Register now to get rid of these ads!

Zip Riser with Generator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32highboy54, Jul 17, 2011.

1. 32highboy54

32highboy54
    from southport

Need more help. Just bought a zip water pump riser and would like to know if i can run a after market powerhouse generator on a sbc. Does the generator mount in the stock position ? Or does it have to be raised also ? I know one long arm bracket mounts to the water pump and the other end mounts to the generator. Any pictures would help

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I am a huge fan of the ZIPS water pump riser BUT I have never used one with a generator. I believe the ZIP would work but not with the generator in the designed alternator position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have headers ... you would need this bracket ...

[​IMG]

Or the stock type exhaust manifold to mount the generator like Chevrolet did.

[​IMG]

So the generator would mount like this.

[​IMG]

Then you could cut the alternater bracket off the ZIP for a cleaner look.

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I used one in my Sedan. A highrise waterpump with a factory GM generator mount..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could have gotten a little higher on the generator. if you use a factory bracket you can weld on to the lower mount to get it to sit higher (above the valve cover).. or build a bracket that bolts to the intake bolts and allows it to sit above the valvecover (I assume that is what you are looking to do)

4. 32highboy54

32highboy54
    from southport

Thanks guys you were a great help

5. Boones, is that a Snow White water pump riser are you using? Without the brackets it looks a little cleaner than the Zip's , is there any differences to be aware of? Thanks

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  6. sy1356

sy1356

I am glad this came up. With the Zips riser does everything line up as if you were running a regular short waterpump?

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I am not Boones :) ... but the Snow White and the Zips do basically the same thing ... but the Snow White uses a 4 cylinder Opel water pump where the ZIP uses a standard 6 cylinder commonly available water pump. If you need a replacement on the road ... The ZIP pump is more available ... IMHO. Most any parts house should have one. Also the Chevrolet pump uses the standard SBC fan bolt pattern and the Opel pump does not. A aluminum pump is available for the ZIPs from AutoZone. ( BWP-386HDA ). The impeller is the same size as the ones in a 327 SBC water pump but it also has the plate on the rear of the impeller so improve flow. :D :D

[​IMG]

Yes ... in fact you can use the same upper and lower pulley that you use with your existing standard short SBC pump.

8. sy1356

sy1356

Great. Thanks for the info.

9. terry48435

terry48435

yes