Register now to get rid of these ads!

Twin turbo V8?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Aug 9, 2006.

1. 58Chev

58Chev

2. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

this forum is about cars older than 1964 thats why people care.

3. Scotch

Scotch

Blow-throughs are a tricky deal to set up. The carb can be adjusted to run well on vacuum or boost, but not both. The Mustang drag race guys are setting theirs up to run on boost, so they would run badly at low rpm (vacuum).

The reason there's been a huge return to twin turbos (with 'crate' TT packages being offered by Banks, Nelson, and others) is the onset of EFI. Computer controlled injection makes it possible to have the best of both worlds.

I'd never run a blow-through deal. Draw-throughs are better, if a carb is the only option. EFI is truly the way to go for the best-possible manners both on the boost and off.

~Scotch~

4. slim53

slim53

I got a book with a willys gasser with a twin turbo set up. It looked really trick as the intake was a modified factory fuelie set-up on a small block.......slim

5. xr van

xr van

well check out the olds jetfire and you will see turbos have their place in that era. you oldies always think that things have to stay the same way becuase thats how they always were. If young blokes back then didn't push the boundies your prescious hotrodding wouldnt be what it is today.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

BC, I just got my issue. Very interesting. But I got the impression this was a fairly low buck build, comparitively speaking, considering the starting point and the number of stock parts that can evidently take the strain. Gary

7. newrider3

newrider3

Somehow I think these are two completely different builds, as this thread is from 2006.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Duh. I just feel so.. regardless, the NEW Hot Rod has this cool article on twin blowers on a CRATE motor that's just amazing. Gary

9. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

10. Fighting words there young fella.
    I take it that you are not a hot rodder as you said YOUR and not OUR.....:eek:

11. ScottV

ScottV

I like turbos, turbos make me money so I am biased !!!

[​IMG]

12. newrider3

newrider3

It was a pretty entertaining and slightly informative series of articles.
    Though I would be more interested in seeing a test of the durability of those Ebay turbos than the test of the stock LS mill they just ran.

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

You brought up a 5 year old thread just to start shit? That doesn't fly well here. As far as hotrodding today, I'm sure everyone has their opinion of what it is but this website is more about hot rods back then.

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The July '64 Hot Rod has a feature on a turbocharged, dual-quad 392 Hemi... installed in a stock looking '55 Tbird. Article is titled 'Little Red Riding Hood' and claims 800hp in street trim. Says 1000+ is possible with alcohol and injection. Not shabby.

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I have that issue somewhere, it's bitchin!

16. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

NICE! I'm going to be running twin turbos on a 69 dodge 383 in my 50 fleetline

17. Stone

Stone

I can't tell you how many times I have searched trying to find this thread. I have wanted to try and find more pictures and info on that twin turbo flattie.

Does anyone have any more info?

18. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

Now that's good stuff!

19. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Check out Nelson Racing Engines, the videos are insane...these guys are really nuts!

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I have an old Muslcecar magazine where it documents 2 x AC cobras receiving twin Paxtons on a 427 FEs :eek: A lot of motor in a little car.

21. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

22. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

Wonder what kind of power it made? This month in Hot Rod they did a flathead buildup test using different manifolds. I think the modt they got on 284 ci was just under 200HP.