Register now to get rid of these ads!

Iron case Saginaw 3-speed, any idea where this came from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IndyHolland, Jul 18, 2011.

1. IndyHolland

IndyHolland

Im looking to ditch the 350 in my Apache in favor of a 235 I have. I called a friend to see if he had and three speeds layin around. He said he had an iron case and an aluminum case trannys for my 235. I bought the iron case, ive heard theyre pretty rare so I snatched the gear box, bell, flywheel, and clutch for $150. Part number on side case says:

GM 5 3952646 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=27556
    L152

Any help would be appreciated. Oh yeah, he has an iron case Powerglide too, mated to a big inline six, looks like a 292. He says the combo came from a '60 Impala, is that glide something I should get too?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Non aluminum case 3 speeds are not rare in my parts and the Powerglide is a joke...............depending on driving habits.

3. squirrel

squirrel

The iron case powerglide was orignally used behind the 235. That version will not fit behind the newer six, but the V8 version of the iron glide (55-62) will fit the newer six.

The trans and bellhousing shown in your pictures is from a 70s truck,as far as I can tell. Won't bolt up to the 235 with that bellhousing, and the front bearing retainer won't fit the 235 bellhousing without some work.

4. IndyHolland

IndyHolland

I failed to mention my 235 is out of a '61 C10. Bell housing pattern looks same as standard SBC.

5. Snarl

Snarl

The date code on the trans would be 1962 or 1972. If the tailshaft splines are the same as a TH350, it would be 1972.

235's do not use the same bellhousing as a V8. (the side that bolts to the engine).

194,230,250 & 292 use the V8 bellhousing.

If you really do have a 235, you will need a different bellhousing. If it is going into the truck in your avatar, then you will want to find a bell from a '54-59 235 truck.

These bells have a 4 11/16" center hole. If the 3spd you have has the 5 1/8" bearing retainer, you will need to change the retainer (maybe?), turn the OD down on the retainer (if the bolts aren't too close to the edge), or punch out the center hole on the bellhousing.

6. IndyHolland

IndyHolland

7. squirrel

squirrel

Looks like a 230 or 250, possibly a 194. Look on the side of the engine where the starter and distributor are. There should be some casting numbers, and some stamped numbers. The stamped numbers might be where the distributor fits into the block, or close to it. The cast numbers might be near the starter. Try to find both the long casting number sequence, all numbers, and the date code which is a letter followed by two to four numbers (like E 15 8). The more numbers you find and tell us about, the more likely we can figure out what it is.

Also since the trans has the 5 bolt pattern with the top bolt, my guess is that it's from 1982, as the 1972 and earlier ones did not use that style bellhousing or transmission case.

8. Snarl

Snarl

yeah, the stamped code next to the dizzy will help tell you what it is. Most Chiltons or Motors manulas have the code letters listed, otherwise post here and we can solve it.
    Some 230 and 250 used the same block casting numbers, since the crank and pistons were the only difference between them, so going by the stamped code next to the dizzy usually works better.

Didn't see the top bolt on the trans before, so yeah 1982.

Pretty sure you will need to fab or buy some aftermarket motor mounts to install that engine in a '55-59 truck...

9. IndyHolland

IndyHolland

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=27556, block casting number.

Block casting is: 3877178 C
    GM

Behind the dipstick I can read: CON2 D 21 6

I looked in the cylinder through the spark plug hole, all I see are hone marks!

Code stamped left of dizzy on block reads: F0422TA

10. squirrel

squirrel

1966 truck engine, block cast April 21 1966, assembled April 22 1966, TA is the standard pickup truck 250 used with manual trans. The bellhousing and transmission are newer than the engine.

11. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

What's wrong with the 350? I'm not a huge sbc fan,but I sure wouldn't replace it with a 235.I'd get that 292 and put it in first. I know you weren't asking for opinions,I'm just curious.

12. anteek

anteek

I've never seen an aluminum case Saginaw; what did they come in ?

13. IndyHolland

IndyHolland

I already have a quick small block in the s10. I want that six in the Apache and the three on the tree for some reason. Call me crazy. I really want to put a turbo on the six.

14. No offense but if you want to beef a 6 the 235 isn't the one you want to start with.

That said if your sag is full syncro it is a good tranny if it is just your standard non syncro 1st gear it is just another tranny. I jhaven't seen your bell housing but they are not hard to come by so if it doesn't work you can peddle it and get the correct one. the one you want will probably have ears for side mounts on it.

15. IndyHolland

IndyHolland

Read above, I have a 250 from what squirrel says.

16. oldblu65

oldblu65
    from Tennessee

My ' 65 C10 has the original 3 speed that looks similar to your tranny . It's what's called a " shorty " as the transmission length is approx. 16 " in length and has a non-synchronized 1st gear . It was hooked to the original 230 c.i. ( now a ' 67 283 ) !

17. squirrel

squirrel

The muncie 3 speed used from 55-66 was non-synchro low gear. the saginaw that IndyHolland has appears to be from 1982, it's an iron trans with an aluminum bellhousing and is full synchro.

To put that engine and trans in a 59 truck, you probably want to use the 68-72 bellhousing, which will have the large center hole to match the trans, and will bolt to the 59 crossmember. If your truck is now missing the crossmember that went under the bellhousing (they are often cut out for V8 swaps), then just use the bellhousing that's on it. The neat thing about that 250 and trans is that it will bolt in place of a 350/th350 combo, assuming you have the engine brackets that were used in the 60s trucks, and assuming the 350 setup was done with side engine mounts, and a rear trans mount.

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The bearing retainer can be swapped out to the smaller index size. Bolt patteren is the same. The upper ear on the trans can be cut off as well to fit properly on bellhousing for the 6clys.

19. IndyHolland

IndyHolland

Someone hacked a 350 into this truck, buts its all bolted in so removal wont be too bad. I have which looks to be some rigged motor mount setup from the donor truck my 350 came from, '81ish Chevy half ton/car. V8 setup in truck now uses side motor mounts and tailshaft tranny mount, just like a modern '90s setup. Old crossmember near bell housing is gone, a few inches of it are attached to frame and I have some rigged xmember, made of 5/16" flat stock and its warping. I think my six cly/three speed combo will slip in if I decide to use these hacked mounts. Ill probably have to reinforce motor area and completly redo trans crossmember. I can post pics tomorrow if wanted.