Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aircleaner Conversion (dry mesh, NOT oil bath) - Ever been done?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olosipu, Jul 18, 2011.

1. olosipu

olosipu

I want to cut open the stock airfilter for my 1950 ford V8 (dry mesh NOT oil bath), and put in a modern paper filter. Has anyone seen this conversion done? I have heard of it being done on the two piece oil bath types, but my is a one piece unit...

2. olosipu

olosipu

Here is a photo of the aircleaner...

Attached Files:

3. olosipu

olosipu

Notice in the photo that the top is closed,and never intended to be opened. I was hoping that someone else would know what was inside or how best to cut it open before I go all MASH 4077 on it in order to put a modern paper filter.

Attached Files:

4. samurai mike

samurai mike

maybe this is a dumb question but whats wrong with an oil bath air filter?

5. jimbousman

jimbousman

Just finished converting a '49 Ford "pumpkin" air cleaner to paper. Sorry I did not photo the progress but basically there are a number of layers of metal inside. My guess is it acts more like a noise baffle than adding any air cleaning effect. I plasma cut the top side of the pumpkin then welded in a flat disc to support the paper element. I cut the base out and match cut the bottom out of a 4 barrel GM pancake air cleaner then welded them together. I sourced and element (1979 - 1989 Toyota Corolla) Finally I welded a flat plate on the bottom of the cap. To finish it off I cut a strip of brass screening and formed a band to wrap around the paper filter. In primer now. Will send photos.

Regarding why paper versus oil bath? Paper is much more effective for the high air volume demands of newer engines.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  6. jimbousman

jimbousman

Here are before and after photos of my conversion

Attached Files: