Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 30, 2010.

1. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I've still got my first vehicle, a '63 dodge pickup that I wouldn't sell. It's patiently waiting its turn at a rebuild.
    And while I really didn't plan on it being such a keeper, I think I can say that the '46 in my avatar won't be sold because of the memories I've made in it with my little girl. I bought it when she was just two, and barely talking. The old truck has been named Rusty and is now a member of the family, mainly because of our routine. I've saw too many dads tell me that they wish that they had enjoyed and treasured the time with their children when they were small. I made myself a promise that if I ever had children, I'd be sure there was no room for regret when they grew up. When my wife had my daughter in 06, the young'un became my best friend, riding in the hotrod of the moment from the time she was a week old. For the past few years, my days off are referred to as "Daddy and Chey" days. When I bought Rusty two years later, she fell in love with him.
    On every Daddy and Chey day , we start the morning by taking "Rusty" down the road about half a mile to the old general store that's been in business for a hundred years. (It still has the old tongue and groove ceiling and worn wooden floor, with a wood stove in the middle of it- and no, it's not a tourist trap, it's just the store time forgot. :D) We get a couple of the little glass bottles of Dr. Pepper and a Hershey's bar, and go ride around about ten miles of dirt roads with the windows down. If for some reason I think I'm too busy, she'll remind me, no matter what the weather.
    When she snuggles up to me and tells me "Daddy, you're my best buddy" everything in the world is right and I'm the luckiest man alive. I'll never forget these memories and I hope she doesn't. I intend to keep Rusty and hopefully pass it along to her and her kids, if this old world holds together that long. Everytime I get in that truck, all the rides that we took will be right there with me, even when my little pigtailed princess is all grown up and I become the dumbest man ever... No way to put a price on a truck that made all these memories possible. As an added bonus, I've got pics of my dad with me, her and Rusty. He's truly a member of the family.

2. I'm 42 and still have the 54 Ford tudor that I bought as a junior in high school.

I drove it in high school, while I was in the military, in college, proposed to my wife in it, and drove away from our wedding in it 17 years ago.

It's not going anywhere.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  3. I have a 65 Mustang that my dad bought my mom right before I was born. I grew up in the car and then it became mine. My three kids grew up in the car as well. I can honestly vouch that three car seats can fit in the back seat.
    As for a Hamb friendly car, my family is a racing family. We have a 1955 Chev 210 post that my grandpa, dad, and uncles used to race. And then myself when I became of age. Still in the family, but no longer set up for the drag strip as grandpa put it back to street duty. Funny part is, still running the tunnel ram 283 for the street.

4. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

I have two for sure.

One is the Edsel in my avatar, which my dad gave me for Christmas in 1980 when I was 17 yrs. old.

The other is an OT 67 Camaro that my maternal grandpa bought from my dad back in the mid 70's. My uncle (Grandpa's youngest child) the got it a couple years later and had it until his death in 1983. My dad then bought it back from Grandpa and was stored away until I got it from him in the fall of 2008.

5. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thanks again for the continued heart warming stories of special rides that have become a part of the family.

To keep them alive and even put them back on the street after their turn on the strip being raced by Grandpa is really touching.

No one can say the Hamb doesn't have a lot of heart, because I'm seeing it here................

6. skull

skull

the 1948 dodge truck that my and and l were building for his first vehicle.

l started it for me in 1995 when he was 9 years old. he helped me work on it for a year or so. then one day he said he would like to have it when he was old enough to drive. l told him it would be his at 16 and he could learn to drive in it.

two weeks before his 16 birthday, he drowned. l put the truck in storage and could not even think obout working on it with-out him.

a year ago my friends told me to sell it or get it running and they said to that l was not honoring my son's memory by not doing something with it.

one year later it's on the road:D

1969 large journal 327 chevy, 200R4 and a 1973 12 bolt camaro 3:36 posi.

Later:cool:

Attached Files:

7. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thank you so much for keeping that special project going.

Cool to see pics of how it was meant to be.......

8. smalljaws

smalljaws
    from corbin ky

My 1941 chevy coupe my grandfather bought it new he passed it to my dad and he passed it to my older brother who sold it to me when i was 15 i learned to drive it that car,drag race,drink beer,smoke dope,party time, i drove it until 1968 when i was drafted into the army & went to Vietnam. Came home put my coupe in the garage & worked on it off & on thru out the years & finished it 3 years ago, is it for sale no fucking way will pass it on to my son.

