Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is cruising dead???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie 51, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Think I'll hit the Stand By button, and go out cruising in the Stude this morning.

2. longbike

longbike

Most of the kids these days are lucky to even have a job with min. wage pay, try filling up a fuel tank these days just to cruise on that pay!
    It killed me back then and the fuel was at 37cents a gal.

3. Rocky, I guess you might call us cruising Zombies. We don't think cruising is dead. We find a reason to cruise & just do it.
    Yesterday I cruised down to the A&W, was invited to park on the mowed lawn, & won a trophy.
    CRUISING WILL NEVER DIE IN MY EYES.:cool:

4. Thats why I carried an Oklahoma Credit Card with me....LOL:cool:

5. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

So, if we in the US educate ourselves, strive in our jobs and make a lot of money doing it, we are supposed to stop and wait for the rest to catch up? When I was poor and homeless, someone told me to find a successful person, take them to lunch and pick their brain. How do you make money? How do you achieve success? I basically did this and followed that person's advice. I basically met the CEO of a local bank I used to bank in and pigeon holed him into a talk. Helped me and I'm not rich by any means but I work, I have a nice place, acquired some cool cars, and even was able to buy a couple of new cars since. In addition to my work, I started two businesses and am starting another one. I sell my own art, I have a mobile DJ business and am starting a business that weathers G scale model trains to add some realistic patina. I know this is off topic but I had to reply to this post. Cruising still goes on in Milwaukee and surrounding communities. Technically illegal but it goes on. Plus tons of cruise nights on any given night here.

6. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

You live in SB? I used to live at 24 W Arrellaga street. Loved that city.

7. dmikulec

dmikulec

Today I cruised... over to the garage and spent the afternoon working on my old '63. Figure by the time I get her done, cruising will be back in style. :cool: :D

8. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I don't know how I feel about this thread staying alive... it's good, I guess.

Kids are still cruising around my town, at least all the kids who put pride into their cars. I think a lot of the values of cruising are still present.

9. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I don't think cruising will ever die. We Americans will never get over our love affair with cars,
    the open road, and a sense of adventure. Or, am I just being nostalgic.

10. Its guys like us that keeps cruising alive.:cool:

11. oldschoolgasser55

oldschoolgasser55

cruising is alive and well in so cal .
    go to so cal car culture click on cruise nights wednesdays ...

enjoy see you there !!

12. A51orSo

A51orSo

Well..Cruzin was something that we did in the 60's up until the mid 80's..life for most of us was more like going to hang out. Most of us had money to add performance parts or mods to our rides and we went to show off the new stuff in a parking lot or someplace everyone came to for the same reason..some racing was done to show who has the muscle..but we did make time to stay in touch with the people who were always working on their rides. It seemed in those days there were more speed shops to go to and drag parts places..now everyone seems to sho the web..build stuff in the garage and show it off now and again on the street on the way to a park and show your ride setting...few people just hang out just for the element of being friends and talking or performance much anymore..it's more like the new crowd wants to draw attention and make issues for all that's kinda-why most cities have a crack down on gathering and being off the streets by 11:00pm..us older guys just need to get out and do what we used to do..paint/performance/engines/tires&wheels/pipes/music...up your project ride..and make a difference...everyone will see it is still cool to have nice looking muscle under the hood..and have a look all your own.
    So... build a motor, grab a rattle can, turn up the stero and do your thing.

13. Ramblerturbo

Ramblerturbo
    from Montana

When I was in high school back in the late nineties, a few of us would pile into my Grand Am on the weekends, cruise aimlessly, stop in deserted parking lots and bs with other cruisers. I think a lot of small factors did it in. Social networks, road rage, gas prices, no pride in the car, one or two careless people doing dumb stuff, etc. Everything just kind of stacked up. Also, newer cars are a lot less engaging to drive. They're nothing you really want to spent any amount of time in. Sigh.

14. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

Did anyone on the H.A.M.B. cruise Denver duing the mid to late 70's? Those were the days. Start at 7:30 and you left at 1:00 or 2:00 with a girl or a new number. Packed one-way three lane streets all summer.

15. lucky ink

lucky ink

I think it's all where you live lol..OHIO seems to have had crusin spots for years they usually get to large and have to relocate after year or to. but word travels fast lol..

16. Well Said:cool:

17. It was more fun when we were fighting about it. ;)

Young whippersnappers blah, blah. . . Old farts, blah blah. . .

Actually I am cruising right now, I only come to the HAMB to pick up chicks, fight, and find the occaisional bench race. :D:D

I, like you buddy, I can't believe this thread is still around.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  18. chubbie

chubbie

'60-70's era our small town was full of kids after the "game" or the show got out. sitting in groups or some walking the strip. we would cruise the park and there were "groups" hanging out there too. drive ins were doing a good business after the game as every one wanted a hamburger and coke after the game.

the jocks, and the motor heads, the smokers, all cruising! very few problems!!

I've been thru these same towns, and the street light is flashing.....there is NO ONE on the street!

19. chopperfugger

chopperfugger
    from austin

Here's a thought -

During LSR in Austin Congress was totally jammed with lookey -loos
    in their SUV's toting families along to see the hot-rods. THEY created a traffic jam.
    They are out cruising but they are invisible cause they look like traffic. So cruising
    is frowned on because 'OMG did you see those evil hot-rodders?' It used to be all those folks were home watching Ed Sullivan and Dean Martin.

20. Here in Reno I'm looking foward to H.A.N. in August. Over 5,000 cars will be cruising the streets of Reno Sparks..I don't do the shows during that week, just cruise, Don't like competing with the $100,000+ trailer queens.

The week before there will be the Rebel Reunion Show & Cruise also in Reno. Best part about their show is all the Trailer Queens will be put in one class by themselves so the do it yourself builders can be judged for what they worked hard on to build.:cool:

21. Amp713

Amp713
    from Utah

I live in utah! when is this?!?! sounds like a good time!!!

22. genosslk

genosslk

I've seen it go away by idiots doing burnouts and speeding on public streets of the cruise with spectators on the sides.... Simply a liability issue and dangerous..... so.... No permits are issued to protect all involved just because of a few morons....

23. Amp713

Amp713
    from Utah

Ill be in alaska... that sucks....

24. junkjunky

junkjunky

Maybe it is because we are all setting in front of this computer !

25. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

"ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA".........sad to see it gone.

26. Rebel Reunion July 28th july 31st A&W 900 E. Plumb Lane Reno,Nv

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The problem is that morons out number the responsible folks. You can't trash a parking lot, burn rubber, play loud music and harass passer-bys and not expect to draw a bad vibe. The places who have successful cruises are the ones that behave.

And why is it called a "cruise" if everybody is in a parking lot, sitting in lawn chairs, next to thier cars?:confused: That's a "show and shine". Get your buds together and drive up and down a stretch of road of your choosing. THAT'S a "cruise". In Houston, back in the day, the law didn't stop you for driving/aka cruising, they stopped people from jamming up parking lots and raising hell. It's the same today. You get a large group in a parking lot and it's gonna invite the idiots and then the law. IMO

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

29. Now at 60 I still cruise here in Reno. I do more Cruising (driving) now than sitting. People still looking at my ride, & getting the thumbs up. No longer doing burnouts, now just hearing the sweet sound of pipes as I cruise on down the road low & slow.

Cruising has not died, just getting better with age.

30. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

There are alot of idiots out there,but anyways we cruise all the time around where i live