Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A . . . for a tall guy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brother Hesekiel, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Brother Hesekiel

Brother Hesekiel

I'm new to pre-war Fords and only once had an opportunity to sit in one and drive it--kind of-- as it was a Shay A Roadster. While I could drive it okay, it was pretty darn uncomfortable after a while. Did I mention that I'm 6'6" tall with long legs?

So I'm wondering . . . is there a particular Model A that would have more interior space? More to the point: is a pickup or roadster smaller inside than a Coupe? Is the seat in the Coupe already all the way back or can a little fabrication get a tall guy more legroom?

I understand that a Tudor or . . . gasp . . . Fordor should give me all the legroom I need, but they are not really . . . um . . . sexy enough.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. If you want some form of comfort, a Tudor would be in you future. I am 6'5, 320lbs. My a coupe was chopped 4 1/2 with stock seats and it wasn't too bad, but I have a high tolerance for pain and discomfort.

3. X2 on the tudor - and drive it from the back seat. LOL

The Model A trucks and coupes are pretty tiny.

4. My brother sat in a bitchin black chopped model A coupe at Austin Speed Shop during their Friday night party at LSRU, I believe it was one of Rooman's buddies. My brother is about 6'4" and about 225lbs. He told me he had plenty of room considering how small the car is. I'm 6'5" 320lbs...I'm probably better off in my '55 hahah

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

5. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I had a friend ride in my coupe the other day, I would guess he is at least 6'3" and a good 260 lbs. He fit in the coupe but just.... but our coupe is chopped at least 6 plus inches. I would guess his head cleared the wood cross section by only about half an inch and that is with the seat built into the floor on our car. The way our interior is done, there is still about six inches behind the seat to the rear wall, so if you are willing to not have a factory style seat or interior I would think it could be done.

6. Dchaz

Dchaz

Might consider a tall t. Extra head room is always nice. I'm 6'2" 250 and have a good 6-7" of head room using the stock seat pan in my TT. I also have has a couple unchopped 26-27 coupes and have had extra room in them too.

7. A truck cab is smaller than a coupe......

and in a coupe you can remove the package tray and gain another 5 inches or so further back for the seat....

8. if you want a roadster look at glassic replica's. damn ugly stock but can be converted nicely. extra leg room built in.

9. There are things that you can do to give yourself more room. Metal shapes has a unibody coupe for instance that has plenty of room.

I thionk that there is more leg room in a coupe than a roadster but the closed cab pickup has not room at all about as much as a roadster.

I cannot imagine how the big fellas get comfortabel in an A bone myself. I am 5'11" (maybe 5'10") about 180 and they are just about my size.

I thnk part of the reason that bomber seats have become popular is that they offer more room than a standard bench.

10. this is after a little customising

Attached Files:

11. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Im 6'5" 300ish.... im gonna say it depends on way to may factors to say if you'll fit or not. Chopped / channeled/ three pedal or two? steering wheel diameter how uncomfortable your willing to be, and for how long. yada yada yada....
    the more chopped / chanelled you go... the longer the interior room needs to be..

12. TinFabricator

TinFabricator
    from Sweden

Im 6.6 to and have no problems driving my coupe. Its not yet chopped but still stock seat, so there lots to be done if you wanting to drop it.
    I have removed the package tray and pushed back the seat.
    So go for it:)

13. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Like Hitchhiker said!

Im 6' 5"

I built my 31 coupe. Its has a 4" channel and 2" chop. I had to remove the packing tray. Made my own bench seat which is mini version of the model a. My butt is only 3" off the floor. The top corners of the seat recess into the inside interior panels. Its comfortable but long road trips test me. If you over 55 it would be a bit much.....ha ha.

