Register now to get rid of these ads!

223 vs 300 vs 302 Build Cost Comparison ...... Please weigh in.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clintonvillian, Jul 6, 2011.

1. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Guys,

I did a little cost comparison after looking at the motors and parts pretty hard. I originally stated I wanted to go different..... as of now it's turning me towards the 300.....

The 223 would be fun to build and unique but I plan on driving this thing for years to come, parts are to hard find now and I imagine will only get harder to find as the years go by, I can't justify this kind of money for this engine.

Here is the spreadsheet...... the 302 is my cheapest bet, but I'm still waivering with the 300 (it's different and one tuff sonabeach).

[​IMG]

Wonder what kind of mileage I'll get out of this truck, any chances of getting 20mpg cruising on interstate with either if these????

Let the opinions flow.

2. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

If you should lean back towards a 223 I have a complete head,cam, lifters all freshly done, one complete engine and the other with the missing parts as done, both blocks need to be built. I'd make a good deal to make them go away.
    Last time I built one it was in the 16/1800 $ range, thats why I quit using them, but I had them in an industrial use and they would get used kinda hard, I had two one to run one to build when the runner got wheezy.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The one issue with being 'different" is that it usually costs several times more than going with something considered more common especially when you are trying to achieve the same performance levels.
    All in all I would go for the 300 six if dead nuts reliability was the main factor and those still can run with the big dogs pretty well. If you build it right it will have plenty of power and last forever.
    There is a 70 something Ford 3/4 ton with one sitting in my yard that I wish someone would fall in love with.

Bang for the buck go with the 302 as there should be plenty of cast off stuff like intakes floating around to keep the cost down.

4. Huntfamily53

Huntfamily53
    from AZ

sent you a PM on some of your parts.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

6. I would do a 300. Easy build , great results.
    bore 050. use 390 Hp pistons (same pin bore more compression and exactly the same weight (how often does that happen)
    cylinder head needs screw in studs for hard use but for mild use (hi perf )would be fine with pressed studs as is. Chevy valves 2.02 , 160 fit perfect. A decent set of springs and a good hydraulic cam . Many available and Comp will make one special for you too if you like.Ie the extreme energy hydrualic series are great cams.(Have on in my rail in fact. Cost is not much different than off the shelf.
    A Four barrel intake and a set of headers of some type and your ready to go Mustang hunting. I have built these from this build to deep ten seconds in a bracket car. Even though I am not a Ford man they have my utmost respect. Power per $ absolutley phenominal.
    1 HP per cube should be as easy as falling off a log. More well within reach. It would take one heck of a 302 to match one of these well done . The head is better right out of the box . And they are a crowd gatherer. people find hot sixes interesting.
    Engine will make power to mid to hi 5000RPMwith decent duration. (240/247 # 050 would be reasonable max for street use. Lift at least .500 for me/ tis a rule here) torque will be just excellant or as Rolls Royce would say "Sufficient"
    Don

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  7. lukey

lukey

Just listed a 223 in classifieds. I pulled 23 from my 58 custom 300 with a three speed and 3.50 gears

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Go with the 300. There is a large amount of speed parts available, they are practically bullet proof, and a well built 300 will run circles around a 302, especially in a heavy truck were torque is your friend.

Good Luck.

9. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

302 v8 will get better fuel economy. cheaper to build, comes with roller lifters, and the car will have more resale value.,,,,,

read this hamb thread,,,,,

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=566463

inlines with carbs have very bad air fuel ratio control from cylinder to cylinder,,,but fuel injection fixes that problem.

10. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

if I go with a 300, it will have dual carbs..........If I go with a 223 I will either go with a cliffords intake with weber carb, or offy intake.

Im just not sure if the 223 would have enough punch for some fun now and then.....

If I go with the 302 its gonna be purely for ponies, and lots of them.......

11. I assume that you are building a 1st Gen F-100 correct?

I would lean toward the larger engines for it you will get your better mileage from either the 302 and the 300" six. The 302 may get better mileage easier than the 300 but I think you will enjoy the 300 more.

The 300 makes all of its torque at low RPM in stock form. If you decide to go high zoot with it there is factory EFI available. Not the direction I would take but it is available. Anyway getting back to my point if you decide to go the OD route you want an engine that makes its zot down low so you can take advantage of low RPM cruising.

The 302 will be the cheapest route if bang for your buckis what you are after. I would normally suggest that route but I have owned a driven the 300 and like them real well.

20MPG depsnds on how you build it and use it. it is not unheard of from either engine. But it needs to be done with a purposley built engine.

12. junkiegene

junkiegene
    from anaheim

I've run both in the same truck, 55 F-100. 300 is so much stronger, I would suggest you look at Ford Performance site. I had a lot of head work done on mine and run a auto tran C4 with 9 inch. Like some one said if your looking for MPG ya got to build it for that, other wise not so much. But always a joy to drive, have had 300 in it since 87, still as strong as ever.

13. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Well as far as gears, heres the plan....

3.73 rear
    T5 tran(.072 OD)
    assume 28" Tire

Thats spinnin the motor @ 2250 rpm at 70mph on the interstate

Any ideas as to what type of gas mileage.......

14. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

I'mnot really building for mpg's...... Im in love with the 223, gods honest truth, but the availabilty for stuff for it sucks.

So the uniqueness pushes me towards the 300, around town I don't give a crap about mileage as long ast its around 15, however I'd like to tote this dude back and forth on some cross country road trips, and am more curious as to what I can expect for mileage rather than build it have to stop every hour fill it up and think holy sheet what did i do......

15. junkiegene

junkiegene
    from anaheim

When I had 223 in mine I ran a Holly 395 carb Cliford Headers and intake. 3spd with OD, fun set up but CA gas went crappy and took out the valves. Sold it to my Brother in-law. Bout the same time my health starter to go away, So went with the auto. I run same carb on my 300, best milage I've ever gotten was close to 18. Thats with auto and 373 gears, might have been all down hill too. My trouble is keeping my foot out of it at the light.

16. jipp

jipp

i did not realize fords 6 was so strong.. will have to look into it.. im planing on building a bobtail tbucket and was looking into the slant six from mopar.. guess i should look into chevs strait six too.. just think a six in it would be neat, and get decent gas millage.
    chris.

17. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Cliffords set up with a 300 is making 418ft-lbs, 325hp's..........

The 223 is 325ft lbs, Reckon thats enough for some fun at a stop light???

18. junkiegene

junkiegene
    from anaheim

I'm not sure I can believe those numbers, but for a in-line 6 mine satisfies me.

19. clintonvillian

clintonvillian
    BANNED

Well that's from there website, they may be blowing smoke but thats what they claim.

20. I have a 223 in my '61 and a 300 in my '90 truck. The 300 is the superior engine in terms of design and has many more speed parts available. But I'm sentimental about the 223. And if reasonable care is taken, with the 3.08 rear and 3 speed + overdrive, yes, it does get 20mpg +. I like it.

Sweet little motor, and not one that you see much of these days.