Register now to get rid of these ads!

what to do knoxville tn next 2 weeks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slag Kustom, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

another work problem has me traveling to knoxville for the next 2 weeks to hire a new owner operator to do home deliveries and replace the guy we have there now.

not looking forward to being away from my projects cause i get really bored sitting in hotels and bars when i could be doing much more in my garage. to help keep myself amused i going to bring a motorcycle with me to enjoy the nice roads but most days i have next to nothing to do.

If any one is in the area or knows of things to do let me know. think im staying on strawberry plains rd near 40

2. fbama73

fbama73

Not our kind of car-related, but if I were in the area with a bike and time to kill, I'd go ride the Cherohala and the tail of the dragon.

I've done them both in a ragtop sports car, and they were a blast. A bike would be even better

3. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

Ride over to maryville,we criuse there alot great scenic roads or ride to pigeon forge which is close lots of hot rods and bikes around to look at.You can also take a lift up top of mountains in gatlinburg

4. What's this owner/operator delivering? I work hard & honest.

They have a little cruise night at the mall in Maryville on Friday nights. Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car Museum in Pigeon Forge is good. Ride the Dragon.

I have my kids this week so I'm tied up. Next Monday & Tuesday nights, I'm free. We could grab a beer or something....

JH

5. Willy301

Willy301

x2!

6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

dragon is part of the reason i am bringing my xb12s buell with me

7. Haywood

Haywood
    from M'boro,TN

Dragstalgia is this saturday at I-40 near Crossville. The track is right beside the interstate. It would be close to a two hour drive,,,, but worth it!!!

8. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Once in pigeon forge, continue on to Gatlinburg, and then cruise the smokey mountains.
    Take the expressway from knoxville to asheville NC. Probably the single most beautiful strech of inerstate X-way east of Denver Colorado.
    Biltmore estate is worth seeing.
    Go pet the bears and meet the native American Indians in Cherokee NC.

Yea, yea... I know, tourist crap... But 12 million visitors a year cant all be wrong. Your in a beautiful part of the country. Go out and enjoy it.

9. yeah....Cherohala, Deals Gap(dragon), Blue Ridge Pkwy....good riding:cool:. Scoot on over to Maggie Valley NC...Wheels thru Time motorcyle museum. Go drink beer with Harrison---he's a hoot:D

10. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

lots a good ideas. keep them coming. leaving in an hour

11. hershambob

hershambob

sonnys scap yard,but i cant remember where it is,sort of north east of knox

12. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

We have a cruise-in on Clinton Hwy every Saturday afternoon/evening. Its a nice gathering about 1 1/2 miles north off of I640 not far from where you'll be staying.

13. Goob333

Goob333

They have a good cruise-in at Morristown every Saturday night as well. Go East on 40, then take 81 towards Bristol, then I pretty sure its exit 8 at White Pine and then go towards Morristown. Go a ways and the mall is on the left you can't really miss it.

Then like they said theres always Pigeon Fordge, Gatlinburg, Cades Cove isnt bad if you like that sort of thing.

14. Lots of good music in the area, and over in Asheville, NC. And if you like this sort of thing, Smokey Mountain Knifeworks is a must stop for me.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/brands/Smoky+Mountain+Knife+Works®/101.html

And Honest Charley's is two hours down the road in Chattanooga.

http://www.honestcharley.com/

And ditto on the backroads over to Pigeon Forge and that area. Lots of good riding around Waterville, NC. Great area of the country. Good folks. Blue Ridge Parkway is not to be missed.

15. fbama73

fbama73

What I wouldn't give to be in Knoxville with "not much to do" for a couple of weeks.

You're in the most beautiful part of the country, and with probably the nicest people you'll find anywhere. Some more ideas:

Spend a day on the bike in the park. Check out the abandoned Summer homes at Elkmont, Ride to Clingmann's Dome, watch the Sunset from Morton's overlook (Two pulloffs North of the State line on 441). If you're up early enough, watch the Sunrise from the first pulloff area South of the State line.

Take a ride through Cherokee, head out to Bryson City, and ride out the "Road to nowhere."

I'm much more into the natural beauty of the area, but I love catching the live Bluegrass at the Ernest Tubb record shop in Pigeon Forge.

I'd avoid Cades Cove like the plague on a bike- EVERY tourist goes there. However, Cataloochee is another early settlement you can check out. It has much less tourist pressure, and if you're there near Sundown, you should also see lots of Elk.

Ditto what everyone says on the Blue Ridge. The Foothills parkway is nice, but there's not as much of it (yet)

I'm more into the natural beauty than the touristy stuff, so my favorite part of Gatlinburg is the bypass.

16. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

^^^ If you do make it down to Chatanooga, you could check out Rock City and Ruby Falls :)

17. appaRATus

appaRATus

Also Coker tire and Honest Charley's

18. ratster

ratster

they moved the cruse-in from the mall down on 411 towards greenback. a lil diner called sunshines

yeah, harrison owes me a beer. Next Monday & Tuesday nights, I'm free also....look for me in my roadster, i'm all over knoxville in it everyday. I'll be on clinton hwy sat night for the cruse-in

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  19. Gator

Gator

Another plug for Floyd Garrett's place in Pigeon Forge. Mainly muscle cars but plenty of neat stuff to look at. We'll be in Gatlinburg this weekend too. Traffic is terrible in Sevierville / Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg on the weekends though, bunch of rubberneckin' tourists - haha.

http://musclecarmuseum.com/

20. RPM

RPM

We are right at the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg exit on I-40.....Be warned they are doing construction there and have lowered the speed limit to 35 on Hwy 66. It is well enforced, with several unmarked cars, so watch out for the man.

If you r in the area give me a call and swing by the shop.

21. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

spent most of the day riding around on the nice back roads. saw a lot of old pre60's cars for sale.

are there any scrap yards that sell. always looking for aluminum chunks and plate

22. PSC Metals could probably hook you up there. I think they are on Central Avenue in Knoxville.

I'll call this weekend to see what early next week looks like for you.

Jim

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  23. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Cool thread.My neice and her mom just moved to Maryville so Ill be making trips up that way once a month.