9. I see the pics did not take. Lets try this again. The families 55.

Attached Files:

10. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

I've had lots of people ask if I'd sell the coupe that dad built. My simple answer, "You don't have enough money. Sorry, it's not for sale." ;)

11. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

My avitar........

12. jipp

jipp

not yet, still looking :)
    chris.

13. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I have one that can not be bought......It is part of my family, My wife and I have agreed that if things get real bad! and we our forced to leave our home....We will take it with us to the trailer park or whatever we have to live in...LOL....I have others that are not forsale as well, and the reason they are not forsale is in order to buy them you would have to want them more than I do...and I can not imagine anyone else being that crazy.....I may be differn't than some people, As I just do not care that much about money....Money is just a trading tool to be used to get what you want...The money itself has no real value....and having money does not make me feel good....But having my hot rods and stuff does....I have buddys who spend a few years of their life building the car of their dreams, Only to sell it when it is finished, sure they make a little bit of a profit, But they no longer have their dream car, All they have is a pocket full of money...F**K That!!....If you break down their profit over the 2 or 3 years they spent building the car, They did not make shit!...One thing I already Know at this point in my life.....I am not going to die with a bunch of money in the bank for my kids to fight over and go out and spend within a week.....I plan to die with about 33 cents in my savings account and all the 32 fords, model A,s etc that my barn and garage will hold!...LOL

14. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Years ago I would have answered "my 33" I've owned over it 2/3 of my life and 1/2 of it life since Henry built it... and it seems like family but doesn't get any attention... I even gave to my oldest son to drive since I haven't been and he called the other day asking me to take it home since since he hasn't used it only a couple times... I enjoy the projects more than the finished car... yet I've kept it almost 39 years... keeping it or letting it go isn't always about the cash... some passions grow old just like we do... even if its gone the memories will last a life time... I remember finding every part and visualizing it done... isn't that what the hobby is about

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its shared some good company at shows...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shared a few memories with my kids and my Dad who always just tolerated it didn't mind being in the Football HOF Parade

[​IMG]

15. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

My 57 isn't going anywhere. It'll be my kids one day. Been in the family since
    new and abused many times in the 1/4 mile. It's a driver now and I love it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  16. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

^^^^^^ ill take it!!! ^^^^^ wow! THAT 33 is BAD A$$!

17. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

This ones a keeper :D.

Attached Files:

18. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I think your right...I think you will keep that one forever....As I can't imagine anyone that would buy a piece of $#!^ like that.....LOL

19. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

This is my keeper.[​IMG]

20. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

That's a sweet little A.

21. 2 of em, Dad's 29 leather back he restored in '62 when he was 14 years old and his red '67 GS 400 4 speed he raced in the '60's.

Attached Files:

22. A very interesting thread and some awesome stories of personal reasons why a certain vehicle will always stay in the family. My '23 T may have a fibreglass body but I have owned it for a short 6 years now and stripped it down to the last bolt and nut for a major rebuild which included taking it from a '80's look back to a '60's type of Bucket. I have been unable to work for the past 2 years due to health problems and have struggled financially but the T still sits out in the garage patiently waiting for me to return to work and earn money to be able to continue work on her. So,yes,even for a stupid amount of money,it is not for sale.

Attached Files:

23. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i have 2 that are never ever for for sale,1st is my chop. my wife threatened to divorce my ass when i suggested selling it years ago when we got behind on our mortgage, i have turned down some damn good cash for it.
    2nd is my grandmother Hudson[my30 year love affair] there is a reason it been my grandpa's shop since 1958?,a year after she passed from cancer.

Attached Files:

24. bless you brother

25. This is an excellent post. I don't know that I can add anything to it.

Well said.

26. hotdamn

hotdamn

I will sell you anything but my glock and my old lady...

the build is half of the fun;)

oh now that said, somethings that I have an attachment to would take a chunk to get but I build Customs and Hot Rods, not bugattis... I can always turn up another one.

27. 32Gnu

32Gnu

This deuce won't be sold... I made a deal with the devil... My momma!!!

[​IMG]

28. I think it would take a very persaussive individual ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) to pry this loose from me. I have had more fun with this car then i ever imagined from conception to racing it.
    Don

Attached Files:

29. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

She will never be for sale! never! And just to make sure its in my oldest daughters name now and will be in my youngest after that.
    This car has a story of its own and saved my life in more ways then I can tell.

Buzz Bomb

Attached Files:

30. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

A little off from A HAMB car but... my dad built this & I lost him in 2009. The next one to own it will be my kid. I'd live in it before I sold it.

[​IMG]