Register now to get rid of these ads!

buggy spring rear suspension????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gravelpete, Jul 21, 2011.

1. gravelpete

gravelpete
    from canada

Hey, just wondering if anybody has any info that can help me out? I have a 34 ford pu with a 8" rearend, buggy spring with a triangulated ladder bar set up and a pan hard. My problem is when I step on it hard it wants to change lanes and feels like the rearend is twisting, it handles good around corners and rides okay. I do not have any preload on the pan hard bar. I run regular shocks aswell. Is there any way to keep this from happening? Thanks

2. MODELA30

MODELA30

SHOW US SOME PICTURES TO SEE WHAT YOU GOT. Knuck From Indiana.

3. F&J

F&J

x2, pics will tell the tale of why the rear is steering the car.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The first thing that rings a bell is a panhard rod with a buggy spring... Not that it is right out bad, just not necesary and could be putting things in a bind under acceleration.

5. Dirty2

Dirty2

Do you have a locker in it ?

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

7. wsdad

wsdad

Check for worn parts.

8. gravelpete

gravelpete
    from canada

no spool or locker, everything seems tight and it was worse with no pan hard bar. truck 014.jpg

004.jpg

9. gravelpete

gravelpete
    from canada

Sorry, these are the best pics I got right now and it does not have the pan hard bar installed in these pics. Thanks

10. Dapostman

Dapostman

How much squat does it have under hard acceleration?

11. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Are you sure the rear end is "twisting"? It may be squat aggravating bump steer.

12. gravelpete

gravelpete
    from canada

Not sure on the squat, I assumed it was twisting and that was why it seemed like it was changing lanes. Does the look of this set up look okay? What should I check? Thanks again

13. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

carefully put a jack under the rear diff yoke, and slowly jack upwards and see if there is any obvious deflection (simulating some axle wrap up) I would start there. And a pic of your spring perches on the axle may help us out as well...

14. gravelpete

gravelpete
    from canada

I will get better pics tommorow and I will check that.

15. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

does it change to the right lane? or the left?

16. gravelpete

gravelpete
    from canada

It wants to go to the right, it does not shoot to the right but it seems to twist to the right. It's hard to explain, and probably hard to diagnos over the computer. Thanks

17. fordor41

fordor41

make sure panhard bar is as long as possible. short bar causes the rear end to travel in a circular motion while going up and down.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

How about your rear shackles? Are they hanging at a 45 degree angle or more 90 degrees to the spring and mounts? Lots of questions, I know! 'Nother thought, which side is your panhard rod swung from? Right framerail or left?

19. gravelpete

gravelpete
    from canada

Left frame rail.

20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Sounds like a torque reaction thing. Have you got any torque numbers for your engine? What's your first gear ratio? converter stall? rearend ratio? What sort of spring stiffness have you got at the back?

Lots of torque, low first, high stall, short rear, and soft rear spring, and it could be engine torque is trying to twist the entire car clockwise. More roll stiffness at the back will fix that, but then you'll need more roll stiffness at the front to trim out the resultant oversteering tendencies, and ideally some frame stiffening to get that to work.

21. Dapostman

Dapostman

I find with my O/T daily work truck, if the rear tires are lower pressure than the front, it feels as though the rear end is braking loose. you could try lowering the front tire pressure to see if it helps.

Squat is the rear end of the body/chassis dropping on acceleration, raising the pivot point of the ladders can give you anti-squat, or even lift, which increases rear traction, if you raise it enough, but to much anti squat can cause brake hop.