Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can anyone identify this 3x2 intake manifold ?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hard Luck, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

I've had this intake for a while, so long that I don't even remember where the hell I got it from.

It's a small block Chevy intake, obviously, but what isn't obvious is who made it. Does anyone have any idea who made it, or where it might have come from ? It takes the small base Rochester 2g carbs.

The fact that it doesn't have the holes drilled where the heater outlet/temp sending unit goes or the oil fill hole, and the fact that it doesn't have water cross-over passages has me thrown off. Then there's the ends of the front of the intake that looks to have been ground on for clearance for something.

It doesn't look to have had any name ground off of it, so I don't know what to think on that either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this picture, it looks like someone ground on the side of the intake, but for what, I don't know.
    [​IMG]

-Aaron

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Looks like an unfinished Fenton to me. The topside has the same contours as mine.

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Maybe off of a "W" motor.

4. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

Now that I am looking at it closer, I am almost positive this is a Fenton. Also, what looked like, at first glance, the water outlets that had not been drilled.....someone welded the holes up in the water outlets and milled/ground them down, and it looks like they epoxied a plug in the oil fill hole and milled/ground the top flat as well.

Holy crap ! Thanks a ton !! It's a damn shame that someone ground all the damn identifiers off of this intake.

-Aaron

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Looks like it has water passage cross over in front to me...................

6. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

It does in the front, but the passages under the center carb look to have been welded/epoxied and then ground down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anyone think that this thing may have had all this work done on it and put on a boat engine at some point ? Does that even sound logical ? I mean, if it were on a boat engine, it wouldn't need the water cross-over under the center carb for fuel mileage purposes, and the two ports on the top of the intake wouldn't be needed for a heater hose or water temp sending unit. They could have put the water temp sending unit in the cylinder head, correct ?

I guess maybe it could have been on a dedicated drag car as well, but the water temp sending unit gets a better reading at the top of the intake, doesn't it ?

I don't know. Just really strange that someone would go to all that work to shave everything off and fill all the holes.

-Aaron

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That;s an exhaust hear riser under the center carb, I think. Lots of people block them off, or they come pluged and you drill them if you want exhaust heat to the intake. I don't.

8. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

Ah yeah, you're correct.

So, regardless of the stuff being ground off, this is not a common intake manifold, right ? I don't know if it's worth anything though, since it's not obviously identifiable as a Fenton intake, other than it being an old tri-power manifold.

-Aaron

9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It's a common manifold that has been modified for what ever reason. I am on the hunt for a SBC tri power manifold and this one would be worth less than a non modified one to me and maybe others.......................

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

My Fenton had 2 "stands?" only on the pass side runners. The old Eelco hexagonal fuel logs laid perfectly on them. I'm guessing that that was their purpose. I've never seen them on other intakes.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Hot rodders do strange things. I've learned not to be surprised about it any more.

If it was in the hands of a typical gearhead, he'd want to block the heat passage because we all know that race cars have blocked heat passages. And the show car guys all get rid of extra holes and names and stuff to make parts look better. But then when you go to install it on the car, you have to grind certain areas for clearance, because you didn't plan it all out well ahead of time.

Yeah, it's a shame, but at the same time it's a good traditional hot rodding history lesson.

12. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

nope...348 and 409 have bolt holes in the flange between the intake ports - the main visual identifier for comparison

13. Hard Luck

Hard Luck

Yeah, you can tell where someone ground those "stands" for the fuel log off.

Very well put.

Yeah, this is very obviously a small block Chevy intake.

-Aaron

14. The 348 intakes are also iron.

15. jipp

jipp

there was a build where the guy ground off the name off the manifold cause he did not want to give them free advertisement.. so yeah hotrodders can and do interesting things.. i kind of like having the name of the speed part.. says you are proud of the quality. but more important helps me remember what the hell i have on there.. when you need to replace something.. laughs :D

chris.