Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you chop this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. While Mr. Berky has quite the eye for chops on this body, if it were mine, I'd leave the top as is.

2. I'd say it looks pretty damn nice as is. But, as has been said already, you're the only one who can answer that question. It's what you like that's right!

3. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

I have been debating the same with my 50...I have pretty much decided that I want to keep the car, and that I want a chopped car. So its getting chopped. If you're on the fence and/or really like it as is, then keep it like it is. But if you want a chopped car, do it right and enjoy!

4. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I have 4 inch blocks and a mustang II front end... Not a whole lot more can be done without bags (which I refuse to do, gotta have trunk space!) and channeling and what not. She's already too low for some and low enough for me.

5. Redbuddy

Redbuddy
    from Cordova al

I had one somebody else chopped.it was bad around the back window.I mean bad!!!

6. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

She's runnin a nice 327 with a Nova rear end, I'd say she's a fine hot rod... Plus people chop hot rods all the time. I just made my name before I knew what I was gonna do with her. Oh well.

7. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Man, thats a funny coincidence! I am running a Fatman front end and Waltons springs with a 3" lowering block (about 5" total) and I dont want to bag it either. It is where it is!

8. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

It looks good as is, but you already know that. If you wanna chop it do it. Dont look back . If its a mistake , oh well sometimes its the jorney not the destination! ( Remember that if it turns out badly):D

9. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Thank you! Just the kind of advice I was looking for!

10. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Thanks for all the opinions everyone! Boy, that feels funny to say! :D I eventually wanna get around to choppin her TASTEFULLY. No more than Moonglow or Jesse James' Chevy probably. I'm still having fun tweaking this and that, but after almost 10 years with her, I want it chopped more and more...! I don't plan on rushing anything. I want to do it right and I DON'T want to lose the wrap around window, because I dig them, but unless I can see a way to do it with the stock glass sunk in correctly, I'd go with Lexan. Plexi worked for Moonglow and I'm NEVER going to be better than Moonglow! Just more research and food for thought. Thanks, guys!

11. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Tough question, depends on what your plans are....just chopping it as is Id say No. it looks great now. If your going to lower the car to look correct with the chop,wheels, paint, etc and a nice clean chop is in store then def Chop It!!

12. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

13. VonKool13

VonKool13

I say no chop, put a built motor in it, no hood, chrome reverse w/WWW and a candy paint job.

14. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Im using a tinted lexan that I cut and heated in a powdercoat oven then molded inside a stock glass to get the turned side correct. I really dig the wrapped rear glass on chopped chevs when done rite!

[​IMG]

15. 53Hattie

53Hattie

To quote Gary Cooper, "Nope!".

16. clinthull

clinthull

17. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

I say leave the top origonal!

18. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

To chop, or not to chop, that is the question. Go with your gut feeling & what you like. I hate it when people come up to my cars and tell me what they don't like about them. Keep it to yourself! Don't worry about what others think. If we all did, there would be no hotrods out there!

19. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

if it was mine i'd leave it alone, since its not go ahead and chop it

20. skoh73

skoh73

I say no. Looks great as is.

21. Sure....Chop it just like everybody else in the last ten years has done. Seriously, the only guys to have a "different" car in the next ten years will be those who excercised some self control and thought of "original" customizing ideas.....Chopped cars are becoming so common that they don't gather attention anymore. Your car...do with it what you like. You want a "Traditional" look? Look back over 10 years and you'll see how few chopped cars there actually were. They were absolutely in the minority and that's what made them interesting. Today, everybody chops them, and they are now ordinary.....Centurion9

22. DRAGULA54

DRAGULA54

I say leave it and roll it unless you wanna go all out and make a full kustom.

23. milo1303s

milo1303s

24. recks

recks
    from oceanside

If it can be done well and proportional, I say chop it. Otherwise...I say fill that front tire up a bit and go drive the piss out of it!

25. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, at this point you'd be more of a stand out leaving it unchopped. This coming from a guy with a chopped '54. My next one will stay stock height I think..

26. DECKARD sr.

DECKARD sr.

if you really wanna chop something, buy a harley. leave the car how it is and drive the piss out of it. it looks pretty badass as is.

27. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

28. sygreaser

sygreaser
    from SO-CAL

29. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Personally I don't think sedans look as good chopped, as hardtops.
    AND they are harder to get to look right, if they are, so unless you've got "the eye" and are very proficient, in welding and fabrication, leave it alone.

30. peter johnson

peter johnson