Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Summit rod and Custom 54 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellcat666, Jun 15, 2011.

1. hellcat666

hellcat666

It seems the projects never end around here. we are just finishing up paint on my 65 chrysler 300, and befor the paint is even dry we are wheeling in another car in much need of some help. we picked up this 54 ford 2 door hardtop this past winter on the sellers word is was a little more solid than it really was, but a little metal work never hurt anyone. the car has everything but needs everything, thats just the way we like them.
    [​IMG]

Our project officialy began this last week when i received a call from my good friend Joe Siclari ( 57joefomopar, owner of the pearl necklace) that he had gotten a lead on a 351 clevland motor and c6 trans someone was selling for a great price down in delaware where he goes to school. we packed the truck up with an engine crane and some tie downs and headed down there. the 351 wasnt out first choice for this build but it was available at a good price and will help us keep a ford in a ford rather than a SBC.
    [​IMG]
    ( joe supervising as usual haha) guess we didnt need our engine crane after all.
    we got the motor and trans loaded up and then as usual joe, myself, and john ( owner of summit rod and custom) head to ihop to stuff our faces with never ending pancakes. upon many conversations being had over a few pounds of bacon and pancakes was of course the 54 ford build. what body mods we are doing, what suspension set up, what color, and of course when is this thing going to be done. " we should try to get it done for detroit this year" i say half heartedly. "Done! Thats it, its going this year." my boss john says.
    So that is our goal now. im pretty confident we can get it done, and im pretty confident it will entail alot of late nights, alot of coffe, and alot of dedication.
    i will try to update our progress as much as possible on here so for anyone who is interested stay tuned!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can check out more of our stuff here if interested!
    http://summitrodandcustom.com
    http://http://www.facebook.com/pages/Summit-Rod-and-Custom/210397147703

2. SRC

SRC
    from New Jersey

Unearthed from the back lot with some help from the forklift; the 54 made it to pre clean and is staged in the "dirty room" for the next phase.

Attached Files:

3. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

It looks like a decent start. I'll be following this one, I hope you guys get it done in time!

4. hellcat666

hellcat666

spent a few hours on the ford this saturday before hitting the local cruise night. hopefuly be able to dedicate a few hours after we close the shop each night and start putting some big dents in the project. Anyone have any ideas on cool quarters? we have a few options we are throwing around but are always open to suggjestions.
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

5. hellcat666

hellcat666

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Spent a few hours on it after work, was able to get the motor and trans out. hopefully be able to move it into the big room at the shop and get the new motor and trans mounted up in the next few days

6. Ltorch

Ltorch

Looks like a great car to start with wish you all the luck on your new project..How about 54 packard taillights that would look good not to many with them ..and some 57 olds headlights rings.

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Nice! Car is looking good guys! Glad to hook you guys up with the Ford mill

8. SRC

SRC
    from New Jersey

Car's been moved over to the clean side of the shop. Will hopefully start to fit the motor and trans tomorrow so they can be dismantled for a rebuild. New (used) fenders on the way.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

be interested to see what you end up doing with the exhaust, and everything else

10. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Love the 52-54 fords.Looks like a killer start.

11. SRC

SRC
    from New Jersey

Moved the 351 into the engine bay w/trans. No tunnel mods needed thankfully, cross member is almost a direct fit. Will be working on motor mounts and such next.

Attached Files:

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Motor mounts are as close as O'Reilly's & Autozone over the counter, check out the 52-56 Ford Owners Social group(invitation sent) for the part numbers http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=20235 and more info (see pics on page 2).You do need a front sump oil pan and http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.php?productid=910&cat=20164538&page=1 and drill the timing cover for a front mount dipstick: http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.php?productid=1910&cat=20164554&page=1

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  13. SRC

SRC
    from New Jersey

Thanks we'll check it out

14. hellcat666

hellcat666

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Took a few hours off the ford to lay the last coats of clear and the 65 chrysler ( thankfully) and then the attention was right back on the ford, stripped the interior out and sent a few pieces to the sand blaster ( trunk, hood, wheel wells, ect) waiting on a mini starter and to finish up on the motor mounts then time to pull the body, hopefuly have it off the frame early next week.

15. Baggs

Baggs

depending on how far you are with the motor mounts, jeff is right, the ones from autozone are basically a direct bolt on, i know becuase i just installed my sbf in my 54 chassis. they completely line up with the stock motor plates on the frame

16. Good lookin ride, I'll be watching your build.

17. SRC

SRC
    from New Jersey

Body and frame have been split. Completing the rotisserie set up this am. CLean up the frame here at the shop before sending it out for blasting. We found two nice fenders to use, now waiting for some time and parts. Thanks for the feedback on parts etc. its appreciated.

Attached Files:

18. hellcat666

hellcat666

Finished up our pieces for the rotisserie finaly got the car safely on it. the car was a little worse underneath than we originaly thought but now with it on the rotisserie it shouldnt be to hard to patch everything up. its going to need inner and outer rockers on both sides, new floor braces, new driverside front floor, new driver side toe board ( wich they dont make) and new cowl to frame mount up front. sheet metal is ordered and we are awaiting some parts and time to get rollin on more. hopefuly have another update by next week.

Attached Files:

19. I love those year fords especially hardtops. Keep us posted with it.

20. SRC

SRC
    from New Jersey

Had time to gut the rest of the interior, trim and glass today. Frame should be ready next week. 80/20 that we will bag it, just not 100% sure yet. Main tub out the door next for blasting. Still working out some ideas for the body but we have a pretty solid plan once the metal work begins.

Happy 4th

21. my first HAMB friendly car was a 54 Vicky. man I wish I could have that car back! can't wait to see it done.

22. SRC

SRC
    from New Jersey

Loaded the shell today to deliver to the blaster, looking forward to getting the frame back. In the interim we can get the hood and trunk straight.

Attached Files:

23. hellcat666

hellcat666

Frame has been back for a few days now, have our "summer help" ( our slave haha) scrapeing the rest of the gunk off it the blaster couldnt get, should have it in prime and paint in the next few days. spoke to the blaster today, he was getting to work on the body hopeing to have it back by fridaY.

Attached Files:

24. 46mopar

46mopar

Missing your old 54??? Looks like this one is going to be an upgrade. Good luck and keep posting updates.

25. hellcat666

hellcat666

JOHN OLD BUDDY! hows things going? haha yea i do miss that thing, this one is a slight upgrade. what have you been up to you still have that ford you traded my old one for?

26. 46mopar

46mopar

Been working like crazy. I sold the brown 54 last fall . There is only late model GM stuff in my garage. I'm not sure how that happened. Im on the look out for a new project to do this winter.

27. hellcat666

hellcat666

got the body back from blasting, took a few hours and tryed to blow all the sand out. i have a feeling we will be finding sand in places for the next 3 years. pulled it into the booth and shot a coat of etching prime on it just to keep it from flash rusting while we work with it. guna need driver side floor, cowl mount on the driver side, all new body braces/mounts, spare tire well, inner and outer rockers, quarters..you name it, it needs it. still on the hunt for quarters, if anyone knows of any solid 54 mercs being cut up for parts let me know id like to get the quarters off it.

Attached Files:

28. hellcat666

hellcat666

slight change of plans, we finaly got our hands on a 390 caddy motor, needless to say that is prolly the better choice over the 351. now if i can only convince john to run a 4 speed we would realy be in business. what does everyone think? 4 speed or keep it Automatic with the caddy mill?

29. jfrolka

jfrolka

30. If you use a mustang gastank, it eliminates most of the trunk floor, as well as nets you a trunk mounted filler neck. Just an idea!