Register now to get rid of these ads!

Single throw 'split?' toggle switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Downs, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I need help finding a toggle switch. It’s used in an O/T farm tractor, but I’m hoping that the switch is unique enough and the topic can stay. It seems that the switch is ‘split’ to allow the on-off to be reversed on each side of the connectors.

It is a single-throw switch with 3 connectors on each side. In the ‘up’ position the circuit to the magneto ground is open and the circuit to the hour-meter is closed, allowing the engine to run and hour-meter to operate.

Switch in the ‘down’ position it is the opposite, mag is grounded (closed circuit) and the hour-meter circuit is open, shutting the meter off.

I’ve attached a crude schematic. I also spent some time at my local small-engine/electrical parts store with some knowledgeable counter guys with no luck. The switch may have an aircraft application as the previous owner was an A&P mechanic.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

......Forgot to attach pictures.....

Attached Files:

3. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

Am I missing something, or is this just a common double-pole, double-throw switch? You want the kind that's ON-ON, not the ON-OFF-ON style that is more common, though the latter would also work.

http://www.delcity.net/catalogdetails?item=73246

4. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Looks like that is what I need !

Damn - this place is impressive - thanks Joe!

5. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Graingers would have it too.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, double pole double throw is what's pictured. He could also use a single pole double throw, with the ground connected to the "common" terminal. The ground needs to go to the hour meter to show time of usage, and when it's time to shut the machine off the ground is removed from the hour meter, and grounds out the mag.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Ebbspeed is too fast for me! SPDT will work just fine. My question is, why did the OP mention a single throw switch, then draws a schematic with a double pole switch?:eek: GO FIGURE! Find the switch at your local SH_T SHACK!

8. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

mcmaster carr part number7343k841 its a 3 pole single throw (its is a maintained switch either on or off)has 6 terminals on it.hope this helps approx$13.00

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Get your SPDT toggle switch at the RAD SHAK, #275-603, at a very reasonable cost of $2.59. It is rated at 125VAC @ 5 amps. This should do the trick. Simply hookup per EBBSPEED post.

10. While a SPDT switch would work in this application, it may be confusing to some operators with the three positions.
    We used to use a switch as pictured for snow plow lights, it looked like a DPDT switch but it did not have a center "off" position, it was "on"or "on". I remember they were Cole Hersee switches, I think we got them from Waytek Wire.

11. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

One thing to watch for on toggle switches is their DC current rating. Its usually way lower than their AC rating, and some of them aren't rated for DC use at all.

IMO, Cole Hersee has the widest line and best switches, both toggle and key operated, for automotive use of anyone out there. Most heavy truck parts houses handle Cole Hersee. They're probably not going to have the switch with 2 on positions in stock, but I've ordered oddball switches like that thru a local HD truck parts house in the past and had them in 3 or 4 days.

You could even get a key operated switch from Cole Hersee that'll perform the same function with 2 on positions, and its not the same as a standard key switch with on and accessory positions because that particular C-H switch allows you to remove the key in either of the ON positions and lock the switch in position. Like the toggle switch you have, the C-H key switch with 2 ON's doesn't have an OFF position.

12. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Dave, I have one of the switches you are looking for...Can't remember the part # !
    It is in the box, on the shelf at the shop..I will look for it as soon as I get in this morning..
    I ordered it for my lincoln gas powered welder.. turned out to be a broken wire, not a bad switch. So on the shelf it sits...lol
    Dave

13. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

...Because I'm much better at drawing diagrams than I am at identifing electrical components.....:D

Thamks to all for the replies

14. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

I'm guessing the fact that this was an ON-ON style switch (without a center OFF position) makes it seem like a "single throw" switch. Anyway, that's the story and you should stick to it... ;)

15. I have a drawer of those on-on switches from when my dad worked for the phone company designing test equipment. (no Chinese crap back then) I'd gladly send you one if you PM me your address.