Register now to get rid of these ads!

What tools to use to repair flat spot or rim?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flat34pu, Jul 23, 2011.

1. flat34pu

flat34pu

sorry post should read "What tools to use to repair flat spot on rim? not or rim"

hey everyone, has anybody repaired the flat spot on a rim, i got a couple of rims and one has a flat spot, not much but it is there and i wanted to know has any one made a tool or know of a tool? something like some round stock curved to fit the bottom edge of the wheel to straighten it out??

or are your using a small ball peen hammer??
    rich

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. alloy or steel wheels?

3. There is a hammer specially made to take out a flat spot in the lip of a wheel.
    It looks like a narrow hoe but is thick and slightly rounded so it fits in the lip.
    A wide dull chisel will also work, (this is what I have used for 40 years) A ball peen hammer will not work.

4. 95stepside

95stepside
    from iowa

crescent wrench. put it on the flat spot and bend round again.

this trick works for me with tractor/implement rims, not always 100% round afterwards, but a hell of a lot closer...

5. 54FISH

54FISH

there is a special wrench for steel wheels , just picked it up on ebay $20 ,

6. flat34pu

flat34pu

54FISH, thanks im going to ebay and look for a pic, yes everone it is a '35 spoke wheel, should have mentioned that.
    i also thought about the cresent wrench but it dose not grab enough.
    i also wont try the ball peen hammer.
    thanks rich

7. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

A large crescent is the best tool I have ever used. Varying the opening of the jaw effects different points on the rim.

8. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

I heard this on Trucks! this morning and have been waiting to say it all day.

"BFH, baby!"

9. guys on the fordbarn would be able to help.

10. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Flat, there is a "wrench" that we oval track racers use to straighten our rims ( yes , it can be a contact sport )
    Find somebody in your neighborhood that races at watsonville,antioch,merced or chowchilla...
    If you don't have any luck finding one to borrow, call Joe Glade 408-251-4697..He is a local oval track parts dealer (alum rock area) I know he stocks them, I think they are about $25.

Tell him Dave lewis told you to call..

11. moregsxrs

moregsxrs

Some tire shops refer to the tool as a "dog bone", as it has 2 sides depending on the type of bend.

12. That heavy "dog bone" is standard fare at any tire store. Used it many times. Just stop by your local tire store and ask to use it. Cheaper than buying one for sure. As a rule we never charged to straighten a steel rim as long as there was no tire mounted on it.

13. andrew01

andrew01
    from London

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like the outfit that Andrew01 gave the link to has a US site toohttp://www.gammatradeusa.com/rim-straightener-wrench-p/lever1.htm

79 bucks might be a bit rich for something to use on one rim though.

Speedway has one for 20.99 that looks like it will do the job and at least fits in my tool budget http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wheel-Rim-Repair-Wrench,2691.html

Ebay item 360569093412

Crap, now I'll end up buying another tool that I don't now have.