Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1955 Chevy Headlights on 1949-51 Ford Shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Jul 19, 2011.

1. An old custom trick back in the day was to take the headlights and the bow from the fender of a 1955 Chevy car and stitch it to the front fenders of a 1949-51 Ford Shoebox. I've seen the pictures in old Rod and Custom mags, but does anybody have some links or pics they'd like to post to shorten my search?

2. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Attached Files:

3. That's it. That is exactly the same picture I remember. I didn't realize that on these headlights that he only used the bow around the top of the fender and fabricated a frenched headlight trim right below it. It works.

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

Looks like he also used the front fender lip from the 55.

Rich

5. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

looks droopy
    maybe they should be mounted higher in the fender

6. Blackcat333

Blackcat333

2x! I thought the same thing.

7. I agree. Think of the way how it would look higher up on the fender matching the flow of the top of the fender. Even with the original grille of the Ford, that custom touch would give the Ford a more aggressive profile but would still be subtle enough where the average passerby wouldn't have a clue that it wasn't originally that way. I like it.

8. thesupersized

thesupersized

i grafted 55 chevy fenders onto my 50 ford. I started with botched up 55 chevy fenders so that made it more difficult then it would have been if i started with nice 55 chevy fenders. Part of the reason i went with the 55 chevy's was because i love the junior conway shoebox, however if you look at the conway car, the hooded part over the headlight is thinner on the conway car (that part is hand made on the car, not from the 55 chevy fender) and on the conway car i believe the bottom of the bezel is simple screwed directly to the stock fender, i used the whole headlight surround therefore the body comes out and meets the bezel

Attached Files:

9. thesupersized

thesupersized

and those aren't 55 chevy fenders grafted on leroy goularts ford, I'd say they have a hand build "hood" over 52-54 mercury headlight rings....gotta love it

10. Your way looks way better.

11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Wow,
    Old dogs like me learn something new every day on this great forum..
    Never seen that before, but I sure like it!
    Good luck on yours.
    Cheers.............

12. anteek

anteek

On my '51 i used '55 chevy fender areas,mounted high and tapered the windsplit out before the back of the wheelwells. Had '55 plymouth wheel well lips. I wish I had kept the car.

13. I had a '55 Chevy parts car. I really wished I kept that now! :D

14. I like this one.

Attached Files:

15. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

What did you make the fins out of?

16. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

on my 50 chev, they used the 55 headlight ring, but used round rod and sheet metal to form the fender.

17. That's smart. Have you seen how much the 55 Chevy headlight fender patches are??? :eek: Unbelievable!