Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A barn find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nickk, Jul 17, 2011.

1. nickk

nickk

I recently met a guy that came up to our family welding shop. while me and my uncle was having what we call hot rod talk, this guy mentioned he had a banjo for sale, but i told him i currently have plenty of those but no Model A body, and he replied saying he knows a fella that has two rusty bodies that he may sale for cheap and that he'd take me to look at them, welp a few days after he drove me to this guys house, and right away im seeing stock A's, 1 to the left 1 to my right, right away i was liking this. but my buddy told me not to talk about chopping them or hot rodding them because the older guy didnt like that which was find because I want a damn near stock one. well we walked to the back and looked at the bodies, one 28 sedan and one 30/31 4 dr. when i came back i asked the guy what he'd take for the the 28, he didnt reply with a price, he asked what i wanted to do with it. i figured this guy was nice enough to let me go look so id be honest, i told him i want a Stock A with juice brakes, and a y-block or flathead v8. he smiled and said i got what you need. so i started following him into the back of a old barn/storage shed, we passed yet another model A, this time a 5 window coupe rumble seat car then to the back on another barn where a 1930 5 window coupe sat. he said til recently he hasnt ever wanted to sell it. but he said 6k would buy it, i told him if i had the money id buy it, but me personally at 20 yrs old i have never had 6k, but he said its alright because im gonna let you pay payments and work with me. I could only smile and agree. but tomorrow he comes home from vacation and im getting it. so im still shock and excited about tomorrow, i last talked to him the other day and he told me all the stories and history behind it, and thats half of what i love about the car, it makes any of car 50 percent better to have its history but anyways this car has been parked since 1960, thats a pretty good barn find i think

http://i51.tinypic.com/2qx3uk7.jpg

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You're a lucky guy!

3. Ohio Rodder

Ohio Rodder

That's great!
    I am allways amazed at what is still out there!

4. mndodge

mndodge

Way to go, nothing like a fresh car for your project!!!

5. nickk

nickk

im sooooo stoked, and agree that im lucky, but ive been wanting one since i saw my uncles 31 coupe when i was 8 yrs old, but only til now have I've been smart enough and able to afford something like this. im excited to build/restore it and in the end i hope the guy im getting this from will be proud of what im gonna do with it

6. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

I didn't get "smart enough" until..... wait a minute, I'm still working on that.
    Nice starter car though!

7. Take some pictures when you go get the car. Sounds like you got a good score.

8. sonofamitch

sonofamitch

its good to know there are still places like this that give us hot rodders hope

9. 55olds88

55olds88

Nice, good to see the old boy had some faith in a young fella, now all you have to do is get it all done and take him for a ride round the block to repay his interest.

10. nickk

nickk

you can bet on that, I asked him the other day how well his stock A's stop considering they still have mechanical brakes and he was shocked to hear ive never rode in a car with them, so he said one day soon we'll take his out for a spin

11. Congratulations! You obviously made the right impression on the guy. Sound like a good start.

You know, I think I have never ridden in an A with mechanical brakes. I got my first Model A in 1958 and my dad insisted the brakes had to be changed before anything else. He had bought the car new in 1929 and kept it only a couple years before giving it to his mother. ...but the mechanical brakes were not a part of whatever fond memories he had of the car. One of the things that sold me on my newest Model A was that it already had the brakes converted to '40 Fords.

12. nickk

nickk

haha I like to keep it as stock as possible but i want it to run me down the road and STOP me from running off the road

13. puckm2

puckm2
    from oregon

It's criminal to post this without pics!!!!!!!!

14. nickk

nickk

15. nickk

nickk

it had a link but heres the actual picture, i just did it wrong the 1st time

16. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

You lucky dog...

17. Nice dude! It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks real solid. What are the plans for it?

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

18. nickk

nickk

yeah there is hardly any rust, maybe fenderless, but its getting juice brakes, a V8 banjo and and a 272

19. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

very nice find and good job landing the deal!

20. skoh73

skoh73

WOW! That is one sweet score. Sounds like one heck of an nice old guy. Do him proud.

21. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

nice, to be up front & honest is an admirable quality!

22. Congratulations Nick, I can tell from your story that you will make the old gentleman proud.

23. A Rodder

A Rodder

I Know what your feeling. Yesterday I bought a 30 coupe with a rumble seat. 65K miles and in great shape. I didn't want to start a thread because I don't have the "pics" in my computer. Mine is all stock but with 12 volt and hydraulic brakes. And by the way I have a 312 Tbird special that is earmarked for it. Keep us posted!

Excellent story

24. puckm2

puckm2
    from oregon

WOW, that breaks my heart!

25. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Good looking coupe and really cool of the owner to set up payments, not many people would do that. E bay and TV auctions have convinced too many people everything is worth a fortune, I've had Model As for over 25 years and you got a good deal.

26. nickk

nickk

yes im super stoked, never did I think someone would ever do something like payments for something like this, the guy has been awesome and extremely helpful, he even took me for a ride in his rumble seat couple yesterday and told me next time we get some free time he'd let me drive it!

27. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

Good job man, thats a real cool story and a awesome car!
    Now get that thing outside and post some more pics!

28. 29ToyA

29ToyA

29. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Very nice find! I hope its as solid as it looks, It looks very sound. Show us what you find when you strip it down.

David

30. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Shoulda seen the one I saw sell for $6k this past weekend,then the Viky that went for $7k-ish