Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 60s Racer

60s Racer
    from northeast

Believe the '66 was sold to someone in the Boston, Mass area in 1969 and last seen about 1977. Anyone with more info.

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Like the panel paint job.

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

YEAH! Loving this thread!

4. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

5. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

My 1st run on the strip was against this wagon at MN Dragways in about 1970.

6. BadNews

BadNews

I bought a pair of these not long ago...one is flawless, and one is near perfect. The inside part of wheel is cleaner than these. I paid $500.00
    plus $50.00 for the ride. Not sorry. I am looking for a pair or a set of 4 Cragar S/S 15" X 8" standard offset (4" to 4.5" back spacing) with a direct 4.75" Chevy bolt pattern - must be clean. Top dollar paid. Need for my '66 Bel Air Project Junior Stocker. Need one pair for my rear street tires and one pair for my slicks. Someone must have these.

7. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

Auction just ended.
    I bet alot of jaws dropped when that pair of 15x4 Cragar S/S's sold for......

....$2027.99 !! :eek:

Eddie

8. copo69

copo69
    from WV

I've got the 8 inch 4.75 drilled Cragars and have been looking for a set of 4 inchers for my '69 Biscayne but these were a litte pricey. These are hard to find in really good shape, everything I see is pretty crusty and I don't think rechroming is a good option. It's a shame Cragar had to change the original design and I don't know if the vari-fits on the rear would be good on a car with slicks.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  9. copo69

copo69
    from WV

10. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

I guess I've been sitting on a bunch of "gold" all these years. I have one pair of 4 inch Cragars from the 1969 stocker and another pair of really nice ones that I had on my 55 gasser. Too bad I don't want to sell either pair. This sight had jacked me up to put back together all these old parts. It's taken me about 3 weeks to read all 500+ pages before I started posting. Reading these posts is like a flashbach to the good old days of Lions, OCIR, Irwindale and even San Fernando Drag strips. All we have left in SoCal is Bakersfield, or Irwindale 1/8 mile on Thursdays. I'm looking foreward to meeting some of the locals who post here. Tom

11. Rodshop57

Rodshop57
    from Berry Ky

My jaw really dropped.........They were my wheels!!!

12. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

Your jaw may have dropped but your wallet sure perked up!

13. Rodshop57

Rodshop57
    from Berry Ky

The sale of the wheels is going to fund more parts for the '57 Wagon project I'm working on. I never expected the bidding to get so high on these wheels, but I'm glad they did. My project has been stalled for about a month, so now I can get back to work.

14. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey guys, I haven't posted much lately---been kinda busy on my racer and another Olds that is undergoing a frame-off. About the current uni-lug Cragars and slicks: I have M+H 9" mounted on some of the newer style and as of yet have not experienced any problems. I've made 11 runs dumping the clutch at 4500rpm and carrying the wheels a good 6 inches. Bear in mind this is a small block Olds with a M21 and stock GM axles with C-clip eliminators. So far-So good! I have some "MINT" 14x6 and 14x8 original Cragars and Goodyear Bias Belted RWL that will be going on my latest "DAY-TWO" 442. As much as I "hate" the newer "square-flat" spokes on the current Cragars, I'm not spending that kind of money for the early N.O.S. ones that are popping up on eBay. Until next time..... Dave.

15. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Oh yea, I forgot to ask everyone if they enjoyed the York U.S. 30 reunion. How about those two Ponchos from Nick Smith's collection?!!!!

16. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

I've got a set of original vintage 60s 15X4" with original vintage 60s Goodyear Frontrunners mounted that i have been considering selling. They arent "cherry" N.O.S. like RodShop57s wheels -- but may be not be in that "crusty" catagory that COPO is talking about either!!! It these things are gonna bring that kinda dough on ebay I think I may just list em up and see what they can bring. Some of this "gold" that guys find in their garages from the 60s and 70s is bringing unbelievable prices in the open market. I see it practically every day -- The shelves in my one garage at home looks almost like you "turned out the lights and closed the door" in 1975 and left all that stuff just sitting there on the shelves. I had a cardboard box of "junk" that i looked thru one day and came up with an old 57 corvette fuel inj tach drive distributor that i had run in my 55 chev in 1964 and popped it on ebay and it brought $265.00. Truth be known, I probably bought it new down at the Chevy parts dept for about $20. I also had a pair of offset corvette valve covers on that car that i bought probably about the same time down there at the local chevy parts dept for a whopping $15.00 for the pair. Yea! Still got them too -- and the boxes they came in were on another shelf but I tossed them because they were soo rotten! That was probably a big mistake too?
    I pretty much did just that --- quit racing in about 78 -79 and turned out the lights and never looked at that stuff in that garage for almost 30 years ---- car included ( the 66 Belair SSR or P/S car). Yup -- its still there today -- just like the day i parked it - with a tarp over it! Been wondering if I could get dig it out and get it running in one day or not? Thats how complete it is - right down to the slicks!! That car has original Fenton 4"ers on the front of it!! LOL!

17. Larry Fulton

Larry Fulton

I'd be curious who bought them and what are they going on?

imo - Once they're mounted to the hub there not new any longer.

Congrats to you on one fantastic Sale!!!

18. That's crazy man. Glad the funds are going to good use though, very cool. Here's my crusty original 15x4" Cragars!
    -Dean

Attached Files:

19. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Man Dean -- Them sure are crusty!! LOL
    TV

20. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Heres my "crusty" old curmudgeons!! - both wheels and tires are 60's vintage originals.

Attached Files:

21. Rodshop57

Rodshop57
    from Berry Ky

I just got off the phone with the winning bidder. I had really hoped that they would be used on a Gasser or Junior Stock car, but it seems they will end up on a '67 Camaro. The kicker is, it already has 15x4's on it, but they have the later "Shiny" chrome around the lug nut area and not the earlier dull finish!!!!!

22. Rodshop57

Rodshop57
    from Berry Ky

Thanks Dean, It is money that is going to help a lot. I didn't use the wheels on my '57 because they were too nice for my car. I love crust like most of us do! You've got a great looking '55. That's my kind of car!

23. goodwrench 1957

goodwrench 1957

I just got a call from a friend, he has 2 Z16 Chevelles, one he bought new, he has a picture of a Z16 , in Springfield, Mo with Terrell Chev, on the quarter, anyone know the car, or what happened to it? for DW31S, I talked to Nick Smith, those 2 Pontiacs were onreal, nice guy.

24. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

In high school, 1962, I had a buddy in the parts dept of the local Chevy dealer. I used to buy Corvette valve covers for cost plus 10% which was $10 and sell them at school for $20. Decent profit for the time, I should have bought a truck load and saved them for now or later.

25. copo69

copo69
    from WV

What I understand is back in the day the Cragar factory touched up the lug nut area with silver paint as it couldn't be polished. As for rechroming they must be taken apart, chromed and welded back together. Its good to hear the unilugs survive slicks. Dave, your Olds is really neat.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  26. copo69

copo69
    from WV

27. Larry Fulton

Larry Fulton

Wow, that's quit the reason to spend that kind of money on 2 wheels?

But the fact is, You both got what you wanted and that's all that matters.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  28. BadNews

BadNews

COPO69,
    Any chance you'd sell the 8" Cragars? If they're clean and a standard offset, I may make you an offer. If I don't find them soon, I may go to a smaller 7" rim and tire.
    BadNews

29. BadNews

BadNews

copo69,
    I know of a guy in the NMCA with a gold '68 Road Runner that runs
    mid-10's with the late model Cragar S/S vari-lug wheels and big slicks.
    He has been running them for about 3 years now without incident. I believe the vari-lugs are just fine with slicks. I just don't like how they look, personally. It's a slight difference, but different strokes for different folks. I may concede at some point, but I'm still looking for the direct bolt pattern Cragars.
    Bad News