Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 30, 2010.

1. uc4me

uc4me

x2....I've had my non-HAMB friendly 71 AMX since I was 17 and under "normal" circumstances no amount of $$$$ would get it... but if my wife or daughter need something (surgery, kidney, etc...)its gone

2. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Great story and pics Toner!

I'm going to do more sharing of these great hot rod accounts by printing off the story's with pics to go into a binder style book titled,
    "the Best of Rides that can't be bought"

When fellow rodders gather at the "Grand FinAlley" after local cruises, it will be there for guests to enjoy that may have missed them on the HAMB.
    Hopefully the thread will continue to pick up those that are still finding the Hamb and have a "Ride that can't be bought".

Thanks again to all for the great posts!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  3. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Paulweldit.

If the non friendly Hamb car you are referring to in your post is the Camaro you bought new in 66, you didn't miss the mark by much. And to keep it for 44 years!
    My wife and I had matching Camaros split by one year. (Mine 68, her's 67) Then we had matching 69 Darts (Mine Swinger, her's GT). Main thing you said was a glue that held things together and cars can do that for couples and family and friends and that's the important part of this thread.
    We now have matching 55 Oldsmobiles. (Mine, 2 door sedan hot rod, her's Holiday Hardtop custom). We ride together most of the time in one, but it's still cool to hit the nearby cruises in a pair of 1955 Oldsmobiles which we plan to do more often this year.
    Rides that can't be bought? Not if we can possibly avoid it

Will be putting your account into the book "Best of rides that can't be bought" (Would like a pic of that special car if you would consider).

Thanks again! Sir Woosh

4. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Thought I'd let you know that the Coupe is mine...

Here is a pic of it in its current state. I may need a drivers door, still cant find it. I didn't know what to do with it untill the guy down the street showed me his cars ...and an old Hemi. So now I have a 1955 Plymouth hemi with an automatic. That should look pretty good in here. Was thinking a boxed "A" frame, late 30's suspension with "juice" brakes, and a 28-9 "A" radiator shell. No fenders of course, with steel wheels. Dont have any of that....yet.

Here is a pic of my sisters 65. My bro-in-law is getting his shop put together and hopefully will get started on this before the year is out.

Thanks again

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Mickm

Mickm

I built this car as a tribute to what I think is the greatest hot rod ever. I feel 16 again when I driving it :Dand have no intention of selling ever.
    Like some have said, you never know what's coming at you so never-say-never.:cool:
    Cheers!
    Mickm

Attached Files:

6. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Had this one since 1981,too much Blood,Sweat and Years invested to $ell it

Attached Files:

7. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Our flathead rail dragster that we found out recently is the Scrima-Adams-Smith dragster will never have a price tag.

My dad bought when he was 17 years old for $200 bucks, and it's been in the family ever since. People always tell us that we should put it in a museum so it won't get damaged but we always laugh and ask why? It's a race car and it will always race!

It will always be in the family no matter what happens!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. fosheezie

fosheezie
    from las vegas

not hamb friendly but my first car was a 69 camaro rs/ss... my dad picked it up when i was 11, when they could still be bought cheap, and some of my best memories were working on it and all of his projects out in the garage when i was little.. and every time someone came over he always let people know that the black camaro was mine.. as long as there is a job to be had i will never sell that car.. ps.. some great stories on this thread..

9. 64gtoguy

64gtoguy

I'm all grown up now,, my kids are on their own, and I all I have to worry about is me. So, yes I can say I will never sell my Goat, I have had it for years,,, My daughter can do what she want with when I pushin up daisies.

Attached Files:

10. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

Well said Dave.

11. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I have not had my Acadian wagon as long as lots of others here, about 5 yrs now. It means a lot to me, and I don't plan on ever selling it. One of the great thing I like about it is it gives some special father/son time with my son. This pic was taken a couple of years ago at a local swap meet. We have attended together ever since I got my Acadian. He told me we will always attend the event together in the car.

Attached Files:

12. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

LOVE that dragster D! Glad you found the thread to include it.

I'm with you on the flames Mickm! Had a real compliment on mine recently when someone said it looked like the" California Kid " 1955.

Sure glad to see others still enjoying this thread. Great stories of treasured rods and family moments.

Most seem to recognize the good stories this thread was intended to share.

Thanks for all the wonderful contributions! ! ! ! !

Attached Files:

13. UncleJoey

UncleJoey

My avatar, 1958 Belair, has too much of my life in it. My mother was dying of cancer while I was restoring it. It was the perfect distraction while I was a busy single guy. I met my wife while driving this car. Our first date was in this car. Her Dad drove her to the church when we got married. We took this car on our honeymoon. We have tons of memories with this car...all good ones. It's appraised at a realistic $26,000.00 and it ain't for sale.
    For years a guy has pestered me to sell to him. Finally I said, sure, $50G's and its yours. He said it ain't worth that and walked away. My wife nearly killed me. She asked if I truly would let it go for that and I considered the situation for a second or two. I realised the memories and sentiment could never be relpaced. I'm glad buddy walked away. IT'S NOT FOR SALE.

