Register now to get rid of these ads!

Astro Supremes or steelies on a Ford F1..pics anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slammed49, Jul 21, 2011.

1. slammed49

slammed49

Thinking about a set of 15x8 Astros with WWWs on my 1952 Ford F1,or just run the steelies with WWWs...pics and opinions please,Thanks

2. rick finch

rick finch

3. milo1303s

milo1303s

I think but I know nuthin that Astros are a pinner white wall wheel not a www wheel!! just my worthless 2 cents !

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I dig steelies with poverty caps.

Attached Files:

5. Sooner or later I plan on running Merc steelies painted black with 1.5" white walls on mine.

6. I not sure what you are saying, please try again :confused:

7. I pulled a set of Astro Supremes off my 50 Chevy pu and sold them to replace them with steelies...

And, here is a pic of my beater 51 F1 that I had with steelies and wide whites.

[​IMG]

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What he is saying is that the Astros work with the very narrow whitewalls but in his (and my) opinion don't work with wide whites.

Steelies and poverty caps with or without rings or chrome reverse steelies with caps or spyders.

I don't get the Astro Supreme thing because to me they look like the car owner settled for the cheapest spoke wheels that the tire store had when he went looking for shiny wheels for his car. And that is exactly what they were originally. About one step up from those chrome steel "modular" wheels but on the same caliber. About like putting on a 500.00 suit and then going to Walmart for 5.00 shoes in most cases on most cars.

9. Astro Supremes were REAL popular on traditional lowriders, before the 13" wire wheel thing happened. They look good on a lot of 60s mild customs too in my opinion; I'd like a set for my Riviera. But not on 50s(or probably any)trucks!

10. ...for a 60's look, steelies and pinner whites...

[​IMG]

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

unless you are building a bubble top 60's show rod Astros and wide whites go together like peanut butter and mayonaise.

12. Steelies orTorque Thrusts

Attached Files:

13. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Supremes are one of my favorite wheels, but will look undersized on that truck, Steelies is usually the way to go on trucks IMHO.

14. el shad

el shad

Id like to see one with Astros just for arguments sake.

15. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

well, its an F100

[​IMG]

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

None of the above. OEM style chrome reverse wheels with a 1" whitewall or WWWs. I'd do the wide whites w/out ever lookin back.

17. slammed49

slammed49

How about this...my buddy pulled out 4 original 14x7 American Torque Thrust and GAVE them to me!...these are definetly 60s correct .....now I hope the 14"s fit over my Volare front rotors,..any body have an answer for that?...all this great advice has been very helpful by the way,I always respect HAMBers advice.

18. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I guess it all depends on what kind of look you going for. Beater,shop truck, Kustom and on and on and on and on………What I mean is, if you're looking for an early/mid 50s look then in my humble opinion maximum 3 inch wide whites and steelies.

Then again, if you're going for a late 50s/early 60s look then I'm with the Highlander. However, if you've really got your heart set on Astros, which automatically takes you into the mid-60s then use a narrow white band/wall and please, please, pretty please with sugar on top don't leave a disc brake conversion visible behind them. But like I said at the beginning this is just my humble opinion, and I'm only offering its because you asked.:D
    Best of luck,
    Paul

19. erlomd

erlomd

I have to admit, the astros are cool, and if you wanna make your truck look like a 60s custom then go ahead...my 2cents for the day, and for your truck however would have to be the steelies...painted to match, white walls with trim ring and spider caps....maybe some bullet lugnuts in the mix as well....i just cant stray awau from that combo...get youself a set of hubcaps and you can dress your truck up whenever you feel like wearing a suit...lol

20. Big Nick

Big Nick

21. limp

limp

i vote for steelies,just my opinion

22. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Steelies are my first choice.

Attached Files:

23. ...my buddy's F-1...

[​IMG]

24. Winner!^^^^^^^^

25. slammed

slammed

What color combo you plan on? Theme of the truck, too. Early '60's mild custom (hint) or semi work/shop truck? Detail's man.