Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Can a 4 dr look cool as a custom? 1953 Ford mostly..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squigy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

This thread is going the wrong way, the OP's question was (it's in the title people) "Can a 4 dr look cool as a custom?" not "Which is easier to get out of, a 4 dr or a 2 dr?"

Now then, to address the question: yes, I think they can be cool in and of themselves, but not as cool when compared to a two door. If I'm at a show, and I'm looking at customs, and there's one that's really nice, except it has too many doors- it pretty much ruins the car for me.

It's just something you get in your head, 2-doors are cool, 4-doors are for old people who need to maneuver in and out of them. So, to me, it's a yes and no answer all in one.

If I see a really nice four-door custom it'll be like, yeah it's really nice, but it's sort of a waste of time to put so much into a four-door.

2. You should have known better,,there is always guys that hate 4 doors and granted most cars look better in their 2 door versions but I don't throw rocks,,I own a 4 door and love it. HRP

3. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

I know...;-)

4. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

This is my dads 4 door

Attached Files:

5. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

WTF......don't do a damn thing to it except drive it. Go to the drivein & try slipping your ole lady in the back door. (that ain't what i meant , but thats what it sounds like).
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It's not actually what you start with. It's what you finish with. A talented, hard working guy can build a show car 4 door. Someone else may ruin a 49 Merc coupe. If you have the vision and determination you can make your Ford a show stopper.

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

if the doors are shaved & have a very good alignment , its hard to tell . work with what you have ! .............

8. Granger Perry

Granger Perry
    from Albany, WI

Who cares what people think. Until someone gives me money to fund my car they can piss on a rock for all i care.

9. some guy let me do a little fast road work in a 52 or 3 ford 4 door, lowered, nosed and decked, dual exh, dual carb, that was when i was about 17 year old, i was impressed and it was a nice looking automaobile

just work with it and get a nice job and you will love the effect:D

10. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

depends on the car and if the back doors change the body lines or not. Some cars look good in 4 doors. some dont. If you like it or think that it looks cool then to hell with what anyone else thinks. ;)

11. skoh73

skoh73

Here is a pic of my '53 Ford 4dr as is (except I still have the trunk handles)
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and here is the same shot that I Photoshopped with what I would like to do with it eventually. I have already lowered the car 3 inches in the front. I have thought about many different options over the last few years, and I think that the clean version would be a sweet mild custom. So, to answer your question, I think absolutely.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

12. riskybiz

riskybiz

A prime example of what looks good in a 2dr or 4dr is a 49-52 Chevy fleetline. Both style cars look gooood. Stock or chopped. Just my 2 cents.:D If you look at the new Kustoms illustrated Issue # 21 page 16 The Fantastic Fantasian is a fine example of a 53 Ford mordoor made into a kustom.

13. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

nice car. looks good as a 4 door. I would have rather had a 2 door but my Pop's (great grand father's) 55chrysler is a 4 door.But my car has been in the family since new. but I figure 4 doors make great family kustoms ;)

Attached Files:

14. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]
    4-doors can be made into very nice conservative customs...My buddy back in "59" traded his very nice "51" Merc coupe for a "54" Ford 4-door Crestline...(Hey...he was up-grading)....he proceeded to nose and deck it, remove rear door handles, rounded hood corners, lowered all-around with skirts....painted Robins Egg Blue, it was beautiful....

15. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]
    Don't forget the 53 Olds tailights...they screw right on and look really good....

16. skoh73

skoh73

The '53 lenses are cool, but a little overdone. Missysdad on the HAMB has used the '54 Olds tail lights- he shaved off the bottom and put in from behind, then frenched them in. Looks wicked!

17. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

I love mordors..... they are great parts cars. :D

18. V8edmini

V8edmini
    from Salina, ks

No offense to anybody on here., but the choice is yours. It don't mater what anybody here likes or dislikes. You have to be happy with the car. My toy is a 65 Chrysler convertable. When I go to car shows either as a participant or spectator I have never see another one. I love to be different than anyone else. Point is. You like the lines have fun and go with it. There will always be people who like it or hate it.

19. Normbc9

Normbc9

Look these four door cars over. One has a 660hp power plant and another has a 261 Chevy six w/ a Wayne 12 port head. They all look good to me.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

20. hillcogolfer

hillcogolfer

Here's my '39 Chev...I used to only want a 2 dr...now, I still like the 2 dr coupes, but seem to only gravitate towards the 4 dr sedans....hell, if you're happy with em, what does it matter what other people think?

Attached Files:

21. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

4 doors suck
    [​IMG]

jkluge likes this.
  22. StrickV8

StrickV8

not a '53 Ford, but a mostly stock Merc.......

[​IMG]

23. VonKool13

VonKool13

No, only early cars look good as customs and 49-51 Mercs. I've had a few "custom" more doors and they still suck even customized. I should have made them nice stockers and sold them to a collector. I would have had enough doe to buy a 2 door.

24. S1B

S1B

Squigy, you ever do anything with this? If you did, lets see some pics. . . .

25. It depends on your point of view, I know the style may be over the top for alot of people here but this is my old '52 Buick that was fun to build.

[​IMG]

26. Don´t see why it wouldn´t work, depending on how much time/effort/cash you are willing to invest. Here´s a pic I found online...

[​IMG]

And a quickie chop job. Looks pretty slick i think.
    [​IMG]

27. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

Two Door Four Door it don't matter just so long as you drive it pride. No matter what you do some will LOVE IT and some will HATE IT. It's your car do what you like your going to be the one driving it. GOOD LUCK...............

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If more fixed-up Four Doors were at this Merc's level, there certainly would be a demand for the body type.

This car should answer your question, hands down.