Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **Malcolm Model A Roadster Build**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Mar 5, 2011.

1. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Nick-I'm almost happy to hear that you're backing off on your deadline. The anticipation of finally driving your project can make it easy to forget that the build is half the fun. Take it slow and enjoy it. You're doing a killer job so far...keep it up, no matter how long it takes.

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I appreciate all of the steering wheel offers, guys. I actually have a spare from my dad's old tractor that I will use.

You may be surprised to hear this, but I really have no desire to make and changes to that bike. :) It's great as-is and part of what I like about it is that it's completely stock and, in my mind, needs no improvements. Really is a great bike!

Yes, I remember that well. I've been riding motorcycles for a good 19+ years and have been fortunate to not have had any major (motorcycle) accidents. I do realize the dangers of riding on the streets and know that I need to be VERY alert and aware of the traffic around me.

3. Hey Nick, the car looks Great, and so does the bike! I love Ducati's!

I think you are wise to enjoy the summer! Are we going to see you at LARS?

4. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

HAHAHA!!! Right on Nick!!!! Have fun and be safe!!!

CONGRATS !!!! :)

5. hawgrod

hawgrod
    from nebraska

&%$!in bikers............

6. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

No Malcolm Roadster updates? Must be out riding his Duc'! Still gonna make it out to B'ville this year? Can you hook a trailer up to the bike for road trippin'? haha

7. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Still comin' out to Bonneville? Even without the roadster?

8. X2???:confused:

9. hasty

hasty

Are you tired of the bike yet? Looking forward to updates....

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks for the posts, guys.
    Work has been extremely busy lately and it's most likely going to prevent me from going to KKOA Salina, KS, next weekend.

Also, I REALLY want to go to Bonneville, but it'd be smarter to take a couple days off, actually get some work done on the Roadster, and put that trip money towards the car.

So, after our August 2nd deadline here at work, I'll finally get back to the car and make some progress -- looking forward to it!

11. We'll miss you at Bonneville. Next year.

12. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

X2!

Smart move Nick. Hope to see you out in 012. Looking forward to the updates on the roadster.

13. I am in the same boat but I still have to go. mcTim has a tank I need to pick up!:eek:

14. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Looking forward to seeing you resume work on the roadster. I don't blame you for taking some time away from a few shows. I should be doing the same.

Have lots of fun on the Ducati and be safe.

15. stlcrzn

stlcrzn

Hey Nick, hope to see some updates soon. Some time away will help the attitude towards working on it again!! Hope to see you again sometime.

16. Brandi

Brandi

Sigh... we'll always have Vegas. :p

17. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

We need an update! :) We're dying on the vine man! haha

18. jay7262

jay7262

That Schwinn Hornet was killer, and that roadster will be too

19. jay7262

jay7262

Are you going to trim back that 29' dash panel to clear your gauges, leave a section to the left to mount the fuse block. Do you have the glove box door? that's a nice touch to throw registration and insurance B.S. I picked up a 25' Buick dash at a swap $20 for my 29' P.U. I'll have to change the radius a bit. Everything looks good

20. jay7262

jay7262

I thought you put on a set of Brookville doors

21. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Looks cool so far. Hope you get back to work on it soon. Can't wait to get something to work on myself.

22. sololobo

sololobo

Dear Nick, I am a little worried that I may be out of the loop as I do not have a motorcycle. Will we all still be friends? Just jivin ya a little dude, nice Ducati. I like the sterring wheel on the roller for ease, nice thinkin and nice help from the bros. Keep on keepen on! ~sololobo~

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Haha... take it easy, Chris :)
    More shit came up at work and I'm still doing 60+ hour weeks, so not much in the way of progress. BUT, things are supposed to get back to 'normal' soon and I can get back to work on the Roadster.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I will be cutting out the Model A (cowl) fuel tank and placing the fuse block up in the cowl. May also place a small battery up in the cowl, too. I do have the glove box door that I will make functional with a glove box behind it.

I had borrowed a pair of new Brookville doors from a friend, but decided not to use them for a couple reasons. The main one is because it would cost about $1,000 for a new pair of doors. Also, the original doors actually fit the car much better, as far as fitting the door openings and the overall curve of the doors compared to the cowl and quarters. So, I went ahead and made those new inner door panels and will need to do a lower door patch panel on the exterior.

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I had some time on Sunday to finally clean my garage and basement out and decided to roll the car out to compare it to my Uncle John's 'glass '30 Model A Roadster.

I've been driving it for the past week and really have enjoyed it. BUT it sure does make me glad I'm building a steel car. With some of the shitty streets in Omaha, that 'glass car sure can be a rattle trap. Those doors rattling over bumps can drive a guy nuts!

[​IMG]

25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL...you should buy a long wheelbase car, like the Ford you had...that "new" Model A of yours, even if it is steel, is going to cause you to visit the dentist more often than you have been cuz it's going to shake your teeth out.

Ahhhhh, to be young again...!!!

R-

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Haha! :)

I wasn't complaining about the ride quality, it's just the flimsy 'glass body and those damn doors rattling! His car actually has a Heidts IFS and a Corvette independent rear, so I'm sure my car won't ride as well, especially running bias ply tires.

27. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

time for a testdrive?

28. jay7262

jay7262

yeah, I didn't know you borrowed the doors, good choice to keep yours, oh, it was just that you could see the "A" garnish panel behind your dash panel and was wondering if you were loosing it after you mount the later dash.

29. hasty

hasty

Looking good, but a proper update would be nice!

30. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Alright, alright, I'll try and take it easy. Seeing the pic of the roadster outside will help hold me over for the time being. ;)