Attached Files:

14. xlr8er

xlr8er

I'm 6' 6", I have a 36" inseam and tip the scales at about 250. I'm also building a coupe (1930) Take a look at my album documenting the build thus far. The car is chopped 2". We did a little field research and found that any more of a chop would not work for me. I can look right out the center of the windshield with the 2" chop. Further reasearch revealed that because of my long legs, my car will be an automatic on the column. A shifter (stick or auto) would come up through the floor right where my leg will naturally fall. During the build, we removed the package tray (gained about 3"). It wasn't enough. I also did NOT recess the firewall. I was able to fit the engine by running a 32 frame (4" longer than an A). This helped me a LOT and as a result, I can fit pretty nicely. Review my album and feel free to contact me with any questions you might have. I certainly don't know it all but I might be able to help since we have similar challenges with regards to these tiny little cars!! Best of luck!!

brut4s likes this.
  15. metalshapes

metalshapes

16. A fellow club member is 6-8 and building an A coupe. No channel or chop for him.

17. Rod Ari

Rod Ari
    from Finland

It´s about the attitude:D or something. I´m 6 and 6 too but my girly weight is only a bit over 200 lbs. I have -29 coupe as a daily driver. its chopped 4" and channeled 4" too. I´m not cramped even after 250 miles drive. I think it´s actually all about planning: where to install driving wheel and pedals. I literally sit on floor and my back is against back wall of car´s body when driving. I have on an automatic transmisson on that car too- I have big feet. I have 4" channeled -29 Roadster with manual gear box- It´s a bit uncomfortable. My unchopped unchanneled -29 pick up with sporty clutch is the worst of those. I hope I don´t get fat and stiff ever:rolleyes:. If I was clever I would sell those two and buy some larger project but those are part of me...

Ari

18. RAY With

RAY With

6 foot 200 lb and a factory stock 29 Roadster and I have to stand up to get in the front seat due to the big steering wheel but once in I am more than comftorable. 6.6 would be pushing it in my estimation as to comfort.

19. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I'm 6'6" and all legs. I drive a chopped '31 roadster most days, lowered the seat pan 2" and scooted it back 5" or so, removed the little package tray and took the seat springs out of the seat back. Not a like sitting in a la-z-boy or anything but pretty comfy.

[​IMG]

Bullington likes this.
  20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

whats not sexy enough about a Tudor?

21. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

I'm 6-3 and the roadster is a TIGHT fit! I would go for the Tudor as well. Miss my '32 Sedan everyday

22. rainh8r

rainh8r

The real key is firewall position and seat placement. The seat can go back a long way once the package tray is gone, and leave the firewall as stock as possible. 26-7 T coupes seem to have a lot of room too, once the package tray is removed. You're just out of luck with a truck, though-they're really small inside. When you're tall and dealing with old, square, cars, figure out the seating early and build around that.

23. millersgarage

millersgarage

I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs. Chopped 3", removed package shelf, and I have enough head room to wear a hat. 1928 coupe.
    It's got lots of headroom, it's a bit tight at the hips though.

24. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I am a 6'3 250 lb monkey. Here I am in a unchanneled 4" chopped Coupe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. mason-d

mason-d
    from san diego

they arent everyones cup of tea but i have a phaeton that I just moved the seat back about 10 inches so I had enough leg room. I am 6'3'' about 220. Its actually a pretty nice fit and there is the perfect amount of room in the back for a gas tank, battery and some storage.

26. rotenjon

rotenjon

I'm 6' 230# and i fit fine in my stock 27 T coupe, i also have a 27 Tudor with a 4" chop unchanneled with A front seats and and 18" wheel and still fit fine. And why is'nt a Tudor sexy??:cool:

27. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

My Dad is 6' 9" and drives a stockish '30 Coupe. He moved the seat back a little - kept the package tray - and bent the gearshift lever to his liking. I am 6' 3" and have a '30 tudor and I love it, put the front seats anywhere I want and still room for two adults in the back.

Trucks are definitely a no-go, roadsters should work if you can put the seat where you want it. '30-31s seem to work well for tall guys, I think the doors are a little taller and you don't feel like you are sticking out of it.

Will Kimble

28. 117harv

117harv

We have a winner, perfectly stated from the first word to the last:)

29. Exactly......
    this is mine under construction..... it turns me on.... .:p

[​IMG]