14. In my avatar is the one car (truck) I'll never sell. Got her on the road in '73 and 320,000 miles later she'd all broken in the way I like her.

I often think " If I sold this to anyone I'd pity him having to answer the same old question for the rest of his ownershi: "Is that O'Brien's old truck?""

Dennis (on a Southwest flight with wi-fi on the way to Austin for the Lone Star Round Up but wish I was driving there:mad:)

15. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Really glad this thread was brought back into the spotlight.

Thanks again for the continued stories of love and devotion for those special wheels. Sure glad that 58 Belair is still with you!

16. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

absolutely love this car,bitchin!

17. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Thank you for starting it. I now have the chance to buy back all my Dads 26-7 Model T parts. This includes a roadster, rpu, and touring body as well as the coupe. :D

I just went and advertised my 64 Falcon, 62 Ranchero project, and 59 Dodge 1/2 project. Both on the HAMB classifieds and craigslist. :D

18. i built a 56 Nomad in mid 60's was my Highschool car
    never had wanted to sell it
    i did sell it to a kid that hes uncle gurented payment ( he died chocked on a piece of meat 2 weaks later)
    car disapeared and i was nwver payed the rest owed
    looked for it 20 years showed up on E Bay had high bid the auction was closed told that car was traded for a Conaro big block in Canada
    about 4 years later i get a call 3/27/11 high i understand you owned a nomad
    i want to know about it
    [​IMG]

19. HRod 50

HRod 50

Awesome!!!!!!! I dont mean to stir the pot AGAIN, but what an awesome response to that post...

Anyway, I don' know if I can legitimately answer this thread since I don't have my car finished yet, but I can not imagine ever selling it. I'm a total history weirdo, not in the sense that I know everything about the past. I just totally respect everything that came before me. What I mean is, there has been so many lives the cars we own have been a part of,either by the previous owners, the people who have ridden in them or the poeple who noticed it on the road. Gives me goose bumps. My car is 61 years old, that freaks me out. How many eyes, have looked at it? (I'm weird I know)
    My next car is something from the 30's, I love all the cars from that decade especially the coupes, 80yrs old..:eek:

20. still have t truck i built in early 70's still drive it
    never changed it much
    i think i will go satin black or flat want to keep it looking old
    i have had more pictures of this truck talen than any other i have owned
    [​IMG]

21. guy1unico

guy1unico

Had a ton of different cars I would have kept them all if money were not an issue. Some how I'm able to move up and down the scale as needed. It's very interesting looking back seeing that you cannot turn into a car nor take them to your grave but you can just enjoy the variety.

22. 65COMET

65COMET

My 65 Comet is "Not For Sale",I've had it since spring of 67! I wanted one when they came out but at a part time job at $1.00 an hour,no way,I finally got the chance to buy one while in the Army stationed in Kansas.I had a clown come up to me at a race and offer me a blank check,told him to leave,he came back and was talking shit to me,a good friend walked up and"politely"told him to leave while he was still able to walk!! I kept it through a divorce and while raising two sons. ROY.

23. Bull

Bull

24. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Sure has been cool to see all the rods and read the stories about what makes them special.

We all have our trials and burdens from time to time and it's good to know a passion for your ride can take you away from it for a little while.

Bringing this to the top again to catch up on those who have recently joined the ranks or missed it the first time.

Even if you don't have a story to share, enjoy these stories of hot rod passion as I have.

Thanks again for all who have contributed and enjoy their wheels like I do........

25. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Family needs?
    That only applies to those whose old cars are a 'hobby'.
    My family needed a ride, my sons grew up in my 39.
    My old cars are a way of life. I have never bought a new car and the newest car I have is a 1966 convertible. The only reason I have a car that new is because my parents had it for 25 years and died. I have had it for 16.
    My daily has been a 39 Ford for 17 years and my 31 coupe for 14
    Crazy price? Dont even bother to try me

26. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Now that's what I call passion and dedication. May be wrong for someone else, but it's perfect for you and that's what makes it right.

Thanks for being a die hard Rodder....................

27. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson
    Alliance Vendor

My 1972 Norton 750, My dad bought this for me new in 72

Attached Files:

28. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

I have 3 that I will never sell! 1 is my Dad's 55 gasser, 2 is my Mom's 70 Chevelle, and 3 is My 93 Z28. I came home from the hospital in the 55 and have wrenched on it with my dad ever since. I went to school everyday in the Chevelle till I was 14 and wrenched on it with my dad up until the divorce and then wrenched on it by myself with dad coaching me on the phone from 400 miles away. My car has to many stories to tell and out of the 5 people most of them stories involve there is only 2 of us still alive. It was my first new car at 17/18.

As far as selling them for family, home, and such. I can live with one kidney and the liver grows back.

29. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Don't think I've ever seen that 55 gasser of yours Nuckin......

Got any pics to share?

30. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

My 47 Ford truck. My Dads name is on the title as the previous owner. He gave it to me when he was dieing of cancer. I will give it to my son and hopefully he will give it to his. Thus the name Dadstoy.