Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bd220 motor help new wires dont know the order

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by my 57 international, Jul 6, 2011.

1. my 57 international

my 57 international
    from 45011

I have bought new wires and I dont know the fireing order on the distrubtor cap or do I knowif the no.1 pistion is in the front of the motor or back.

2. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

So what, now we have to guess whether you're workin' on a tractor, a Cadillac, an airplane or your lawnmower? DD

3. A BD220 is the engine designation for an International. It's a 6 cylinder.

BloodyKnuckles

4. F&J

F&J

No problem, the motor will tell you the order :)

Pull number 1 plug out, stick finger in hole, roll the motor crank pulley clockwise until you feel the compression. Now look at the timing mark and get it lined up perfect.

Now the rotor is pointing at number 1 wire.

If nobody posts the firing order here, you can pull the valve cover and as you keep rolling the motor clockwise slowly, the next intake valve that starts to open is the next wire to put in the cap. (see which way the rotor turns to tell which side of the number one wire, that you need to place that wire. Keep doing this, and you are done.

How to tell which is an intake valve; these should line up with the intake port, not the exhaust port.

5. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Geez, sorry! Don't know how I could have forgotten THAT! DD

6. I stole this info from John Donnelly from the Binder Planet.

"Years of distributors being pulled in and out can and will result in your #1 not necessarily being in the same place as someone else's.

The firing order is cast into the intake manifold. If you follow that sequence of numbers, you will get the firing order right.

Start by placing the engine at TDC, and then remove the distributor cap to see where the rotor is pointing. Wherever the contact on the rotor is at that time will be #1.

Place that wire on, then the others following the firing order sequence cast in the intake.

The cylinders are numbered front-to-back with the front cylinder being #1.

Let us know how it comes out."

BloodyKnuckles

7. Now you know.

BloodyKnuckles

8. terryble

terryble
    from canada

9. terryble, I got you on the hole-shot :rolleyes:

10. my 57 international

my 57 international
    from 45011

Thank's everyone I put the distrubtor in backwards and burned up a condencer and points.

11. 72IH

72IH

U put the end with the cap and rotor in the block????????? :)

Binder Planet has a tremendous amount of know ledge on these things.