Register now to get rid of these ads!

'40 ford coupes....where are they?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanCollins, Feb 22, 2008.

1. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Sounds like a 40 coupe has been a dream car of yours for a while. Why let it go unless you REALLY need too? The only way I would get rid of mine is if I were in a "cash emergency", or were upgrading to a nicer one(or more traditional like Mpls 40's). But then I have had mine since I was 13 (28 years), so selling it would be like giving up a child! :)

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I guess I should add mine with the 291 Desoto hemi, 5 spd, and Granada rear end. Chrome dash... hood optional!
    Having a ball! Al

Attached Files:

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

"40 rod coupes...where are they?"

Not in my garage dammit :(

4. Mr. Moriarity that Caddy motor is beautiful.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Mine. Still a ways to go.

Attached Files:

6. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I se this thread has made it back up again. I posted a pic of my 40 on here a couple of years ago right after I got it. Here is a pic of it the night before I drove it to Austin for the roundup!! Lots of changes in the lest couple of years. AND its torn apart again gettin new rear gears and a new Merc flathead!!

[​IMG]

7. Don't sell your 40 whatever you do. I still rue the day I let mine go with a promise that I could buy it back anytime I wanted. Yeah, right. Like he kept his promise.
    Just found a His and Her's Photo.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  8. Thanks Man....I'm hearing you and others who have commented!! I sat in the coupe last night and had a couple of beers listening to the garage radio......Awesome ..trying to envision the music as the sound of Porter Mufflers out the back.....maybe it was more than a couple beers.....Ha.

Thanks again for the input.

Murph

9. I've been on the fence about selling the one I got a few months back, even though it's my dream car, the one I have is super rough. I can save it, but realistically I see life getting in the way. Really trying to hang on to it though. Maybe we can start a support group? :D

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

One of the worst days of my life was watching this one go down the road. I knew that day that I had made a big mistake. The first hotrod that I had touched every nut and bolt on. Not a coupe, but as good to me.

Attached Files:

11. Ha...a support group would be great.....buy a car and let them hold the title....

12. markl350

markl350

Not sure what catagory to put mine in..."bastard child" one half 39, one half 40?

Attached Files:

13. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Fourty's n Flames make a awsome combo

14. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Rule number one; Once you have a 40 coupe never sell it to buy a Deuce. Rule number two; Once you have a Deuce never sell it to buy a 40 coupe. Rule number three; You need to buy both a Deuce and a 40 coupe during your time on earth.

End of sermon!

Attached Files:

15. markl350

markl350

How can you go wrong with reasoning like that? Is this in a HAMB "book of commandments ?

16. tofords

tofords

Lynn at pewsplace is right 32 rdstr. and a 40 coupe.......Frank

Attached Files:

17. Labold

Labold

Love those 40 coupes (and sedans, and convertibles, and trucks and titties...)

18. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Very Nice! Of course, Mark's is also Very Nice!

19. But But It's not my fault it followed me home! Well after i dragged it up on the ramp truck that is. I think i have some work ahead, but damn it i found one !

Attached Files:

20. I have never owned a Deuce, the closet I came to that was owning both the 40 Opera Delux and a 32 Chevy Sedan at the same time. But I do agree with your rules. :D
    I put the photo of His and her's in the wrong post, DOH.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  21. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

22. That looks fairly solid. Good luck!

23. It's a lot rougher than it looks. the good part is it came with another body shell with a much better rear clip. This one was pretty rusted and poorly repaired.The rain gutters were also removed.The frame is very good, all in all a great start. I sold my last 40 coupe to a friend back in the late 70's. always regretted it. I has taken me 10 years to find another one that was not priced by the pound!

24. realkustom51

realkustom51

Found this 40 coupe this week. Its hard to see with my cell phone camera. Its also covered in dirt and debris. The house was abandoned. Im still working on it. Around Cherryville, NC.

[​IMG]

25. I'm getting closer. Got the firewall pinstriped today. Ready to put back on the frame.

Attached Files:

• 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  26. I bought this one recently. This is what happens when you mix gas fumes with a space heater. The '40, a Mustang, 2 Model T's and a dozen or so antique tractors reduced to a pile of rusty metal.

It has some usable parts. I wanted it for the motor. It turns over, has clean oil on the dipstick. I plan on going through it and then replacing the sbc that is adapted to my 3 speed.

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      93.3 KB
      Views:
    • 027.JPG
      027.JPG
      File size:
      96.4 KB
      Views:
    • 028.JPG
      028.JPG
      File size:
      90.3 KB
      Views:
    • 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      84.9 KB
      Views:
    • 020.JPG
      020.JPG
      File size:
      79.9 KB
      Views:
  27. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Heres my 1940 Ford Delux coup bone stock. Still running the 6 Volt Elect oral. interior one re paint reversed eye springs mitchel over drive. The car has never been apart

Attached Files:

28. Thanks guys for bringing this thread back up. I can never get too many great visuals of '39 and '40 Fords. Hope more folks post added pics.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  29. Man...What a shame! that coupe would make great 'Yard Art' now, but is certainly very sad to see in that condition.

Murph

30. bobbyjamesf1

bobbyjamesf1

If I could build any car I wanted, No budget, It would be a 39-40 Ford coupe. Old school style. I've been crazy about them for 55 years!