Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rambler Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chuck Foster, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Chuck Foster

Chuck Foster

My son and I recently aquired a 1966 Rambler American, 2 door. Any one ever hot rodded one of these? I was told it had a 360 Dodge engine before , it now has a slant 6--ugh, Being new to Dodge stuff I'm perplexed-duh. Anyone have any hints? Thanks CF

2. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

It was NOT born with a Dodge 360 in it.

3. It's an AMC, not really Dodge at that point. That being said, I guess you can do anything you want!:D

4. sixbangr

sixbangr

5. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

How bout some pics?
    I doubt some one took the time to put a Dodge Slant six ina Rambler.
    You've probly got a stock Sixxer probly a 199 or 196 in there.

Jeff

6. retromotors

retromotors

I wouldn't get to hating too bad on the slant sixes. They are a pretty kickass engine series, and have quite a following here on the HAMB.

Terrible80 likes this.
  7. sixbangr

sixbangr

I agree, only it would be a 199 or 232. The 196 was gone by '66. My '65 has the 196 and it goes down the road just fine. These cars are pretty light.

8. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

199,232,258 all good easy to find engines.

Jeff

9. retromotors

retromotors

If at some point someone did install a Dodge V8 in the car, it could well have a slant six in it now.
    I did a slant six to 318 conversion on an older Dodge van, and it was pretty much a bolt in deal. The factory used the big transmission with an adapter plate for the six. Just removed the adapter and I was good to go.

10. Fodge

Fodge
    from Indy

Just remember the engineer who worked on the 426 Hemi also takes credit for the slant! Great engine. Wadoya wanna know?

11. I owed a '69 sc/Rambler. It was a Husrt preped factory hot rod. I wish I still had it.
    When I was a kid I remember a '66 American that was set up as a gasser, lifted,
    strait axle, tilt front end and monster big block. It was the "All American", with a flag
    paint job. It was cool. Something I'd like to recreate.

12. Funny this should come up now,I've been lookin' at a similar car in a cheapo car lot nearby, last tagged in "83??,, couple hundred maybe,???,,,,small block Ford?,,,hmmmm

13. rambler racer

rambler racer

i run a small block ford in mine just use a fox body oil pan and mustang II headers.

14. Wow you guys RAMBLE on................................................

15. rom828

rom828

I had a 1965 American 440H. Found out that the disc brakes, spindles and all from a 1978 AMC Concord will bolt right on. Pretty durable car with plenty of room under the hood for whatever. The trunnion front suspension and the rear axle were the only really weird things I remember about the car.

16. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I used to have a '66 American 2 dr. hard top. Was a 232/auto car. I swapped in a AMC 360, T-10 4 speed, and a 9" Ford rear. It was a great car.

17. Tricky Hickey

Tricky Hickey

I have a 64 American. Making a Gasser.

18. Pive

Pive

I built a '67 American Wagon- dropped in (after a K-member change) 401/TorqueCommand (A 904 TorqueFlite in an AMC case). Used an AMC Model 20 5.13 rear end with a Detroit Locker. Hooker Javelin headers bolted in. The car was street legal and serious fun. The flat white paint, plastic "statue" on the dash and the roof rack really helped the sleeper image.

19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

A friend of mine has one,here is a couple at least similar years Ive saved pics of and showed him.

Attached Files:

20. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

Chuck,

A few years ago I did a '64 American 440 HT with an SBC, Hornet discs, and an 8" Ford Granada rear end. The rear was a perfect bolt-in. These cars left the factory at about 2400#, so they make great hot rods. Make sure there are no cracks in the unibody assembly.

Mike

Mike

21. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

I did a 401 in a 72 Gremlin in 77. Factory 304. 401 bolted in with all stock parts. Little sucker was surprisingly fast.

22. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

Sorry but I Disagree with you. The "Factory" did not and never would use an adapter plate to use a V-8 to slant Six.
    There is more to consider when changing a V-8 to a Slant. Dodge front Frame mounts for engine are not even close to being the same on either of them.

23. wheelbarrowsgarage

wheelbarrowsgarage
    BANNED
    from Missiry

I had a 65 a couple years back, hoped to build a gasser out of. Wasn't quite what the seller described so I took a loss and sold it. Maybe some day down the road I will find another one. Cool looking cars, if you are interested I will dig up the drawing I did. Small block Chevy would fit right in there! Very similar is size and shape to early Nova but anybody who is looking won't have a clue what it is. Cool little cars! There were 3 trim levels I know of 220 330 and 440 if I remember correctly, 440 had the most, some of which is pretty sweet. Car Craft has one they they have done quite a lot of work to, might check out there site and pull up all the articles on it.
    POST PICS!

24. cavisco

cavisco

Chrysler used an aluminum adapter to mount the slant to a 727 auto. Commonly found in vans, trucks, and taxicabs. Slant fans like finding these to give them more transmission options for the slant.

Scott.

25. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

You sound quite sure of yourself, I have been around MoPars for many years, have seen 727's bolted to slants in both cars and trucks, never seen an adapter.

Not saying they don't exist, Mother MoPar did some strange things.

26. cavisco

cavisco

They show up every now and then on ebay and at swap meets. They seem to be most common in slant powered vans. Nice to meet you by the way. i too have enjoyed owning several mopars over the years and Dad was always a Mopar guy.

Scott.

27. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

Scott, I Believe though adapters to connect Transmission to different engines may exist, But I do not believe that Chrysler ever made this item.
    There would be no need for the factory or dealers to use such an adapter when they could just use the right transmission. The exact transmission already exists. also . Using an adapter on such different chrysler engines would be like a cheap band-aid at best.
    I would like to see one. I can not believe this "adapter" would come close to working properly on such an application.

28. wttlhunter

wttlhunter
    from Illinois

Would you recommend the Granada over an 8.8 out of a ranger for a street/strip setup?

29. Rampar

Rampar
    BANNED
    from Tucson AZ

Well, the Rambler with a dodge engine has happen, I am chucks son and we have it in now, working on the fine tuning... which is almost complete... I like the fact that most people freak out over anything that's not ordinary, or are quick to nay say... pics soon :cool:

30. jbtine

jbtine

Someone forgot to mention the most common slant 6...225 never heard of a 232 slant motor. If it is a slant motor. It would be hard to mistake one of the AMC sixes for a slant 6.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012