Overland coupe I posted earlier - sure to get Gassergirl's heart pounding....;)

[​IMG]

20. Weasel

Weasel

And one more - this is just too much!

[​IMG]

21. Weasel

Weasel

Willys were also built under license in the Netherlands by H.C.L. Sieberg....

[​IMG]

22. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Looks like American bodys, thanks for the pictures. That green 39 got my heart beating!

23. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

This is the SWC #1 light Blue Willys painted candy blue.

Attached Files:

24. Devoz

Devoz

A couple more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Is that black pro street Willys in San Antonio Texas? It looks like one I looked at for sale, the current owners name is Joe and I think he still has it.

26. Devoz

Devoz

It was, and as far as I know still is. I'd love to have it in my garage.

27. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

That sure looks like my friend Frank's multiple concourse winning 39 coupe. It's an absolutely beautiful car.

28. ridgy didge

ridgy didge

This one was posted a couple of pages back.I see it on the road all the time,it's his daily driver since about the 70's i think..

[​IMG]

29. Corbo's coupe is a great looking stocker...and the white one is neat too. Notice on the Aussie car that there is a bit of the cowl exposed, which also shows up on other Aussie body company cars. The Willys hood in the 37-41 USA models went back to the windshield, and the hood side panes went to the hinge.
    One other note that leads to a question (I have my own speculation)...on the green coupe the hood markee says Overland. I have found '39 hoods with that on it, and also with the version Willys-Overland. Anyone know the origin, reason for, or any info as to why they changed from one to the other? My thoughts...the serial number on the ones I have found (Overland) were lower than the hoods with Willys-Overland, and Willys had strickly an Overland model back in the '20's. Perhaps the name recognition needed to be connected with Willys, so the addition of Willys-Overland on models that were later in the production that year...just my speculation. Like the pin stripe on the '39 body line...haven't seen that on the ones I found.
    g-willys

30. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

A couple from the meltdown drags

Attached Files: